Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Can I take the heads off w/ engine in car?

I have a 73 1.7L 914 and my current project was just to replace the push rod tube seals... but noticed one of the valves was beat up on the end. I am wondering if I can remove the heads without taking the engine out of the car? I don't want to go any further right now if I will not have enough room to pull those out..... Has anyone done this before and if so... have any tips for me? Any feed back would be great!

ASiDiE
Old 09-20-2002, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
You can allegedly do it, but I sure as heck wouldn't want to!!

I think you wind up having to lower the engine down so that the head will clear the suspension console. Frankly, I think the delta between that much work and dropping it out the whole way is less than the extra hassle of working around the body of the car the whole time.

But that's just IMHO.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-20-2002, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I had a tough time getting the heads off with the engine out of the car! Seriously, it is easier to just drop the engine. You can try it with the engine in there, but it is going to be VERY hard, and with the lack of leverage you need to unbolt the heads, it could be a major PITA.
Old 09-20-2002, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Its really not woth the effort.... I would bite the bullet and drop the engine
Old 09-20-2002, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I have had the motor/tranny on the ground and out from under the car in 43 minute. I will PROMISE you that you will spend 3 or 4 times that amount of time trying to wiggle a head off the studs next to a suspension console. You can also put your shoe on without untying it first, but it is just easier to untie is and tie it back up when you are done.

just my 2.
Old 09-20-2002, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I had this dilemma a week and a half after I bought my 914. We dropped the engine and still had an interesting time getting the heads off. Use the tech article here on removing the engine; it is very well written and thought out.
2k2 VW New Beetle Turbo S
Old 09-21-2002, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
engine drop or not?

You're much better off dropping the engine! The pushrod tubes are enough of a pain to swap out let alone the heads. I have a one-man method I've used several times. It's easier and safer than the method in the Pelican Tech article.(No offence guys, I still love ya). You'll also be surprised at how many more things you can get at and clean up with the engine out of the way. Email me and I'll share my drop method with you - it's a little too long to write here.
Don
Race a Porsche - There's more to life than left turns!
Old 10-08-2002, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: