Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Favorite cam for 2 litre

Looking for favorite 2.0 cam
Street driving
Carbs
Had a 272* dur / Scat
Am rebuilding mtr mostly stock
and chance to try something new.
thanks
Old 06-20-2014, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I would suggest getting a cam that brings on the torque as soon as possible and has as flat a torque curve as possible too. Since type 4 engines loose life span when rev'd high, a good torque producer is the way to go. As for brand.......any will do.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

John the lower the number the more 'bottom torque' ....so lower than a 272?
You can hide what I know about cam profiles under your thumb nail....
Old 06-20-2014, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

In that case, it is time to increase your knowledge base on cams. Along with them, heads, valves, rocker arms, springs all play a part in how well an engine will work and for how long.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Any suggested reading?
Old 06-21-2014, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

John, the heads are the big valve 914 2.0 ...so thin with valve size that most crack even normally...stock new. And bigger valves kills velocity so I use good stock ones.
If I double spring the valves I just make the engine work harder to operate..so just good singles.
The rocker arms are the 2 part sets with no small center spring and have the large adjustments nuts.
Don't really have enough money to do any lite trick rods, pistons, crank work....
So I am down to the cam, and most of the joy comes from a solid launch...so a bottom end torque gave me a 272* ...the longer/higher the duration the more horse at high rpm...I can go to 300....Stock is 270.
So last time I went 272* and thought with the years of experience at PP....maybe some one has a better idea before I close the two halves of the motor together.
Still more than willing to read, take a class, heck I'd wash parts in a machine shop, just to watch somebody good.

Last edited by steve rush; 06-21-2014 at 07:50 AM.. Reason: spell
Old 06-21-2014, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

John I meant to add that I live on an island where gas is another 75 cents higher than mainland.
When I drive on the mainland I add a touch of advance and go a little richer on carbs to celebrate
the $20 savings on fill ups and give a touch more go to the right pedal. So if I change compression I restrict my octane towards about $5/gal at home...for what amounts to a small jump in performance...net gain...not a lot.
Don't do the club racing anymore so spending more on engine just to catch the guy in the yellow car went away with my brown hair.
best, Steve
Old 06-21-2014, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I did a webcam 494 with dual valve springs, chromoly retainers, stainless steel swirl polished valves, euro pistons, and 8 mm exhaust valve stems. At approx 3400 rpm it revs pretty quickly to the rev limiter around 6k. Strong midrange.... If I did it again I would do stock valves, heavy duty single springs, keep the aluminum pushrods, and do light weight rods with stock euro pistons. I think that would rock..... Also do a clutch, the stock one doesn't hold very well with this setup!
Old 06-21-2014, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

bh, thanks you have hydraulic / re: alu push rods / lifters? Also will up on the clutch ...thanks...
The Web 494, do you remember the profile ?
Thanks again, Steve
Old 06-21-2014, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Info on the 494 (and other common Web-Cam grinds) can be found on their website:

Web Cam Inc. - Performance and Racing Camshafts

For the 494, they say:
Quote:
Lift I/E: .465/.465 Duration I/E: 280/280 Duration@.050" I/E: 244/244

Designed for increased torque with added RPM performance. WEB CAM mechanical lifters required. See part #00-265.
--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 06-21-2014, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Dave, I have come to discover you are amazing.
I was reading the $900 /914 re metal thread and again you were spot on the items to 'watch' for while wading in rust.
I am after the best launch, from the stop sign thru 3rd gear; after that I just want cruise mpg at the Shell station. bh912e wrote a much nicer check than I can and for a (I think) different requirement behind the wheel. I am inclined to lean towards John Rogers "quick torque and flat curve" ...but I'm still on the steep curve learning.
Thank you, Steve
Old 06-21-2014, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

BH912E,.... What are the Torque numbers with that setup,..?? Thanks Frank
Old 06-30-2014, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: