Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Broken 914 torsion bar

Hate to be a pain, I have a broken torsion bar on my 1972 914. I was able without to much trouble to get the most of it out of the back. (20+ inches). I read on the forum you have to drill from the front and tap out the rest. Below is the picture I took of the front. I removed a big "cover" I think the dust cover(?). I'm hoping someone can confirm from the picture, the middle of round circle that looks like the back bracket is where I should drill and then tap out? As always thank you!

Old 08-03-2014, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Yes, that disk needs to come out. It is a tight press fit. Good luck.

Keith
Old 08-03-2014, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for confirming Keith! Sound like I have a big job in front of me. I was surprised I was able to bet the back off the almost all the broken bar out. Thanks again I appreciate the help!
Old 08-04-2014, 03:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
You may actually find it easier to remove the wishbone from the car, it isn't too difficult. I had a similar situation with a TB I couldn't remove. Used a substantial hammer to drive it forward which popped out the plug. Be sure to grease the splines and the TB when reinstalling. I used a sealant on the plug to prevent water intrusion. Also remember to include the seal underneath the TB adjuster when reinstalling.

Have fun,

Keith
Old 08-04-2014, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Keith, thanks. I just spen a hour trying to get the broken part out no luck. I will drill a bigger hole tomorrow and get a bigger hammer! Thanks again!
Old 08-05-2014, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Hi I received my new torsion bars. I've drilled about a half inch hole and I'm trying to punch out the broken part of the bar out. It's not moving, I just bend the smaller punch. It can only be about 2-3 inches long. Before buying a bigger 3/4 bit and using a bigger tool as a punch I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Sounds like the splines have rusted together. I'd try a generous dose of P-B Blaster or something similar. If you are patient, keep doing that for a day or so. I'm impatient so I'd treat it and then using a stout rod (punch) and smack it with about a 3# hammer. Doesn't matter which direction you are trying to force it so perhaps alternating the direction would help to break it loose.

Good luck,

Keith
Old 08-14-2014, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thank you! Time and lubricant I have. I'll just keep working at it. Thanks again!
Old 08-15-2014, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: