Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
1.7 Intake Runner Hose Installation

I got my new intake runner boots for my 1.7L (thanks, Cap'n). Any tricks to installing these? Do I need to completely disconnect the intake runners to do this? I'm going by the principle: that which looks straightforward is almost always a PITA and that which looks very difficult is only sometimes a royal PITA. This looksk straightforward, so I'm sure it'll drive me crazy.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
King Broinyo

You need to remove the injectors, then unbolt the intake runners from the head. Pull the runners both off the plenum and the head. It may take some effort.

Put the new boots on the plenum, then slide the runners into the boots and onto the heads at the same time. A light coat of silicone helps a bit. I like to hose clamp the boots as well.

Replace ALL your vacuum lines at the same time, make sure the valves are adjusted correctly and check ignition timing. Should be 27 deg. BTDC.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Ok, thanks for the info, sir. I was sort of afraid I had to disconnect the entire runner. I did replace all other vacuum lines last winter when I was bringing this thing back to life. Anything else I should do "while I'm in there?" E.g., clean or callibrate the TPS, replace throttle body gasket, etc.? I have no real evidence that these are causing me issues, but if it's good maintenance and easier with everything else removed I'm all in.

Thanks again.

rc
Old 07-21-2014, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
King Broinyo

I think the throttle body gasket on the 1.7 is NLA. You can get by using some Curil on the old gasket.

Yes, calibrate the TPS. Check for old and frayed FI harness connectors.

Clean the ground post connector near the plenum. Clean the spade connectors with sandpaper
Old 07-21-2014, 11:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Roger that. Need to schedule a few hours of teener downtime for these fixes. Last question (I hope): what ARE people doing for the Throttle Body gasket if they are NLA? The Google shows me references on 914 World to old EBay listings, but nothing current. AirHead has something closely matching the part number. Are people fashioning these on their own? Or am I going to have to ask the Cap'n to rummage through his stash of horded parts again?

As always, thanks for the help!
Old 07-22-2014, 04:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
914Rubber has the TB gasket for the 1.7 as well as the 2.0. I have one on my 1.7 which worked out well.

Keith
Old 07-22-2014, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Sweet, thanks! I should have known 914 Rubber would have that. It's on order...
Old 07-22-2014, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I thought the runner rubber hoses were left unclamped to allow for heat expansion?...just asking as I read this sometime ago.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
They were--then again, all of the (non-fuel) hoses were unclamped.

Since the 1.7 manifold boots are hard to find any more, it's becoming more common to clamp them after a while to convince them to keep holding on...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 07-24-2014, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: