Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
550 gas filler

I was looking at a classic photo of James Dean at a gas station with "Little Bastard" and was thinking that I've never seen anyone cut a hole in their 914 front trunk sheet metal for a 550-type filler setup.
I'm not generally a fan of people chopping up their 914's, but anyone have a photo of this? Might look cool
Old 09-25-2002, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I did that to my race car after seeing another 914 in san Diego have the "hole in the hood". It is really handy to not have to open the hood to gas the car especially if putting gas in from those 5 gal containers! You can see it somewhat at a link on the PP site here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/914_rogers_racing/DSC00002.JPG
Old 09-25-2002, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I had remembered some pictures of Scott Schroder's Martini replica and seem to recall him having a "hole in the hood". Ah yes here it is: First pic of the Martini 914 and More Martini Pics
What an awesome looking car!!

74 914 1.8
Old 09-25-2002, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

If you decide to put the hole in, a couple of things to consider: use the bayonet style filler cap and run a drain from the splash area through the bottom of the trunk to handle water such as rain, etc. The trim piece on mine was made by Charlie wallace from a piece of soft aluminum and the edges rolled to give it a "factory" look. Here's a better shot of mine. Good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frontshot.jpg (47.5 KB, 489 views)
Old 09-25-2002, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Wow.. I cheated and went to a motorcycle wrecking yard and bought a Kawasaki Ninja gas tank that was dented and removed its flip top self contained filler. Worked great and it locked. It has its own billet ring with nice allen set screws.. this car is long gone.

B
Old 09-25-2002, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I can't tell from the pics if the holes in the cars have caps, but something like this would look cool

Or something like it with a large enough opening that you could still use the original fuel cap at the pump. Another idea would be to get a flush mount and have somekind of hose extension that somehow eliminates the filler cap, but keeps the expansion tank...

just a thought

scott
Old 09-26-2002, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Does anyone know where to get these types of through-the hood fillers? Websites, linkks, vendor names are helpful.

Do they typically connect straight through into the tank with some sort of seal, or is it more of an access type hatch?

What about water that collects in the hatch? Is there a drain? Or are they water-tight?

Thanks,
Old 10-23-2002, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

right in your own back yard

Quote:
Originally posted by kellzey
Does anyone know where to get these types of through-the hood fillers? Websites, linkks, vendor names are helpful.
http://www.batinc.net/

follow the link for Aero Fuel Filler Caps

Jon
Old 10-23-2002, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

The original GT's employed through-the-hood fueling. You might want to check out Stazak's 914-GT pages at:

http://stazak.com/914/gt/tank/tank.html
Old 10-23-2002, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I have seen a few race cars with a hole in the front hood. And they are usually no practical for a street car.
I was buying some wheels from a guy at a Custom car wheel shop. This is the Detroit iron type of stuff. He had a flush mounting filler assy that you cut and weld into the hood or fender or?? They have a flap that has a magnetic catch, you push down and the flap opens up. It has tube that goes down into the fuel filler of the tank. It also has a gas cap that you can fill without removing it has a anti back flow valve built into it.
I think that the cowl area between the bottom of the windscreen and the back edge of the front trunk lid would be the area to mount some type of outside gas flap, especially the kind that is on some of the newer ricers,Mitsubishi, etc. This way you don't hae to worry about water getting in, you install a sealing ring, there is no trunk lid to open and close and worry about everything aligning. If you look closley at the Porsche 914-8s you will see that they have the fulel filler in the cowl area.
Just a thought.
Craig C. Laughlin CAMP914
Old 10-23-2002, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Look closer, Camp Counsellor Craig . The silver one, at least, had an extra flap in the front lid.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/MotorCity/DaveDarling/Europe/Pcar%20Museum/P1010239.jpg

Hmm, I don't recall offhand what the orange one had...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-23-2002, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I stand corrected. It is the red car that has the gas filler on the cowl.
The silver car has the gas flap that looks exactly like the one available at the Detroit iron custom car shop, also availble in round.
Thank you sir.
Craig C. Laughlin
Old 10-23-2002, 09:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: