Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Marginally Insane

914 V8 Project ---- Fire At Will

SO, I have a 914 V8 conversion project I've been working on for some time now. Started with no kids and no bills.... now I have two kids and just got divorced ha-ha so the car has been on hold for around a year, should be knocking it out soon.

any tips, comments, advice, hate messages, somebody that wants to buy it when im done?

I literally have no reason to keep this as it wont hold me and my two sons, leaving this as a "alone time" ride. Plan is to finish the build, and then find a buyer or trade for a crewcab chevy truck (Hopefully).

I'll put up more photos when I get around to taking some..... car is mostly sanded to metal at the moment... the random paint colors are from me spraying it to keep the metal that I exposed when I flared the fenders from rusting while it sat.

Complete so far......

BRAKE SYSTEM
BMW 320i Front brake calipers
Street tech brake pads
New rubber brake lines @ calipers
New hard brake lines @ Calipers
Rear Brake Tee installed, proportioning valve delete
New 911 19mm Master Cylinder
Rebuilt, Painted Pedal Cluster
Bronze pedal Bushings
Ceramic Painted Brake Calipers

SUSPENSION & TRANSMISSION
New fuel line
New Wheel Bearings
New Shifter Bushings Front to back
Rebuilt CV's - Sanded & Painted Axles
9" Flywheel
Kennedy Engineering Stage III Clutch & Pressure Plate
Kennedy Engineering Throwout Bearing
Kennedy Engineering Pilot Bearing
IMI-101 High Torque Starter
New Tie Rod Ends
Weltmeister 180lb Rear Springs
Rebuilt / Painted Rear Shocks
Custom Wheel Adapters 4x130 to 5x114.5
19" x 8" Wheels
225/35/zr19 Tires

ENGINE
Rebuilt Chevy Small Block 350 from 1985 Corvette
Mild Lunati Cam
New Lifters
New Pushrods
New Rings
New Oil Pump
New Timing Chain & Gears
All Fel-Pro Gaskets
Cleaned & Painted Block
HEI Distributor
New Plugs & Wires
Edelbrock RPM Air Gap Intake
Holley 650cfm Carb
Flowtech Shorty Headers - Ceramic Painted
Renegade Hybrids Adapter Plate
Renegade Hybrids Water Pump
Renegade Hybrids Alternator Bracket
Renegade Hybrids Engine Mount Bar
Renegade Hybrids HD Chassis Engine Mount Plates
Renegade Hybrids Transmission Setback Blocks
Renegade Hybrids Harmonic Balancer

INTERIOR & BODY
Custom Accented Gauge Cluster
Alpine Stereo
Cleaned & painted Gas Tank
Hand Flared Fenders
Wheelwells, Undercarriage, Engine Bay, Front Trunk & Suspension components completely coated in rubberized undercoating
Truck bed coating in rear trunk

Old 07-31-2014, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Marginally Insane

Sale

Also, If anyone wants to buy this thing off me, shoot me an offer. I'll sell it as is, or you can wait until I finish it off.....
Old 07-31-2014, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
You need to post it on a 914 site. World.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 07-31-2014, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

No matter what clutch you put in there, center force, whatever. It's going to slip.
You can never use first gear. You will never be able to cool it effectively. Your
Brakes will be inadequate. Ask me how I know.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Finally, the weight penalty will out weight the performance gains you THOUGHT you might
have. Look at the number of gallons of water you need in the system. How much does a gallon
of water weigh. How much does the radiator weigh with the cooling fans. How much does
that big water pump weigh? Add up the total weight of all the components that is required
to cool the engine.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jess p View Post
No matter what clutch you put in there, center force, whatever. It's going to slip.
You can never use first gear. You will never be able to cool it effectively. Your
Good points but is reality it's about what the OP is selling,my first comment would be those wheels which have no place on a 914,sorry but thems the facts and yes the brakes will be a ''time thing'' as in "I know I need to stop so I have to get ready".
Old 08-04-2014, 12:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Marginally Insane

Quote:
Finally, the weight penalty will out weight the performance gains you THOUGHT you might
have. Look at the number of gallons of water you need in the system. How much does a gallon
of water weigh. How much does the radiator weigh with the cooling fans. How much does
that big water pump weigh? Add up the total weight of all the components that is required
to cool the engine.
Cute.......

Water weighs 8.34 lb/gl - 13 needed for system = 108.42 lbs extra
Radiator & fans.... about 15 lbs
Small block..... 550lbs
Water pump.... maybe 4 pounds... aluminum housing, it's a wonderful metal.
Total = 678 lbs

Stock motor .... 277 lbs

Diffference = 401 lbs

HP
Stock = 80 hp

Small block - 330 - 350 hp

Difference = 250 - 270 hp

yes, you lose first gear Who cares honestly? you get a tall 4th and 5th and you are good to go with a top end around 150 mph (120 stock).... switch to a newer 6 speed and you can hit 200 mph Nascar speeds.

yes, my wheels are ridiculous... that's the whole point. Why build something ridiculous and skip on added ridiculousness. I built this for people to hate it ... and then get beaten by it.

yes it will cool beautifully... my office is about 1000ft from renegade hybrids, I see them drive by everyday.... im in Vegas... it's about 115 on a standard summer day.

Yes.... a 11 - 12 second quarter mile sounds much better than a 19 second one
Yes.... 4 second zero to 60 vs 9 seconds is absolutely better.

the clutch will hold just fine... its the gears and cv's that will snap.... be gentle with your start... or give a shop a few thousand bucks to overbuild your trans and axles to take the beating..

The brakes will be fine. should keep me around stock performance with added weight.

Beef up your springs and your suspension is just like before. all you end up with when this is done is a hole in your wallet and a skinny pedal that makes you much much happier than driving an oversized go kart that can't keep up with your kid on a bicycle with a good wind behind him.

Oh, since I enjoy snide comments with no backing... please elaborate on how you know? I assume a home built hackjob by a buddy that had no clue what he was doing... it probably didn't go well....... you can't exactly redneck engineer a conversion...... takes some thought.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas914 View Post
.... switch to a newer 6 speed and you can hit 200 mph Nascar speeds.
I don't think that's enough power to push something with the 914s aerodynamics up to 200 MPH.

A small-block will give you approximately a bazillion immense heaping piles of torque, so you can pull tall gears easily. So your very tall wheels can be a good thing, by effectively making the overall gearing taller. The 901 trans is pretty marginal for really whaling on when you have that much torque, though.

Heh, in this case it may be the best idea not to upgrade the axles and CVs! They can act as a "mechanical fuse" and break before you explode the more-expensive gearbox...

I'm personally kind of torn. There's part of me that likes this car, and part of me that hates it. But all of me knows that if I ever try to race it, I'll be picking my doors up after they've been well and truly blown off....

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-04-2014, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Marginally Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave at Pelican Parts View Post
I don't think that's enough power to push something with the 914s aerodynamics up to 200 MPH.

A small-block will give you approximately a bazillion immense heaping piles of torque, so you can pull tall gears easily. So your very tall wheels can be a good thing, by effectively making the overall gearing taller. The 901 trans is pretty marginal for really whaling on when you have that much torque, though.

Heh, in this case it may be the best idea not to upgrade the axles and CVs! They can act as a "mechanical fuse" and break before you explode the more-expensive gearbox...

I'm personally kind of torn. There's part of me that likes this car, and part of me that hates it. But all of me knows that if I ever try to race it, I'll be picking my doors up after they've been well and truly blown off....

--DD
Very true.... its a bit of an experiment as well as sheer ridiculousness on the wheels. larger diameter, should get me a bit more on the top end (In theory).... I should have bottom end to spare.

But now I get into rolling mass, inertia, that whole ball of nonsense. Hope my brakes work haha. Only one way to find out...

I can't afford the trans upgrades or swap to better trans, and upgrading my axles leaves my trans as the weakest link.... so stock trans and axles until I could do better was the plan. CV's are much more cost effective to replace than the trans.

Not surprisingly...... I was a mini truck guy...... so I want to put airbags, huge wheels and large engines into everything I can.....

This thing started with a almost fulll Rust-o-ration on another 73 914, I pleaded for with my uncle for years... it sat in GA in his yard going to hell.... I brought it back, rebuilt the type 4......... patched hell hole, outer suspension console, trunk, floor, longs, the whole 9... came across a car with minimal rust (Floor board only) for $300, bought it, swapped over the best of the two into one and sold everything extra......... which brings me to today... lots of good deals on parts and things from friends.... Renegade usually has some used parts laying around from guys upgrading to LS engines.. and here we are... Ballin on a budget......... and an almost complete project that will be pointless to keep.

PS. I went with adapters because If the 19's are too outrageous I can go smaller, or put stock back on to get things corrected. (and the Toyota pattern gives me a ton of options for less than the Porsche pattern
Old 08-04-2014, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

No, you are not going to run 0-60 in 4 sec.
No, you are not going to run the quarter in 11-12 sec.
Not with that transmission, not with that small clutch.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Aside from those wheels.....the rest of the build would be fun to drive around town and surprise people with the V-8 growl.
1971 914-6 #0372
2016 Audi S3 DD
2010 997.2 C4S 6 Speed
Old 08-10-2014, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I got a 231 Buick V6 in one of my 914's, basically it is 3/4 of a small block V8.

I can do 0-60 mph in about 5 seconds, and it never has had an over heating issue, easy to cool it.

sure it weighs more, but the added torque and power more than make up for the weight gain.

yours should be a fast car when done!!!!

My Buick14 as we call it is ugly as can be, but it is so fu**ing quick, really fun to blow the doors off corvettes, 911's and them pumped up ricer cars.

My car looks like s**t and flies like s**t out of a goose suffering with diarrhea. nothing wrong with that!
Old 08-11-2014, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Speed Metal Army General

Quote:
Sigh... This is total horse*****. Been done many,many times with no issues other than you shouldnt use first gear. Regear the 901 and enjoy.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Resident Electrician

Garage
I started a Porsche 914 Outlaw group on Facebook for cars like ours...
72 914, Ford 5.0L V8 EFI
Old 08-21-2014, 08:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

What happened to this car?

Stale Post I Know

What ever happened to this car?
shaved gutters
backdated to opening vent windows
Old 01-05-2018, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
914 , big rims , conversion , renegade v8 , small block