Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Items found inside longitudinals

I thought it might be interesting to see what others had found inside their longitudinals when performing rust repairs. For those of you fortunate enough to never have seen inside your longs you can disregard this message.

While getting ready to spray the inside of my right long with POR-15 I discovered the body of a mouse and the remnants of its former nest.

Anyone else?

P.S. My car has been subjected to winter driving (Canadian winters) from day one and it shows. I am thoroughly surprised my car did not split in half previously.
Old 09-30-2002, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Acorn remnants; critter nesting material. Luckily, no decomposing bodies.
Old 09-30-2002, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

canadianeh, Nice to see someone else from the great white north. Did you like the snow this morning...lol. Dave
Old 09-30-2002, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

took off my rocker panels, and the jack point housing were all dirt and rust, lots of asphalt, no dead animals though
Old 09-30-2002, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

In the center tunnel and rockers..

Yoplait yogurt label in German. (lunch on the assembly line?)
Some Canadian coins..
Business cards of former owner. (hi Randy ;-)

-Rich Hilgersom
Old 09-30-2002, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
In the 73 that we cut up last weekend, we found rust in the left-side longitudinal. Little chunks of scale that had flaked off the inside. It was a bit of a surprise, because the outside looked perfect--and the right-side longitudinal has been totally solid as well! No rust at all inside of it.

I'm thinking that the mediocre accident repair (replaced left-rear fender) allowed water to get into the left long and sit...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-01-2002, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I found a bag of old, nasty weed under the passengers seat... Maybe it was German weed No, I didnt smoke it
Old 10-01-2002, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I found the passifier from the linberg baby in mine
Old 10-01-2002, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

chrisreale, I wuda smoked it

Shoulda sold on the bay...........

OEM German made 914 Weed
NO RESERVE!!

73 Olympic Blue 914 1.7L (2L /4 back in progress)
69 Highlander Bug 1776
93 GL EV 2.8L The Van

914club.com Member #914
Old 01-10-2003, 01:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

A bag of golden eggs that I used to finance the rest of my Porsche projects and a dead goose.
Old 01-10-2003, 04:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Oh, man, talk about history uncovered. Glove box, under carpets, inside dash, and trunks all revealed what bars, auto shops and shopping centers the car had been to. Also reciepts showed owmers' names (one female, one male), but the thing is, it was all old. Nothing newer than '95. I suspect it stopped running about then due to the wires all melting together in the tunnel between the seats. I don't see how anyone would have ever found this unless they were going to strip the car down like I did. As is was, I was trying to pull the wiring harness whole and got frustrated. I decided to cut it in two and reconnect it later. By a stroke of lucky fate, I cut it right where it melted. You couldn't see it from outside the wrapping. I got off topic here, but I did find some history there too.
Old 01-10-2003, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Before the Long repair on my 1971 (now deceased) we discovered that they had been filled with some sort of expanding foam stuff. I mean _FULL_. Guy charged me extra to cut them off the car before welding in new longs.

James
Old 01-12-2003, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

my 72 had a locked glove box keyed differently then the rest of the locks, I was figuring a baggie of petrified rock, but all I found when Igot it open was a dull razor blade. My guess was close tho'

DrEBerg
Old 01-13-2003, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Tonyakavw Send a message via AIM to Tonyakavw
The longitudinal on my passengers side was stuffed with what seems like polyester pillow stuffing. And of course the accompanying friend Iron Oxide. I've found newspaper stuffed in random spots, but mostly sand. Somehow my car has sand everywhere. I imagine that some of this sand was at some point metal on my car, but most of it appears to be beach sand.

The EGR valve hoses have been plugged by the previous owner with a chapstick and a blinker light bulb.

-Tony Long

'73 with a '75 engine
Old 01-13-2003, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
I didnt think to check what was in the longituds when i cut up my other car.. but when i took off the rockers on my car, all i found was dirt, and an impressing original perfect paint.. no rust period. That was a very happy sight to me. I cleaned it with a wet rag and it looked like perfect paint. oh i loved it.
Old 01-13-2003, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche Crest

My longitudinals were full of mud and leaves and crap.

But... I did find a Buck pocket knife and cool carved stone hash pipe deep in the recesses of the dark corners of the engine compartment. Makes you wonder, eh?

Meant that the guy was smoking while working on the motor. Explains a lot actually.

Maybe Chris and I should get our cars together for a puff?
Old 01-14-2003, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
so where exactly are these longitudinals? I wanna know where to find all the weird crap in my car too.

WSU Formula SAE
Drivetrain team leader/ Suspension team
http://www.mme.wsu.edu/~sae/
Old 01-14-2003, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

The longitudinals (sp??) support the car along the bottom, from front to rear, behind the inner rocker panels. They are essential for proper support. Basically, if your car sags in the middle, chances are that your longs are rusty and need replacing. maybe you have a winning lotto ticket in yours
Old 01-14-2003, 09:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
I cleaned it with a wet rag
NOOOO... You got water near the longs of a 914!?! Your car is going to break in half the next time you sit in it!

Unless of course you used some of JP's dehydrated water...

JWest Engineering
Old 01-15-2003, 05:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Lol, The first time i actually dried my car from water was 5 months after i bought it.. i really dont like putting water on it. Actually i think that i cleaned it with the rag and put a little protecting wax on the longs. Hopefully this weekend i will get the new brake lines on, then i will finally experience pathetic 914 braking, well thats when my 320i calipers will come into play, Weeeeee
Old 01-15-2003, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: