Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Johnny from Black Forest throws Tantrum

I took my 914 to Black Forest today for an appointment that I had made just last week. I dropped it off about 07:15 and returned to work, which took over an hour and half on the city bus. When I arrived at the office there was a voice message waiting for me. It was John at Black Forest. In his message he stated that he wanted me to call him and let him know what work I needed to have done. I thought it was a rather strange since I had already told his staff what I wanted done.

I then called him and when I told him who I was he threw a major sub-adolescent type fit. He yelled: Come get your F’n car and never F’n bring it back and then hung up. Apparently, someone told him that I was “ripping” (bad mouthing) Black Forest on the Internet! Total news to me! The only thing I could think of was a thread that I posted once on Pelican BBS. You may or may not recall this thread; it was few weeks back, at least and was really benign. My post was titled: “Good repair shops in San Diego” or something like that. In my post, I requested assistance in finding a good repair shop. I also voiced a few of my concerns regarding the past bad service that I had received from a local shop.

I purposely withheld the shop’s name because I thought it was the right thing to do, since I hadn’t yet concluded whether or not they were totally at fault for the previous problems. In fact, some of the mistakes they made hadn’t even been brought to their attention at that time, so how could I complain about their lack of action. Anyway, as it turns out the one person on this BBS who insisted in knowing the shop’s name told John this lie for what reason I don’t know and don’t care. When they find out the truth I wonder if they will have the balls to apologize. Doubt it!!!

Now for the original post where many of you suggested that I go with Volker’s German Auto Care Clinic I’ve decided to do so and thank you for your advice. I had a short talk with them today and was very impressed with their knowledge. As for Black Forest… I can only speak about my own experience with them. In my opinion they are fair at best and are clearly over priced for the minimal service that they provide to their customers, especially when it come to things that they should warranty. But maybe you need to see for yourself.

P.S. to the liar. You were the only one that I told so I know who you are. You should be ashamed. What did you get out this... a free license plate frame or a pat on the head?
Old 09-20-2002, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Whoa, I don't know if anyone person talked to Black Forest or not but I do know that most if not all shops in all of So Cal read most all the Porsche related BBS's several times a week to keep up with what is happening, this includes PP, AirCooled Net, the vintage sites and all the PCA sites. You can tell by their posts although sometimes you have to know who is writing. Good luck at Volker's.
Old 09-20-2002, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
I know you told me the name of the shop in a PM. However, I have never had any dealings with Black Forest. I've called them a couple of times but never used them. Hope you don't think I'm the informant!

James
Old 09-21-2002, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Smile

James,

Since, I don't know you, I'll take your word as the truth. Someone could have easily found out from previous posts. I believe I may have noted them as the shop that provided my engine rebuild etc. in the past. Besides, I have no other reason to suspect you at all. Thanks James!

Jon
Old 09-21-2002, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

I had a similar experience with the abuse and hang up the phone deal just recently with another shop here in SoCal. I reported this over on the 911 BBS, but then had it pulled by the moderator. It just doesn't do well to take these businesses down here. We should stick to helping each other with positive info.

But, on the other hand, I guess they have so much work that they can act that way. Too bad. You notice that my avitar says,"Too many rats in the cage." This type of behavior is what it refers to.
Old 09-21-2002, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Very interesting.

A guy who used to work for me in Texas moved to SD and worked at BFR for several years before opening his own shop in SD. He told me some of the same stories. Must be a trend.

I wont yell at you... you'll have to follow me around the shop as I work on 10 projects..or you'll have to talk to me while I have a cell phone in my ear.

I think that is enough torture for people...LOL

Sorry your experience was negative.

To stand up for the shops: You cant win them all. I have plenty of people that hate me and wont let me even try to make things good between us.

B
Old 09-21-2002, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I used to work on industrial equipment with no hassle from the customers. Then I worked in a garage working on customers personal cars. Always seemed like someone was getting upset. That's why when I do a side job now, I make sure I know them really well. Too many headaches otherwise. B I feel your pain. lol Oh and one more thing the little japanese guy I worked for was always a gentleman.......even if the customer was in the wrong.

Last edited by Speedo959; 09-21-2002 at 01:06 PM..
Old 09-21-2002, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
The internet is a powerful and wide reaching forum. I guess you found out just how wide your reach was. People can and will interpet the same post several different ways. This is flat text. No emotion. Never ceases to amaze me. If I ever talked to a customer like that when I had my shop I don't think I would have ever had another one. I guess the rat thing in the other response has more than one meaning. The only advise I have for you is to share an old piece of advise offered to me by an old retired attorney friend. I was over visiting him one day and ranting and raving about how I felt I was getting screwed over by this guy, and asking him what he thought I should do about it. He just pipes up and say's, "HEY Who's got the problem?" He asked me if it was my doing, or someone elses deal. I said It's not my problem. My friend said, " don't make it your problem then, let it go and move on" SO.. My advise.. Who's got the Problem?
WCC 04 done by the kids
Who says Aliens only abduct people.
Old 09-21-2002, 10:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Smile

Your friend is right! Its not my problem and certainly not my loss! Black forest? Never heard of them!.....
Old 09-22-2002, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

The internet can be a two edged sword. While it is a wonderful forum to meet enthusiasts, share information, stories, etc , etc in the pursuit of our Porsche hobby or business, it's "in everyone's face- spread like wildfire" component can easily hurt hard won reputations of decent repair facilities.
Let's face it, us shops are out to make a decent living. Hence we can expect to make a fair profit from our work. Porsche certainly doesn't pay us to work on the cars!
We are a diminishing breed: Yet higher insurance premiums (thank you Al Queda), operating costs, more government controls, diminishing pool of quality techs, clients bringing their own parts, lack of info on the new cars, and more squeeze the independants more and more each month. Now add to all this that we are human beings just like yourself, hence we will make mistakes.
So the next time you are p.o.-ed at your shop, give them the benefit of the doubt and discuss your situation with them, before blasting off on the boards. I am certain you will find a much more receptive ear AND action on your concerns that way.
Old 09-23-2002, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

while we're talking about shops...

if you life in SF, CA I would suggest city automotive located in downtown. he only does porsche and VW, specializing in the older cars. it's owned and operated by an old german guy named roelph who's been the same spot for 35 years or so. not in the best area, but he keeps his eye on things well (baseball bat by front door). he's a 1 man show, does it all from phones, to cashier, to working on the cars. he's always really fair and friendly. he once fixed my car for free and also knocked out my rear hubs for free (right in the middle of his work on my unannounced visit).
Old 09-23-2002, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
TRE Cup,

I agree with your message but when the shop owner yells at you to come get your F'n car and never F'n bring it back, then hangs up! There isn't much room for discussion! And others should be warned of that kind of childish behavior.

Jon
Old 09-23-2002, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

For Los Angeles, Pelican recommends Precision Tech Motorsports in Marina del Rey, and Tony Callas of Callas Rennsport in Torrance. Alex (PreTech) is a one-man shop. Tony is a mechanic for factory sponsored race teams (a look at his office is worth the drive down there - especially the 917 case...)

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your BMW 3-Series101 Projects for Your Porsche 911How to Rebuild & Modify Porsche 911 Engines101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster & Cayman101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997 • SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)

Check out our new site: Dempsey Motorsports
Old 09-23-2002, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Agreed- there is no place in business for that type of behavior. We are all adults right? Well ... most of the time, my latest 1/18 die cast just came in. Gotta go open the box!
Old 09-23-2002, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Hmmmmmm.......
Old 09-23-2002, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: