Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Isolating Oil Leak

I've been getting some oil dripping on the passenger side heat exchanger for some time now. While it doesn't bother me when I'm driving, once I have the car idling in my driveway it does create a noticeable smoky aroma that not everyone in my family or in the neighborhood finds attractive. In trying to isolate the possible cause, it LOOKS like it's dripping on the heat exchanger near the warm air guide and in back of the oil filter, but I can never actually see the drip. I guess when I drive it blows it all the way back past the drive axles on the heat exchanger. I'm pretty sure it's not coming from the valve covers. Any other likely culprits? Oil cooler seals? The CV joints themselves (although I think it's starting up further). Here's a picture below (FWIW):

Old 07-20-2014, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Chances are good its the oil pressure sender or the oil cooler seals.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 07-20-2014, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Roger that, thanks. It should be pretty easy to see if the oil pressure sender is leaking, right? If not that, I guess I can try to replace the oil cooler seals with engine in car. It sounds like a lot of "fun."
Old 07-20-2014, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
King Broinyo

Check the pushrod tube seals first. They usually leak. Fix is Viton seals with a very light coat of Curil T in the bores.

Its easier to drop the engine than try to replace the oil cooler seals in the car. Using a motorcycle lift from Harbor Freight makes it way easy. It takes me roughly an hour to pull the engine/tranny. pull them both as a unit.

Spend a day, get some friends to help and some beer. Pull the tins and valve covers and seal everything up in one shot.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
King Broinyo

And see that pulley in the above photo? Clean and lubricate it.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Jawohl, good point. I will clean and lube the clutch pulley. Don't want any more shifting issues than I already have or have had.

Ok, so I was planning on pulling the engine at some point to do this. I just pulled a 1.8L a couple of weeks ago, and it wasn't too bad. I have NOT yet put one back in. That will be a new experience.

Thanks again.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

King Broinyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatnavy View Post
Jawohl, good point. I will clean and lube the clutch pulley. Don't want any more shifting issues than I already have or have had.

Ok, so I was planning on pulling the engine at some point to do this. I just pulled a 1.8L a couple of weeks ago, and it wasn't too bad. I have NOT yet put one back in. That will be a new experience.

Thanks again.
Physically remove the pulley and put some grease on the shaft too. Re-adjust your clutch cable at the same time. If you still have the plastic clevis piece, ditch it for a metal one.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Was going to write "check oil filter seal" but guess you have done that already.

Lars S
Old 07-22-2014, 05:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
All the trouble areas have been listed already,(pushrod tube seals leaks are very common) ,one thing I have done in the past is clean away all traces of oil under the engine with brake cleaner/engine degreaser.
Place a large white sheet of signage material or cardboard under the engine ,start it and bring up to running temp and you will normally find the location of the leak by looking upwards....has usually worked for me,cheers.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage

Could it be a leak coming from the transmission shift linkage? This is a picture just one of my leaks that I need to address. I don't have the heat exchangers but it looks like it would be directly above them.

I'm new with the 914, so I'm just trying a helpful guess.
1976 Datsun 280Z BRE Tribute race car
Old 08-12-2014, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Yes, it could be. There is a seal around the shaft where it goes through that console into the body of the transmission, and it can leak. There is also an O-ring around the console where it fits into the body of the trans, and that is a (much) less common source of leaks.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-12-2014, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

IME, transmission oil from the shift console doesn't leak onto the right HE all that much.

The Cap'n
Old 08-12-2014, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Agreed. Also, I have a tail shifter (much to my chagrin but hopefully changing at some point). I think I've seen seepage at a pushrod tube. Question: are those easier to change with the engine in or out of the car? I did my Karmann Ghia's with the engine out of the car, but once you have it out, getting underneath it can actually be tricky. I do intend to take the engine out at some point to do a few things, including the oil cooler seals, but that may not happen for a bit.

TIA
Old 08-12-2014, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatnavy View Post
Agreed. Also, I have a tail shifter (much to my chagrin but hopefully changing at some point). I think I've seen seepage at a pushrod tube. Question: are those easier to change with the engine in or out of the car? I did my Karmann Ghia's with the engine out of the car, but once you have it out, getting underneath it can actually be tricky. I do intend to take the engine out at some point to do a few things, including the oil cooler seals, but that may not happen for a bit.

TIA
A pushrod tube seal leak may actually be easier to repair in the car, unless you have your engine on an engine stand. You really need under-the-engine access, which would be difficult with the engine on a cart, the floor, or blocks.

The Cap'n
Old 08-12-2014, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks, Cap'n. I thought that might be the case!
Old 08-12-2014, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
To replace the pushrod tube seals, you just pull the tubes halfway out of the head. That gives you access to both ends, so you can replace the seals easily there. And unlike a Bug (or 911) engine where the tubes are sandwiched between the head and case, the 914 engine's pushrod tubes slide through the head into the case.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-12-2014, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: