Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

How rare is it for shops to let...

...customers work on their own cars (rent space)?

A previous post by Brad ( 914/ 4 to 6 coversion ) got me to thinking: how common is it for a shop to rent space / teach customers to work on their own cars? To me, it seems like a great concept for the shop (letting the customer do the grunt work) and for the customer who gets some technical education, confidence, and having a good wrench as a backup when doing a new job for the first time.

A second question: Are there any in the Portland (OR) area

Color me curious....

Scott
Old 09-22-2002, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
They had one of those in the movie "Christine"...

Of course our cars aren't THAT posessed...are they?
2k2 VW New Beetle Turbo S
Old 09-22-2002, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I dunno about any bidnesses that offer that service in the Portland area, however......

Ulf goes up on blocks in November and that will make some extra space in my shop......I gots tools. My expertise is.....ah...questionable, tho.
If you're interested, lemeno.
Old 09-22-2002, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

I was trying to get a couple of guys together to buy a building that is for sale near my office& storage warehouse. Our concept was, a hobby shop with a lift, compressors, blast cabinet, and people (only ones we knew) would rent the space for storing their track or project cars and there is outside storage for trailers. To really make it a club house, my plan was to convert 2,000 of the 11,800SF building on over an acre fenced lot, into a drivers lounge, huge TV with surround sound for watching the races, ball games ect and a bar with small kitchen. One of the guys (the one with the most $$$), so my dream building is still sitting for sale until I can figure out how to do it

20+ year PCA member

Many Cool Porsches, Projects& Parts, Vintage BMX bikes too

http://www.bvdmotorsports.com
Active Rennlist Member.
http://members.rennlist.com/racerbvd/
See blog for my For Sale & Wanted List.
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=337&
Old 09-22-2002, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

There used to be rent-a-space shops fully equipted with tools to rent even. Insurance killed them. If you think about it, insurance companies and their lobbys are the most powerful force in our nation. Nothing can top them unless it's Microsoft, and then I wonder, how much insurance do they pay a year.
Old 09-22-2002, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Ah, yes... In$urance Companie$... they take all the fun out of everything... (and put the fun back in...if you're willing to pay)

Quote:
If you're interested, lemeno.
mebbe someday... I *almost* have my wife convinced that I should be able to build a 30" high platform for the car in the garage

...maybe we could finace a shop at Camp914... hmmmmm.

Christine? She reminded me of my college roomates Dodge Dart.... Mine's "Olga" and she's one pissed off valkyrie right now: shoots sparks from her license plate lights whenever they come on (and then blows the fuse). Somehow, her rear bumper is getting current 'cause everything is fine until I start to screw in the lights...

... I didn't really want people to read my plates anyway
Old 09-22-2002, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

The only pro wrenches I've talked to on this subject only do this kind of thing "after hours" i.e. weekends or nites when the shop is officially closed. You're on personal time, off the record.

People in the US are just too lawsuit-happy. Worker's Comp and liability insurance premiums for small businesses have been going thru the roof lately. Meanwhile, the insurance co's and big law firms are rolling in cash.
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle

Last edited by campbellcj; 09-22-2002 at 08:05 PM..
Old 09-22-2002, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

Of the four of us who were going to do this "hobby" shop, one is a successful insurance agent with mutable offices and who is into muscle cars and thinking about buying another friend's 400hp 930, another is in charge of small business loans at a prominent bank, and tracks a 986, myself, and the guy who bailed, his wife wanted a new boat. So we at least had most of the bases covered, and it wasn't going to be open to the general public. Of course, I'm one of the lucky few, since a friend who has a shop lets me work on my stuff on weekends

20+ year PCA member

Many Cool Porsches, Projects& Parts, Vintage BMX bikes too

http://www.bvdmotorsports.com
Active Rennlist Member.
http://members.rennlist.com/racerbvd/
See blog for my For Sale & Wanted List.
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=337&
Old 09-22-2002, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

You need to contact some air plane guy's. They do this all the time.

The insurance: we found it for 5k a year.

Great concept, but the thing that really really pisses me off is how messy people can be. I never understood why my MOM busted my ass for years telling me to turn off lights as I exited a room or told me to pick up after myself... I now know why. I get to witness first hand... pigs.

My advise: set down a code of rules imediately with whomever rents from you. I should have treated this one like a high school auto shop where people "check" tools out. This way you know where everything is and can bust their ass when they dont bring the back to the "toolroom"

B
Old 09-23-2002, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Yep, insurance and liability is the major limiting factor...

I have had peple ask me if they could work on the car here,or if I would teach them....

My reply is 50 bucks an hour if I fix it, 150 if I teach you how..
www.massivetype4.com
Old 09-23-2002, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I'm normally the same way, but I knew I wouldnt be staying in the current location and most of my 914 buddies are in the Silicon Valley area. I wont have to deal with them when I'm full time an hour and half away at another location (some of them)

B
Old 09-23-2002, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

So what, now your employees are gonna have to drive another hour and a half to work? Or you gonna ditch them too? Just curious. I remember I had a guy come over who wanted me to teach him how to install a cam in his mustang. Man that dude was a pig! Good friend, but some people need a lesson in shop manners. If there is such a thing.

Last edited by Speedo959; 09-23-2002 at 07:27 PM..
Old 09-23-2002, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Your assuming people get paid that work for me.. only one (the guy who does 90% of the fab work) The rest work for parts or my personal labor. The fab guy is going north with me.

B
Old 09-23-2002, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

It's good to know at least one guy can stand you..........just kidding.
Old 09-23-2002, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Ha ha... Its business. I can drum up enough fab and race car related work to keep me and him busy. He just returned from MidOhio and the Runoffs where he was crew chief for a 2 car Eproduction team. In other words.. he gets along with me because he is paid very well and we both share the same work ethic.

B
Old 09-23-2002, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Yeah, and some people work for him just for the experience, or to see the inside of an engine case, or to be able to take pictures of the various bits that are around the shop....

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-24-2002, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Yeah, SOME person who happens to be the GURU tech guy for all the 914 lists.. learns from us...LOL LOL

B
Old 09-24-2002, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

OUCH !!!!

Hey Dave:

Are we going to be able to make fun of you in person on Saturday or Sunday??

Saturday we will be at the shop finishing the 2"/3" drop on my truck

and of course Sunday is Sawzall Day
Old 09-24-2002, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I'll probably head over with y'all on Saturday after the 9:14 AM breakfast.

An no, it ain't "OUCH". It's learning, plain and simple! How can I ever keep ahead of (some of) the rest of you guys if I don't keep learning?

Hey, besides--maybe I'll get a clue and be able to fix my own car one of these days.... (Now that's an "OUCH"!! )

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-24-2002, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

I have thought long and hard about this (3 minutes).

You couldnt pay me to do what Dave does for free.

Stick with it Dave, I'm behind you all the way.

Next thing you know, I'll hire you on the weekends to travel with our race team to be the PR guy for SSI.

B
Old 09-24-2002, 09:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: