Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

Poll: Would you go for a $1500 paint job?
Poll Options
Would you go for a $1500 paint job?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to jackmech
$1500 Paint Job?

In the spirit of two recent threads (painting cars and business opportunities), I'm wondering how many people would be interested in a $1500 paint job for their 914? I was talking with a friend today and thinking that if I had a painting setup, instead of spending my free time working for $8/hour I could do paint/body work and pay myself $20. Which is still a deal compared to body shops. So I figure if I did 40 hours of body work @ $20, that's $800, plus $700 in supplies and I'm happy because I'm learning skills and you're happy cause you have a good and cheap paint job. I would, of course, have to paint my own car to have something to show my prospective customers. My friends main comment was, "Who would pay $1500 for a paint job from some guy instead of a shop?" I figured a decent paint job at a decent shop including body work, would be at least $3000. What do you think about this? Thanks.
Old 09-25-2002, 09:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

well the price is obviously good for many people, but this might scare some...

"and I'm happy because I'm learning skills"
Old 09-25-2002, 09:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jackmech
I suppose that's the down fall of my career as a salesman. I'm too straightforward. My point is not that I'm clueless, it's that I'm no expert. If I was an expert I would work in a paint shop. I get, and agree with, your point though.
Old 09-25-2002, 10:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I think having a demo car would be great, so people know what they are getting. for the people wanting something better than maaco, but also not a $3k+ pro job, it works out well.
Old 09-25-2002, 11:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Paint jobs are one place you REALLY get what you pay for. It takes a lot of hours to prep a car properly. And it takes a lot to finish it properly after the paint.
But most of all, It takes a painter years, really, years to learn to paint well. After having over twenty cars painted, I have learned that there is no short cut.
A painter with less than five years experience is going to make mistakes. He may know how to cover them up some, but he will make mistakes. And those mistakes might take a year or two to show up.
I watched a guy with twenty years experience paint my MB 500SL years ago. The incredible eye and patience a man of that experience had was incredible. It cost $4500. And it was worth it!
For $1500, I would not expect a flawless job, but I doubt that you could get enough experience within two years or so to comfortably charge that much.
Old 09-26-2002, 01:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I am one of the guys that started a paint thread. If you think you can prep a car in 40 hours than either you are good or you are taking short cuts. So much depends on the condition of the car before you start, rust/no-rust, dents, previous body repair attempts. I have not set down and figured out how many hours I have into my paint job, but I know I had 10-15 hours into one door. I know that a professional would have done it much faster, but even they would probably spend more than 40 hours on prep. The actual spraying of the paint takes very little time. Then you get to color sand and rub. Which if done right can take a good chunk of time. If I come across as being critical, I'm sorry. I guess what I'm saying is before you make that kind of commitment you should take a look at the target vehicle then give an estimate. I've got at least 40 hours into the slope nose conversion I did. If you can do it for that, more power to you. I have people ask me to paint there cars all the time, I won't do it. When my hobby becomes a job, then it's no fun.

Randy
Old 09-26-2002, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I taught myself to paint and did an over all job on my 914 about 3 years ago...
granted a professional could have done it in a lot less time... but:
I mildly stripped the car... only bumpers, wheels, and trip really... not glass
very little body work... only the lips of the rear fenders and then I also used bondo as much as my limited metal skills... (quickie)...
sanded the car for prep... (big time eater here)...
I probably put 200 hours into the job... and after shooting the car, put another 40 into the color sanding and buffing (at least)...
like I said a pro would have used a fraction of the time...
but I couldn't have paid myself very well and still done this job.
I'm happy with it, and I feel like I learned alot... I've been fearless to do other small paint work now... and heck this is only a race car... but if you just want experience or to learn a skill.. It would be alot less painless to go to work at MAACO and talk or work your way up behind a paint gun in that manner...

brant
Old 09-26-2002, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

You'll probably be able to sign up other Porsche enthusiasts who would pay for a decent $1500 paint job even if they had to help with the prep by stripping the car before they brought it to you. I'm sure many would even like to help at many steps along the way (sanding, preping, buffing, etc) if it would cut their total cost.
Old 09-26-2002, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: