Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Would You Buy a Color Changed Car?

Would you guys buy a color changed car is it was mechanically and cosmetically in excellent condition?

Volvo V60 - Daily Driver (I love it!)
997 Turbo - FVD Exhaust, GIAC Tune - 542 dyno hp on 93 oct
1972 Chevy K-10 Pick-Up Truck Hugger Orange
Old 07-01-2014, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

color change

If the job was done properly, I would have no problem with a color change.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yes,...
Old 07-01-2014, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Banned from Boulder

Garage
It wouldn't be my first preference.

My (now long gone) 71 914 was tangerine that some knucklehead must have spent a lot of money changing to ruby red metallic. It was well done for the most part. Then some dimwit took it to maaco and had them hit it with the cheapest black they had. That is not an acceptable color change.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Yes, but I likely wouldn't pay as much for it. Even if it was done well (jambs and trunks and such also painted) you can still get the original color showing through any chips. Unless it was a bare-metal job--then it would depend on how much I liked the new color versus the old one.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 07-02-2014, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
drbill hit the nail on the head. If the color change was done correctly, (few are in my opinion) I would not hesitate. To be done right the car needs to be stripped and that includes the trunks, door jambs, etc. Do it right or don't do it.
1971 914-6 #0372
2016 Audi S3 DD
2010 997.2 C4S 6 Speed
Old 07-02-2014, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks guys. I want this car, and plan to keep it for a couple years at least, but he wants ALL the money...even for a color change car. The color change makes me hesitant. Its a 73 and was originally white, now Nepal Orange (a 75-76 color). Orange is my favorite color in these cars, but not even the correct Signal or Phoenix for a 73.

Here are a few pics of the color change. It appears to be done right. There are $9700 in receipts for mechanical refresh, and that doesn't include a motor rebuild (SS brake lines, shifter rebuild, peddle cluster, oil lines, clutch, etc).

This is an out-of-state purchase, so I have other costs e.g. flights, local PPI, 22 hour drive home.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Nice! Except the carbs IMHO
Old 07-02-2014, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesiv View Post
Nice! Except the carbs IMHO
I know. I would start searching for the stock fuel injection upon purchase.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Is a color change OK? I think so.

I agree with the group and I don't think a well done color change is necessarily a value depreciation for a 914 in today's market.

Bright colors on these roadsters have been very popular from day one and are even more popular today. Orange is a great 914 color.

I have a color change car and over the years I've driven it and shown it. It's done well against all competition and I don't regret the change.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Great looking cars! Both.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I did - car was originally Zambezi green, repainted Guards red. It was taken down to primer during a complete restoration (windows and engine out, so underside, trunks, engine bay, etc., all re-sprayed.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The "in-progress" photos are showing yellow on the interior of the car. Are you sure it was originally white?

It does look like a quality change, though.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 07-02-2014, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave at Pelican Parts View Post
The "in-progress" photos are showing yellow on the interior of the car. Are you sure it was originally white?

--DD
The seller said the original color was "white", so I assumed that yellow-greenish color was some kind of zinc chromate primer...But I think you're right. I think this car went from yellow to white to orange.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
How stock is the rest of the car? There are the carbs, but how about seats, interior, wheels etc. if it isn't mostly stock, and numbers matching, then don't worry about it, it isn't going to be a collector unless 914s ever reach early 911 desirability. So buy it for what it is, and how well it is done.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave at Pelican Parts View Post

--DD
I got the color tag number. It was originally "Delphi Green Metallic". No wonder they painted it

Old 07-02-2014, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Banned from Boulder

Garage
Now that's a 70s color
Old 07-02-2014, 10:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
gearhead

I'd buy. I had this question when I got my 912. My car was originally Polo Red and is now Ossi Blue. It is well done and will be nice for at least a decade. If I ever repaint it I will go back to original. But for now it is a really good looking car. I feel the same way about this 914 you are considering.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig T View Post
Would you guys buy a color changed car is it was mechanically and cosmetically in excellent condition?
This car has obviously been rebuilt so I would start with that. Was the rebuild done to a very high standard and is it built the way that I want? If the answer to this question is yes then I would consider the purchase price vs. the cost to build vs. the current market value. If all of the numbers are significantly in my favor then I would proceed with the acquisition, if I really like the current color.
Sold 2011 997.2 C2S, 1988 944, 2016 GT4, 2013 981, 1980 911 SC 3.2, 77 911S Targa, 1970 914GT 3.2, 1973 914, 71 914, 76 912E, 89 944 S2, 1980 924 Turbo, 98 987, 70 911T, 72 914, 75 914, 73 914, 87 944, 74 911, 72 914
Old 07-03-2014, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

color change is not first preference for me, however for the right car and money, it will work for me. Orange is my favorite 914 color, have had two originally orange of them, each repainted either red or white by prior owners!!!

Having the correct color code is important for later collision repairs, makes matching so much easier, specially for do it your selfer's.

Be sure to obtain color code from the seller if he / she has it available!!!!!!

If painted correctly a color change car is no more likely to chip and show a different color than a poor repaint over different color primer or bare metal. If painted poorly a color change car can be ugly fast. My Dad had a color change on a silver civic, to dark red, dirt cheap paint job at a national chain repainter. The price was less than what I could buy the paint for, no sanding was done near as I can tell, lasted just less than the one year warrentee, lucky for him, they repainted it, and sanded it this time. He later sold the car, but it was holding up better than the first time. But that car sure was ugly before they redid it, the original color change paint job started to fail after maybe 9 months , that red car had palm sized blotches of silver all over, red paint peeling off in sheets!
However had that car been repainted original silver rather than red, and had it been just as poorly painted, you still would have a failing paint job, maybe from 30 feet it would look ok, but up close, ugly!!!!

hey, if this is not your favorite color, or your not happy with a color change, then search out for a different car. if you plan to keep it long term, and will invest in it, and enjoy it, then for all means, pic the best car you can afford, and by best not only by condition, rust, modifications etc... but also the color of your choice, cant find the color? then buy a next best car IN NEED of a repaint (with purchase price reflecting the need for a repaint) and then get it done in your favorite color, if a repaint is acceptable to you.

I would passed up on a car cause of color I don't want, unless of course the price outweighs my desire for a certain color. I am a cheap ass.

I like bright colored cars, bright red, orange, lime green, yellow,. This here being specially important if you drive the small cars like 914's. More visible, more safer. Earth tones, black, even silver, dark colors all are less visible than bright colors. Even white is hard to see, if in snow.

Last edited by TheCabinetmaker; 07-03-2014 at 11:10 AM..
Old 07-03-2014, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: