Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

915 shifter in my 73 2.0

After all new bushings and a lot of tweaking, I still hate the 901 shifter in my 73 914. So I decided to build one from a 915 shifter that would be spring loaded in the 2-3 plane and would also have a reverse lockout. As usual it started with "how hard can it be?" and "don't I have those parts in a box somewhere?"

Here's where it ended up.

I used two 915 top plates and added a Seine. On one of the top plates all I did was remove the lockout and open up space where the lockout from the second plate would sit on top of it.

I cut the second top plate in half and used it instead of what comes with the Seine so I would have reverse lockout. I opened up a slot for the spring loading part to slide up - only needed one slot since I only used one spring so that the effort on the 4-5 plane is less that what is required for the R-1 plane.

Of course, I still have to fit it in my car, but I think I have sorted out a way to swap the clevis attachment of the later 914s for a ball type from the earlier ones. Will post the installation when I get to it this weekend.

The car

86 944 SP1
Old 08-05-2014, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Nice looking car is it all Stk ???...How do ya add the pass. side mirror..incerts..?? Thanks FM
Old 08-06-2014, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The nuts are already present inside the door, under the skin. If are careful enough, you can drill through the door and through the hole in the nut, to the point where you can run the mounting screws in.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-06-2014, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks Dave,....Hey can stroke a 1.8 just like the 2.0's,..do 1.8 have alum.cases,..??
Old 08-06-2014, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

filmont-

Exterior is stock except the front bumper rubber things are removed. Zero rust. Repaint by the go to shop here in DFW.

Interior is restored as original with console delete option - which has combo oil/temp gauge in dash.

But beneath the look it's not stock. It has a 2.0 EFI race engine built Ed Mayo (including big oil cooler in the front trunk) and it has the Mayo AX suspension setup.

Bill
86 944 SP1
Old 08-07-2014, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmont View Post
Thanks Dave,....Hey can stroke a 1.8 just like the 2.0's,..do 1.8 have alum.cases,..??
The cases are all identical. All the same material, the same dimensions, the same pretty much everything. (Some don't have the second oil-pressure relief setup, and of course the serial numbers are different, and the early 1.7s don't have the bosses for the windage tray. But those don't really make any difference to the basic functioning of the engine.)

The only Type IV cases that had mag cases were some oddball 1.7s which were mostly used for stationary applications like pumps. Their serial numbers start with V or VO.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-08-2014, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzwhm View Post
After all new bushings and a lot of tweaking, I still hate the 901 shifter in my 73 914. So I decided to build one from a 915 shifter that would be spring loaded in the 2-3 plane and would also have a reverse lockout. As usual it started with "how hard can it be?" and "don't I have those parts in a box somewhere?"

Here's where it ended up.

I used two 915 top plates and added a Seine. On one of the top plates all I did was remove the lockout and open up space where the lockout from the second plate would sit on top of it.

I cut the second top plate in half and used it instead of what comes with the Seine so I would have reverse lockout. I opened up a slot for the spring loading part to slide up - only needed one slot since I only used one spring so that the effort on the 4-5 plane is less that what is required for the R-1 plane.

Of course, I still have to fit it in my car, but I think I have sorted out a way to swap the clevis attachment of the later 914s for a ball type from the earlier ones. Will post the installation when I get to it this weekend.

The car

Back to the shifter hows progress ?,looks like a worthwhile mod,good skills.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

porschetub -

I got distracted working on one of my other cars and haven't progressed this.

The challenge now is how to attach the 911 shifter to the 914 shift rod. The 73 has a clevis attachment instead of the 911 style ball/cup that was on the earlier 914.

I'm assuming I'll need to fabricate something - either modifying the shifter or the shift rod attachment. Not sure yet which will make more sense.

Bill
86 944 SP1
Old 08-18-2014, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

You will need to install the bottom part of the original shifter. If you switch to the ball and socket style, everything will be backwards. BTDT ................. I probably have an old shift lever you can cut up and weld into place. Price would be reasonable. PM me.

The Cap'n

The Cap'n
Old 08-18-2014, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: