Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Lotus Europa - OT

Some of you may remember the pics I posted a while back of a funny looking mid engined car from the psychedelic era. Well, I've commenced the resto and thought you might find this interesting. Two of us (not the guy in the pic) lifted the body off the chassis and plunked it in the driveway. It must weigh around 200lbs max, probably quite a bit less. The car will weigh less than 1500lbs and kick out 105-130hp. It looks small enough to fit inside a 914, and is much lower.
The car is a Lotus type 54, or Europa Series 2. This one has been converted from its original renault engine to the more powerful and sexy looking Lotus twin cam.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rms_lotus1.jpg (39.5 KB, 9117 views)
pics at
http://www.syer.net
Old 09-26-2002, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Wow, you are a glutton for punishment! Nice car though. I once wanted one of the black and gold John Player Special "big valve" models in the worst way but finally figured I had enough grief for one lifetime. But post restoration pictures every now and then, OK? And good luck.
Old 09-26-2002, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Just curious, what would one be worth? There's a black one near me that has had the interior taken apart, it's all piled inside.....
Old 09-26-2002, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Scary,

somebody else has touched a Europa. I installed a Renault Fuego turbo engine in a Europa back in 1995. Talk about a rocket ship..yee haw.

Good luck.

B
Old 09-26-2002, 11:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Dave,

I like your Europa. I've always wanted an Elan or Europa and now I have added the Elise to the list. I'm curious about the condition of your backbone chassis. Isn't this the Lotus weak point (okay, besides the electrical system! LOL) as it is prone to rust. Are replacement chassis available as they are for Elans?

Good luck with your new toy!

Mike
Old 09-27-2002, 04:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the kind words. I will post pics as the project carries on. If I have a chance I'll post a 914/europa parts comparison pics - you guys will get a kick out of it I'm sure. While the Lotus is very flimsy (kit car-ish), I've realized that Porsche would never use a bolt where a mechanism will do! They are very true to earlier lotus sports racers, and it is kind of amazing that they were made at all, which is part of their appeal. The 914 is quite conventional and very practical by comparison. The 911T is a minivan. (INCOMING!!!!!!!!!) ;-)
GWN: A project Europa is worth what the guy will take for it. They are very rare but a hard sell. Like teeners you have to be careful about resto costs vs value, though not as careful as with a teener or a 924 or 944 because Europa parts are much more affordable. Europa parts were appropriated from more common, less expensive cars, the opposite is true in most cases for the 914. For example, front brake calipers are he same as those on a spit and rebuilds cost $62CDN at crappy tire ex $20 core charge. Windshields are an exception at $800CDN.
Good cars are worth a about the same as 2.0 litre 914s, and Larry's really nice JPS Europa specials are up there with 914/6s.
You should be able to pick up that car- if it is a resto project - for $2kCdn or less. The nice thing is that the bodywork is much less depressing, and as you can see, structural issues are far less mysterious and difficult to fix.
If you want, find out which model it is and I can give you some purchasing tips, though I am not a guru by any stretch. Better do it offline unless others on the PP BBS are interested. Don't want to get spanked!
Yes MAF, ya gotta watch out for serious chassis rust and accident damage. That front box is the problem zone for both and can be bent which conventional wisdom says junks the chassis. Any front end damage and the car is suspect. Partial tube frame chassis are available from the UK at $3-4kCDN. Prone to rust? Rust is not an issue compared to the rust on a teener. Minor rust is much less daunting than that on a 914, as you can imagine from the pic.
Brad - wouldn't an S2 with a Fuego Turbo powertrain have about the power to weight ratio of a 914 with a 911 RSR motor? For around what, $12-15KUS. Yowza!

PS $.64US =$1 Cdn.
pics at

Last edited by DDS; 09-28-2002 at 03:23 AM..
Old 09-27-2002, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Lotus

Very cool cars those Lotus Europas, I have done a do a fair amount of service on those, lots of stories.They handle like a formula ford with a body around it, but need very small feet to drive it. Dave Bean in central California is a great parts source for them if you didn't already know. Good luck
Old 10-02-2002, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Lotus Europa is so on topic for a 914 Board (not many mid-engined affordable 60s/70s cars out there!).

To find out where they can end up, try www.banks-europa.co.uk .

I would love to drive one of their fully worked ones...

Cam
Old 10-02-2002, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Mid engined, affordable, funny looking and prone to spontaneous combustion!
Those Banks cars are indeed amazing. In fact, after years of complete disinterest, they and other hot Europa variants are what really got me into this car thing. It'll be fun to eventually compare the teener and the Europa.
pics at
Old 10-02-2002, 08:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

If you think the body is light wait till you get the chassis stripped. I can pick up the backbone with two fingers! I would carry one in and out of the shop all the time when I was restoring it. IIRC the oval hole behind the shifter is right at the CG - perfect for lifting!
Old 10-03-2002, 04:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Uh oh..........I've always had latent Lotus urges. I can feel them pressing on me. An Elan (old one) or an Europa.......I'm fighting them....even while looking

Anybody wanna buy a 914?
Old 10-03-2002, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

JP,

Take a look at this, and then lay down until the urge goes away.

http://www.theriens.com/lotus/
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
2009 MB C300
Old 01-28-2003, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

My Lotus Europa restoration is in full swing now.
Anyone who may be interested in this project can check out my amateurish website at www3.sympatico.ca/dave.syer I plan to extensively document the 914 restoration there too. I have lots of pics of every phase of both.
pics at

Last edited by DDS; 10-10-2003 at 06:45 PM..
Old 10-10-2003, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Puny Bird

Hi Dave, they were talking a bit about Lotus's over on the club914 site if you want to check it out!

http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=5470&st=0

Mark
Not putting miles on your car is like not having sex with your girlfriend, so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: