Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to John Kelly Send a message via Yahoo to John Kelly
web site for flare pictures

Hi Folks,

I've uploaded a few more pictures, and will post more later. Here is the link:

http://metalshapers.org/cgi-bin/community/communityalbums.cgi?ownerid=9990093068868

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
Old 09-19-2002, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

John,

when are you going to start selling...
I'm in the market too.....

brant
Old 09-19-2002, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

John,

I think your Ghia flares are great. Now lets see, a Ghia, 2270 T4, Fuchs, etc........

Mike
Old 09-19-2002, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Hi Brant and Mike,

Thanks for the interest! Brant I'll be posting when the 914 flare waiting list is ready to go. A couple of months from now, I'm guessing. Mike, now that's a Ghia idea!

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
Old 09-19-2002, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
You should have been working at Porsche when the original GT flares were designed. Those are definitely an improvement. And, I second the earlier opinion: that red Ghia is screaming for a big T-IV.

Super work!

Bob G.
Old 09-19-2002, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Nice work John. I agree those flares are much more attractive than the factory ones.

Just curious, did you ever complete a "gull-wing Ghia"?
Old 09-19-2002, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I'm in!

Let us know when you start selling the 914 flares. They're much nicer than 'stock'.
Old 09-19-2002, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

You guys are going to make me have a big head, stop it! Seriously, thank you very much for the compliments, it means a
lot to me. Bob the red Ghia will have a Gene Berg type1 engine that the owner already has, which should do the job if it ever gets out of Doug Berg's shop. Chris, I did have one side of a gullwing doored Ghia working, but changed my design, and am only about 100 hours into my new design. It is a "lifetime" project. Hope to have it finished before I'm too old to enjoy it. the plan is ten years or so from now.

Thanks, John www.ghiaspecialties.com
Old 09-20-2002, 04:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Are they any easier to make than the ghia flare? Looks like there is less round shaping involved. I would hope so that way this long line your gonna have moves quickly.
Old 09-20-2002, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

These flares are great. I really like how the smooth curves blend into the form of the car. When looking at the pictures that were taken from the rear looking forward I almost didn't realize the front had the flare attached as well. It blended in that well. That's what I like. Extreme, yet subtle.
Old 09-20-2002, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
You guys are going to make me have a big head, stop it!

OK---
John, it's not that you do absolutely amazing work (as witnessed by your Ghia parts), it's mostly that the factory GT flares are soooo darned UGLY!!!

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-20-2002, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Okay... no one's asked this.

How much will you charge to produce a set of four flares?

Regards,

Last edited by kellzey; 10-10-2002 at 07:01 AM..
Old 09-20-2002, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Speedo959, These are a bit easier than Ghia flares...no wheel opening flange, and no welding.

jackmech, glad you like them

Dave, Thanks, I'm plummeting towards terra-firma now (insert smily emoticon)

Kellzey, I won't know for sure what the price will be until I've made a few more, which will take me a while to get to (previous obligations). I'm hoping to be able to do the rears for $200-$250 each, and the fronts for somewhere around $150-$175 each. Crating and shipping extra of course.

Here is a tentative waiting list in order of expressed interest. If I've missed anyone let me know, or if you want to be taken off. I did not include anyone who didn't sound interested. This no obligation list is just the order in which I will contact people for a possible spot on the real waiting list when I'm ready for deposits. Hope I did not screw this up. You can email me directly ( ghiafab@msn.com )or post here.

damaynard
jabb
Dan Koch
Speedo 959
madd_dogg_914
Mike Dr.
newestone
Jason Pankratz
SummerSledSix
Craig (rallyman)
Chief914
friarjohn
Jim Pierce
Foy Leatherman
Chris Tindall
Korijo
Craig C Laughlin (boxstr)
Null Chuck
JP Stein
dman (Duane)

Last edited by John Kelly; 12-18-2002 at 02:45 PM..
Old 09-20-2002, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Those flares are absolutly stunning. I would love a set of those on my car. I was just wondering though, how do you plan to mass produce them? By hand or do you have access to a press and dies? Count me in when they are ready.
DAN
Old 09-21-2002, 03:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Hi Dan,

I will not be mass producing the flares. They will be done by hand one at a time. I hope that everyone is not ready at once! I've added you to the list.

Old 09-21-2002, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Oh man it's growing. Better add me too.
Old 09-21-2002, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Done!

Old 09-21-2002, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Hand made, WOW! I'd like to be added also.
Old 09-22-2002, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Hi Newestone, I've added you to the list.

Old 09-23-2002, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

WHOA!!!! I've been gone for a while......things have changed and changed again (and again.......) BUT I have to say I LOVE these! Much as I like the GT flares......These are ABSOLUTE works of ART! Please put me on the list!!!!! Besides the obvious welding to install, what else may be needed to fit them? Inner fender wells, etc?

Thanks,

"Don't close your eyes before the crash....you'll miss the best part!"
Old 10-08-2002, 12:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: