Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Would you 916?

I was just wondering, and be honest, would you have chosen the 916 over the Ferrari Dino if given the oppertunity. This is totally hypothetical. I was not even born then, but know if money were not a factor I would have jumped at the chance. These cars are just simply awesome(914's). They have been a part of me since I was thirteen and we went to look at a 74 metalic blue 2ltr with 108k miles that a college kid was selling for 2 grand. My sister needed a car, but my dad said no. I could never wash this car from my mind. I eventually got one. A 75 2ltr and got royaly screwed in the process, but at least I had one in my possesion. I am almost 28 now and still can't get enough of them. I so wish he had bought that 74. What a beauty(Through rose colored glasses I'm sure it had major issues. My Dad stills says "that was just a rusty old thing") and he scarred me for life She got a ford EXP instead and then I got it. At least it was a car, but it was no 914. So for me it would have to be the 916, and I love Ferraris. I would take one over any 911 any day, but not my 914. Nope they're special. JMHOP. NARPS RULE!
Old 09-19-2002, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Yes i would
"NARPS"?
Old 09-19-2002, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Nope, I would have chosen the Dino. The Dino was an inexpencive Ferrari looking similar to a more expencive model. The 916 was an expencive Porsche looking exactly (to most) like a much lesser priced model (the 914/4).

Also, I'm one of those that bought the 914 because it was the only Porsche I could afford (and still be air cooled). After owning one, and learning about the model, I have learned to love them, but I'm sure I wouldn't have chosen it from a dealer and certanly not a $25000 model when I could get a Ferrari instead.

Funny, after many years, Porsche has chosen to disassociate itself from the 914 model even though it was a sales success. Meanwhile, Ferrari, who disowned the Dino initially, has chosen to embrace the model.
Old 09-19-2002, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The Dino 246 GT was one of my dream cars back when I was 16 (about 20 years ago now). I remember always seeing them in the paper for around $30K back then. For the price of one today you could buy about 15 really clean 914-4s.
Old 09-19-2002, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Here is a picture of the Peter Gregg 916 at Daytona at the November '81 IMSA race.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 916 at daytona 82.jpg (35.5 KB, 280 views)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 09-19-2002, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I'm afraid I would've gone for the Dino 246GT Spyder.

When I was in high school, my English teacher had a beautiful new Dino 246GT Spyder that she drove to school every day in June and September. It was yellow. Bright yellow. It was a beautiful machine and you could hear it screaming up the hill to school (she drove it hard). She even gave people in our AP English class very short rides in it. That V6 sounded wonderful.

...And she chose it over a Lamborghini Miura because she'd already had one of those and didn't like it!!!!!!!

Her son totaled it. We've never forgiven him.

Ah, the memories.

Even today, it would be a hard call. Now, if the 916 had come in a Targa, it would be a no-brainer....
Old 09-19-2002, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Sad to say, but I'd probably have picked the Dino.

Then again, I probably won't be in a situation where I can buy either one (not even a good 916 replica!) for a looooong time anyway...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-20-2002, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I never knew how cool those dino's were until looking at them the past day or so. I love the interior. too bad it seems nice ones are $60k these days. having one of those and a nicely done six conversion would be great.
Old 09-20-2002, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

Being that my mother raced a 356 Speedster in the 50s, I of course am drawn towards the 916, but I still like the clean look of the 914-6GT, so that is what I'm building a replica of, in steel!!

20+ year PCA member

Many Cool Porsches, Projects& Parts, Vintage BMX bikes too

http://www.bvdmotorsports.com
Active Rennlist Member.
http://members.rennlist.com/racerbvd/
See blog for my For Sale & Wanted List.
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=337&
Old 09-20-2002, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

916 $$

I thought that when the 916 came out ('72), it was supposed to be around $12-14,000. I think that $25-30G was Turbo Carrera $$ a few years later in '76 (that was BIG $$ back then).
I always liked Daytonas and Dinos... but given the chance, between a Dino or a 916 with its 2.4 S... I'd still take the 916. Besides, I've seen Dinos running around before. I've only seen pictures of a 916 in the R & T article and a photo of the one that Otis Chandler owned. The Otis Chandler photo was on the wall of a hallway in his museum. I think that the R & T article was on the Peter Gregg car. Yeah... a 916... I'm dreaming....
Old 09-20-2002, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: