Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Best Clutch/Flywheel package for 3.0/3.2

Looking for the best clutch/flywheel/pressure plate package for my six conversion.

In process of building a 3.0/3.2L moto using a 1978 3.0L long block, 3.2 Mahle P&Cs, Elgin Modified S Cams, Electromotive Ignition, 40mm or 46 mm Carbs, and headers. Should push out about 250+HP.

This is a street car, so I'm looking for a smooth and comfortable clutch/pressure plate package and flywheel to mate the 3.0 to the side shift tranny but can handle the HP.

Tranny has billet intermediate plate, billet side cover, no bearings, etc.

Any recommendations on products or company's?

Kennedy Engeering? Centerforce clutches?

What are my options?

Thanks,
Old 09-21-2002, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Kennedy can fix you up with what you need/want. Reasonable prices, also.

One thing to note:
If you're using the stock clutch linkage, you don't wanna' get too carried away with a high pressure clutch. I use Kennedy's 215 mm Stage I and would consider their Stage II to be about the max for the stock linkage (WAG).

The Stage I is holding up well to the considerable abuse I give it. Pedal pressure is higher than the 2.0L t-4 clutch, but not objectionably so. I'm putting 210hp (or so) thru it, but with less torque than the 3.2L you're considering. It prolly has 50-60 AX passes on it with no problems.

The firewall tube, pivot wheel and the cable itself (and the little plastic thingy on the end) are all weak points......not to mention the 901's first gear (but that's another thread).
Old 09-21-2002, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

JP

That's the issue my engine/tranny guy is worried about... the clutch linkage. They can be know to get worn out and break with the excessive pressure and heavy use.

I have a feeling that Kennedy should be able to "fix me up".

Regards,
Old 09-21-2002, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Kennedy will set you up for 750$

I just bought their stageII setup for a customers car (3.2)

I was amazed at how light the pedal was (I actually thought they sent us the wrong setup)

Go 9 inch stage 2 with a stock style spring centered disc.

The solid center disc is a little rough for the average street guy.

B
Old 09-21-2002, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: