Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Helmet recommendations?

I have to buy one. periodic track days at mosport, hopefully some autocross and PCA DE next year.
Any suggestions? Any reason not to buy yer basic full face, Snell 2000 motorcycle helmet?
pics at
http://www.syer.net
Old 09-26-2002, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Paul_Heery Send a message via Yahoo to Paul_Heery
Re: Helmet recommendations?

Quote:
Originally posted by DDS
Any reason not to buy yer basic full face, Snell 2000 motorcycle helmet?
Most PCA regions will not allow you to use a "M" rated (motorcycle) helmet for track events. You need to get a "SA" rated (special application) helmet.
Old 09-26-2002, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

Definitely get an SA2000.

I am personally fond of my face and strongly favor full-face helmets. (I used to ride bicycles and motorcycles heavily in my young & stupid days, and at least once my helmet saved me from losing my good looks and probably having to deal with facial/dental surgery...that kinda sold me on the helmet thing in about half a second)

Depending on climate you may want to consider one with a forced-air ventilation input. Even if you don't have/need a cooling rig yet, having the duct hookup available for future use is a plus.

I am going to have to replace my current bucket in 1/03 and am leaning towards either the Bell or Simpson ventilated kevlar models. I forget the models but all the major dealers carry these. We routinely see track temps of 90-115F (maybe more) out here so lightweight & cool are big factors.
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle

Last edited by campbellcj; 09-26-2002 at 04:35 PM..
Old 09-26-2002, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I'd go for something like the Bell SR-Pro
Not too expensive either...

Cheers,

Jeroen
Old 09-26-2002, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I use a Bell SA-2000 full face and a donut around my neck. I used to use an open face helmet until I saw all the blood in the VW that wrecked at the HSR West race at Willow Springs this year. Came from the face of the driver going into the steering wheel. The SA rating will let you do racing beside auto-x and is fire proof. Good luck.
Old 09-26-2002, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

What's that tired saying? "If you have a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet." I was told the difference between an "M" and an "SA" among other things is how many impacts they'll take, the SA being stronger.

I picked up a Bell M2 from www.helmetcity.com at the beginning of the season and am very happy with it. For a non-kevlar helmet, it is very light; no neck fatigue, and I'm not wearing a donut (yet). Check out Bell's website, it has some good tips on finding your correct size.

One thing to be aware of, though, the Bell is a little taller in the crown than some others. Good news is, more protection, bad news is, less "broomstick rule" clearance.
Old 09-26-2002, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

FWIW I started using a 'donut' for the last few events prior to my year-long hiatus, and I really like the added support. My wife has been battling neck problems for a couple of years and I figure anything I can do to help avoid that nightmare myself is worthwhile. It does get a little itchy & hot though.
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle
Old 09-26-2002, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Not all PCA regions require an SA helmet for DE. Very few that I know of require them for autoX. Check your local rules.

The only real difference between M and SA rated helmets is that the SA ones have a fire-retardant lining. If the lining in your helmet is in danger of catching fire, you have much more serious problems to worry about...

There is one other different test that the SA helmets have to pass that the M ones do not. It is a drop onto a round pipe--a simulated roll bar impact. As one engineer friend of mine said, "I would have to work very hard to make a helmet that could meet all the M impact tests (onto a ledge, onto a point, etc.) that would still fail the pipe test."

I myself have an M-rated open-face helmet. When I get back onto the track, I will most likely invest in an SA-rated full-face helmet.

...If you're confused about these ratings, the Snell Foundation has a testing system for helmets. They rate them for "M" (motorcycle use) or "SA" (special applications, or car racing) use. There is a year after the M or SA designation, and the newer tests are at least slightly more stringent than the old ones. Or the helmet materials degrade over time--or both.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-26-2002, 10:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I like the G-force helmets. Mine's an SA-2000 open face, but they also sell the full face version. Price was around $150 + shipping for mine, the full face helmets are closer to $240. They are nomex, kevlar, etc.
Very similar ot the bells, but for less $$$$.

I got mine at racer's wholesale http://www.racerwholesale.com/
Old 09-27-2002, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Thanks for all the input - I'm glad I hesitated and didn't just grab the M-helmet before consulting with those who know. I'll be looking for a SA200 full face helmet. Thanks again.
pics at
http://www.syer.net
Old 09-27-2002, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

A couple of more things to consider when buying a helmet: do you wear glasses, if so the Bell M2 with it's large opening is a good full face helmet. Do you want to use a flip-up visor, if ss then getting one to work with a SA rated open face helmet is a pain. Also, not all helmets are sized alike, as I tried on 4 different brands, all rated the same size and they all fit differently. I finally got an inflatable ball about the size of my head and I keep it inside the helmet with some air in it so the helmet will not be so tight when I wear it. Last of all a full face helmet gives you lots of room for a paint job....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg helmet.jpg (22.9 KB, 124 views)
Old 09-27-2002, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: