Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
911buff

Garage
D-Jetronic question

Has anyone heard of a replacement for the trigger points in the dizzy. There are several electronic ignition replacements for points, what about the trigger points? Trigger points are getting harder and harder to find...at least German ones. just curious.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I know that someone made a one-off replacement out of two Pertronix or Pertronix-like units. I don't know how it worked or what it looked like, though.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 05-22-2014, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
911buff

Garage
That is funny, I was thinking of the exact same set up. I would like to go one step further and "reprogram" the brain to fire on each cylinder, not just twice per go around. I guess I am surprised that no one has developed at least a replacement for the factory set up! Seems like a viable market. Maybe I will have to work on that.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

the trigger points are not part of the ignition. the trigger points are to fire the injectors. note that VW Mercedes, and Volvo cars have the same D-jet trigger points, which opens up more sources to search for replacements.

I suppose an ignition type system could be used to trigger the injectors, optical or magnetic , so long as you can fit it, it can be made to work
Old 05-22-2014, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911buff View Post
I would like to go one step further and "reprogram" the brain to fire on each cylinder, not just twice per go around. I guess I am surprised that no one has developed at least a replacement for the factory set up!
Google up SDS (Simple Digital Systems), Megasquirt, Motec... And others.

None are exactly direct plug-in replacements for the 914's D-jet, because the market is not big enough to support a specific product just for the 914. They are generic and programmable for a variety of cars, including the 914. But there is work required to set them up and tune them, so...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 05-23-2014, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Most Mercedes trigger points are substantially different, and will not fit or work with our distributors. Volvo ones do, though. My suggestion is to buy a set now "if" you still can. BTW, it's pretty well known in the biz that the MB trigger points are often junk right out of the box. THAT gets old in a hurry ................

The Cap'n

Last edited by The cap'n; 05-23-2014 at 02:09 PM..
Old 05-23-2014, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: