Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Weber Carb Question

The new weber carbs I bought have the starting circuit and the little lever on the side to actuate it. These are going on my race car which is a bear to keep running when cold so I figured they might be handy to leave on and use. Does anyone use the start circuit on their Webers or are they all blocked off? Any disadvantages to leaving them on?
Old 09-20-2002, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
John, I have a 9 month old set of 40's w/ cam and have been running them with the start circuit sealed.

When start the car I let the fuel system pressurize then start the car, it fires almost immediately and idles great cold. (I am getting >20 mpg so I don't think it is running too rich.)
Old 09-20-2002, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

i posted a pict in june (thread: sunny sat in bremerton). a guy had attached some power door lock actuators from a chevy on his enrichment arms. worked like chokes. i thought it was very clever.

kevin
Old 09-20-2002, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The solenoids are a neat idea. I plan to use the heater lever and a pair of small cables so I can vary the amount of movement. I'll post some picts if it works. Thanks
Old 09-20-2002, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

John,

Clay Perrine who posts here (every once in awhile) ran this setup on a 2.0 with some success.

I have a set that I need to off (40's)

B
Old 09-20-2002, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

john, the way his were set up was a toggle on the dash (i think). the pupose was as a starting aid only. once warm, not needed. they are an all or nothing deal (like door locks). when i see him again i'll ask for more details. if there was enough interest he might be persuaded to write a tech article.did you see the pictures? the selenoids for this set up are dirt cheap, i'll bet you local wrecking yard has tons of them. i was wondering about the heater valves but since you're s.d.,who needs em ?

kevin

Last edited by Kevin Powers; 09-20-2002 at 05:44 PM..
Old 09-20-2002, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

How much of an idle increase did he get, if you remember when the circuit was active? My engine is a fairly radical 2.5l and takes a while to get warmed up so the idle is happy.
Old 09-20-2002, 08:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
The "chokes" are usually removed due to clearance problems with the linkage. The linkage that came with my carbs cleared them, but when I changed it with Webers' hex bar linkage they had to be blocked off for clearance. In operation they are really a simple carb attatched to the carb that bypasses the throttle plate. I believe when I pulled the levers with the car running it would bring the idle up from 900 to around 2000 rpm.
Old 09-20-2002, 09:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Hi John,

The idle rev will double when the levers are activated... it will also make some kind of interesting sound, due to the fact that the sound can't be absorbed by the airfilters...
In case you life in a warm or moderate region you might be able start the car without too much problems.
Nevertheless the idea with the powerlocks sounds good and it seems like it would not be too difficult to build even without a tech article ... it is more the idea that counts!

Patrick
Old 09-21-2002, 04:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

i checked the posting and i sent anyone looking for pictures on a wild goose chase. sorry to those whose time i wasted. here's the one i thought i posted. the triad linkage setup seems to eliminate those pesky clearance issues. you can also see the spherical connection for the cross bar, pretty slick

kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg see text.jpg (38.9 KB, 145 views)

Last edited by Kevin Powers; 09-21-2002 at 05:34 AM..
Old 09-21-2002, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: