Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Am I screwed?

Hi I just purchased a 1972 914. After 2 days of sitting in my driveway the passenger side front was lower. My research told me the shock went bad. The car had been sitting for almost 5 years so I ordered (from Pelican) a replacement the model number is 3/-057-5. All was going good I was able to get the top nut off, push and get the unit out under the fender, got the funny looking nut off and the nothing. I can't get the shock out from the housing. So, how screwed am I? Did I order the wrong part, what is holding the bottom of the cartridge in the housing? Thanks in advance!

Old 07-25-2014, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

shocking

If you got the gland nut off you can put the strut back up through the tower and temporarily put the washer and nut back on, then with a long bar through the control arm leaver the strut down that should do it. In saying that the insert should not be stuck tight. Check to make sure they are Boge.

Looks like you also need to machine the disks so take both front callipers off then the struts at the lower ball joint.

Replace both struts, check the wheel bearings, lower ball joints and front flexible brake hoses.

I would replace the shock inserts, flexible brake hoses, brake pads, front calliper brake seals. Lower ball joints and bearings if necessary. Saves a lot of hassle.

Not advisable to use a new shock insert and one which may be 35+ years old.

Last edited by TR; 07-25-2014 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: added stuff
Old 07-25-2014, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thank you. I was planning on replacing the other side before driving. I just didn't want the stress of it sitting for awhile. I'm still confused about what's holding the bottom of the cartridge in. Thanks again and enjoy the weekend!
Old 07-25-2014, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
pretty sure the torsion bars hold the car up not the shocks. Youll find out when you set it back down. the shocks probrobly needed doing anyway. usually some sort of pinch bolt holding them in but im not sure on this car
Old 07-25-2014, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Bet you'll find a rusted and broken torsion bar as well. Happened to my dad's '71 914 MANY year ago- thanks to all the salt on Iowa winter roads... He was driving it home from work and one corner just collasped as he pulled in the driveway.
1997 993 C2
2016 981 Spyder PTS
Old 07-25-2014, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Wow you guys are good! Yup still haven't finished the shock/strut cartridge but I do indeed have a broken torsion bar. Gees 42 years......go figure. OK I see there are different sizes can someone please tell how to tell, or as long as both the left and right are the same. Can't thank everyone enough!
Old 07-26-2014, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
youre welcome! I cant help you on the sizes or if left and right are the same but I will say if you buy used you must be sure they go back in the way they came out or the opposite twisting will break them. They can be real easy to replace or they can be rather difficult. take the adjusting block off and the front shield part to push them through and they should slide right out. unless ofcourse they are rusted in. good luck
Old 07-26-2014, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Certified Porsche addict

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJTom View Post
All was going good I was able to get the top nut off, push and get the unit out under the fender, got the funny looking nut off and the nothing. I can't get the shock out from the housing. So, how screwed am I? Did I order the wrong part, what is holding the bottom of the cartridge in the housing? Thanks in advance!
I can't tell from your photo but there is a large hex shaped cap on the strut tube that captures the shock in the tube. A pipe wrench will loosen and remove that. If that's off, the shock insert should just slide out. The tube itself is held onto the ball joint by a special pin but you shouldn't have to loosen that - unless your ball joints are shot. That certainly could be the case if the torsion bar is broken. Check the large ball joint under the spindle and the tie rod ends for cracked and bleeding rubber covers. Rebuilding the front suspension is not that hard but can add up $$$.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: