Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

H4 headlight relay question

Putting in new H4 headlights with the 100W high beam and utilizing the "relay" to protect the OEM wiring.
Using the relay and new lights from Pelican and have checked and rechecked my wiring several times. Fused power from battery to #30. #85 to ground. #87 to high beam terminal of each light, #86 to old headlight wiring on one side, and taped off the other as recommended.

I have 12V into relay when high beams are on, and good 12V from battery, but neither high beam works thru the system, though low beams work. Fuses all good- new JWest fuse panel. Bulbs new and work fine when bench tested.

Any ideas????
1997 993 C2
2016 981 Spyder PTS
Old 07-03-2014, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

bad head light ground???? Didn't see on your post that you have checked that yet, give that a shot.

Are you sure the relay is wired correctly? if so, try shorting the wire from your battery to the wire that goes to the head light, if it works then, you got a relay or relay signal problem, and you will know the fuses, bulbs, motors, grounds etc.. are good.

usually terminal 30 is supplied by the positive fused battery, terminal 87 is contact which will go to the light bulb(s), terminals 85 and 86 go to the relay signal wires, (ie the headlamp switch (85) and ground (86))

I don't know what you mean by the "other" being "taped off" what recommendation are you referring too??????? Other is what???

I have heard of folks putting in an aftermarket fuse panel I assume that is this J-West thing you mention, maybe that is not installed right, miss-wired?
Old 07-03-2014, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
See my post on the World BBS for troubleshooting.

In short, verify that the pins of the relay are connected to what you think they are. And that they have power and ground when you think they should. And then check that the lights do light up when you simulate a "closed" relay by jumpering pin 30 to pin 87.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 07-03-2014, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

How many relays do you have per lamp? Usually relays like this are ran one relay for highs and one relays for lows. This site has some really great information that has been used around the automotive forums for quite some time, with diagrams to boot!

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

good luck.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

hi friends welcome in forum sites this is very good site because you can found the solution of your problem
Old 07-04-2014, 03:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: