Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

914 goes dead

I have some sort of electrical problem with my 914 2.0 1975

When I turn the key the starter solenoid clicks (sounds like the starter solenoid) and all the electrics go dead. No fuses are blown.
If I disconnect the battery and then reconnect the power comes back (sometimes). If I try to start again it will click and go dead again or it will start.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 05-28-2014, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Have the battery ck'd out,...
Old 05-28-2014, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Make sure your ground from the battery to the body is a good clean connection.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 05-28-2014, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Since you provided very little information, the replies will be very general in nature. I would suggest a complete check of all electrical wires, switches, connectors and battery to see what is in spec and what needs replacement. Sounds like the starter is pulling so much power it is shocking the battery and it dies. Haynes used to make an automotive electrical troubleshooting and repair manual and I gave mine away many years ago to a new 914 owner.

Some things you will need if you don't already have are multi meter, long test cables and a remote starter which is handy as it can bypass the whole key system.

As a rule of thumb we used to replace the large battery power supply and ground cables every two years due to their exposure to high heat. I have seen cars with starting problems that had original cables and they were so stiff and resistant no power could get through.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

914 goes dead

Well thanks for the reply's

Just a little extra information;
The connector which connects the 4 red wires to the + connector clamp on the battery is very hot not due to engine heat but heating from the current being drawn even when engine runs only for a couple of minutes.

Could the problem be due to the cut out relay located under the passenger seat?

All power is lost no lights or dial lighting works even with new battery. its like a switch has opened and cut off all power from the battery
Old 05-28-2014, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Sounds like you have a bad connection at that four-way.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 05-28-2014, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I have found that electrical connectors that are sold at boating and marine supply stores are better quality than the run of the mill auto part stores. Try a replacement 4-way from one of these.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 05-29-2014, 04:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: