Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914-914-6-technical-forum/)
-   -   First gear brake bands (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914-914-6-technical-forum/821789-first-gear-brake-bands.html)

mluebke 07-21-2014 06:13 PM

First gear brake bands

I have a 73 914 2.0 that only has 35K on it. I recently went in to the Tran to fix the first gear dog teeth and sync ring, but found two brake bands instead of one. Has anyone else seen this?:confused:

Dave at Pelican Parts 07-21-2014 07:16 PM

That probably means that the tarns has been rebuilt. The 1st-gear-specific parts are somewhat more expensive than the brake bands/stop blocks/etc. for 2-5, so it is not uncommon to use the latter when the former are worn out. It is especially common when someone re-used bits from one gearbox to rebuild another.

35K miles is pretty early to have a rebuilt trans. How confident are you in the mileage reported?

--DD

The cap'n 07-21-2014 08:18 PM

IIRC, that's what happens when 2nd-5th gear dog teeth are used in place of 1st gear dogteeth. It works, but not as well as the correct setup.

The Cap'n

mluebke 07-22-2014 04:48 AM

Thanks for the quick response. I bought it from the original owner. They had a shade tree mechanic change fuel filter. When I checked it out, they had two lines switched on fuel pump and filter in backwards. Now I have proper pressure and the car runs great. I did the bushings on the shift linkage, man what a difference. I will try to find the correct band and stop blocks. Thanks!:)

mluebke 07-22-2014 05:28 AM

Where can I find the thrust block with the little hook on it? I have the band and the other block.

The cap'n 07-22-2014 06:10 AM

You can't use the first gear synchro internals with 2-5 dog teeth, so your FIRST step is to determine what you have. Is there one cutout in the inner ring of the hub (dog teeth component)? If so, you're good. Two slots? You have to stick with 2-5 internal components. (Going from memory, here, I haven't had a tranny apart for a while, and school was in 1973!)

You could contact Dr. Evil over on 914 World for parts and further information.

The Cap'n

mluebke 07-22-2014 07:35 AM

I just ordered new 1st gear dog teeth and syncro ring, so I assume it will have one cut out. Are there any adverse effects if using the other parts? thanks!

The cap'n 07-22-2014 08:13 AM

"Adverse effects"? You CAN'T use the other parts. One set of parts for 1st gear, another set for 2-5. They're physically and functionally different. You might want to CAREFULLY inspect the teeth on the operating sleeve (1/R slider), as well. If the dog teeth are toast, the teeth on the slider are probably wasted, too. MAJOR bucks for that puppy ....................

The Cap'n

Dave at Pelican Parts 07-22-2014 11:43 AM

You can actually swap over the bits from a 2-5 synchro assembly to the 1st gear position. You do have to use 2 brake bands and 2 stop blocks, even though one of them should see little or no actual use. It's a common trick when you use parts out of one used gearbox to rebuild another one.

--DD

The cap'n 07-22-2014 12:28 PM

Well, other than school long ago, the notes and drawings I made there, and 40 years of practical experience, I guess I don't have a leg to stand on, do I? Look at the "bits". They're different, both physically and functionally. Why would you try to use the wrong parts when the right ones are readily available? Just because it's a "common trick" doesn't make it the right thing to do, nor does it mean it'll work as well as doing it right.

The Cap'n

The Cap'n

Dave at Pelican Parts 07-22-2014 06:52 PM

You are saying that it can't be done. But it can, and it works--there are a lot of 901-based gearboxes running around out there with that setup. It doesn't make it right, but it does work. (I don't know about long-term durability, though.)

--DD

mluebke 07-23-2014 05:51 AM

OK Guys. Thanks for your response. I am trying to put it back together correct. I have ordered a first gear syncro ring, the correct brake stone, dog teeth, and swepco fluid. The teeth on the slider are good. Thanks for your input.

Emo993 07-24-2014 03:32 AM

Buy Dr Evil's CD on 901 rebuilds, great information, will answer all your questions.
Mark

TheCabinetmaker 07-31-2014 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The cap'n (Post 8176703)
Well, other than school long ago, the notes and drawings I made there, and 40 years of practical experience, I guess I don't have a leg to stand on, do I? Look at the "bits". They're different, both physically and functionally. Why would you try to use the wrong parts when the right ones are readily available? Just because it's a "common trick" doesn't make it the right thing to do, nor does it mean it'll work as well as doing it right.

The Cap'n

The Cap'n

Worked for me, did this for a friend on his 914 tranny, selecting good used parts from two trannies to make one, and that tranny is still shifting fine after 15 years.

sometimes schooling and notes don't translate to a real world fix.

why would you do this???? Saving money is one reason, probably the primary reason in the case of my friends tranny, well worth the savings.