Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to madd_dogg_914
914 engine swap

I am curious if there is anyone out there who would have and install all of the 914-6 goodies, including a good running engine. Basically looking for a plug and play conversion where I dont have to do a TON of work (I just dont have the time . . . $$$ but no time) Just want to see if this is even possible. It is a long shot I know, and I would imagine most mechanics would do it for about $20000 and I am looking for something a little less than that.

Thanks for any help

Chris
Old 09-20-2002, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I can do the complete conversion for 8k.

This is EVERYTHING.

Plan on it taking about a month total.

The engine is a short stroke 2.5 with all factory 6 engine tin and oil cooler.

B
Old 09-20-2002, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
When would you be able to do the work? My car is in the body shop right now for a cosmetic restoration. Should have it back in about one or two months. Though it would be hard to live without her for another month, I could bring myself to do it. And you are very close to me. My Aunt lives in Mountain View, it is only like 40 minutes away. In terms of $$$ would you want all up front, or partial?

Thanks
Chris
914 LOVER!!!
Old 09-20-2002, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Is this like a racing motor. I am looking for daily driver, not racing, just curious
Old 09-20-2002, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
*BUMP*
Old 09-21-2002, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Its not a racing engine. It was a fairly popular conversion to early 911 engines.

Half down would get me started. Your time frame would have me building the car in Novato at the new shop. Much farther away than the Palo Alto shop I currently work out of.

Let me get together a list of everything included as well as some pics of the parts. The engine is ready right now (complete with tranny and exhaust) to bolt into a 914 conversion as we speak.

I'm betting with proper scheduling, I could have it done much faster than 30 days. You should think about having the body shop weld in the RJ mount while its there. I would also think about having the oil tank mounted while in the body shop.

Some money down, and you would get the tank and RJ mount.

B
Old 09-21-2002, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I just talked to the body guy, he said he wouldn't want to weld anything in. He aint the brightest, but what are you gonna do. The engine is still in the car, so I think that is his biggest qualm, he doesn't want to pull the engine. Any-hoo. He said probably closer to the two months mark, I dont mind a longer drive, so the new shop is no problem. I guess the thing to do now is just give me your e-mail address and I will e-mail you once I get the car back in my possession. If you want some money now, just to know I am serious that would be cool, but I will e-mail you about all of that.

Thanks a TON!

Chris
914 LOVER!!!
Old 09-21-2002, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

No problemo:

I A-S-S-U-M-E-D the engine was out. I can weld the mount and cut the oil tank in. How does the engine compartment look ?? I normally either want this flawless and clean or I will do it prior to welding in the RJ mount. I stock a RJ mount..so its ready to go at all times.

To help keep Pelican's webiste paid for monthly. I'll make a list of new parts you should purchase from them (if you so choose). This will be minor crap like shift bushings (if needed) and CV gaskets..blah blah..

Oh.. Email address: Brad@All914.com

Last edited by Brad Roberts; 09-21-2002 at 12:22 PM..
Old 09-21-2002, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Thanks--this thread would be much better continued over direct e-mail, rather than on the BBS.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-22-2002, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Dave is bored////
Old 09-22-2002, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

What's the typical hp of a short stroke 2.5?
Old 09-22-2002, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Talking

Come on Dave... I told him to buy parts from PP

I did my part.

Anthony,

Typical for 2.5 is 150-160 reliably.

B
Old 09-22-2002, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

There is really no such animal as a "typcal 2.5L". The options of cams, P/Cs, heads, yada,.... make it too unpredictable.

With 90mm RS pistons (compression really sux), T cams, & 32mm ports in the heads, carbs, WAG, 140/160 HP. A balls out race set-up.......ad 80/100 ponies......these motors really rev.
Old 09-22-2002, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I could have used "typical for our area" This particular engine shares the same build specs as 4 others I have ran across locally.

Kinda like all the 3.4l engines (8-10) being ran locally. I would have to do some digging, but I'm betting there was a AutoX class or time trial class that had a engine size limit of 2.7 (or something) I know some PCA local rules have prompted the those 8-10 people I spoke of above to build 3.4l engines for a certain class.

Total guessing on my part, but I have witnessed groups of people running the same engine combinations (because so and so won with it last year) Wouldnt surprise me if this is the case with the 4 2.5's I have across.

B
Old 09-22-2002, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

2.5L is the limit for most vintage racing.....914 cars, at least.
....thas what a vintage racer told me, nowhow.
Old 09-22-2002, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Ahhh very good. I knew they where popular for some reason.

B
Old 09-22-2002, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

yeah, my understanding is that the "weird" ~2.5, ~3.0 and ~3.5 configurations were all initially developed in response to class regs. So you see these 2.8-2.9's, 3.4's and so on.

I thought about doing a 2.5 in an early 911 (either my old E or a different car) but starting from scratch the bang-for-buck didn't really look worth it -- I wasn't trying to fit into a 2.5 size limit at the time.

For street use, a high-compression, high-revving, high-piston-speed short stroke motor doesn't seem like the best bet to me. I'd rather have a "thumper" with good torque < 4K rpms. For a track car, different story and they sound like a lot of fun.
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle
Old 09-22-2002, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I've only heard of one or two places that have a 2.5L class limit on anything. SCCA has a particular class with a 2.8L limit, so you'll see quite a few 914-6es and 911s with 2.7 motors built up to 2.8L. Often on aluminum cases, but also often on mag 7R cases.

Ferg's car was a 2.8, as was the old De Martini car. And one of the options Herzog is considering for his Six is a 2.8 motor. And I have seen a few other 2.8s locally, but I don't recall the names.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-23-2002, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: