Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Cutting up good tubs..ramble

It's funny to see the look of someones face when you tell them that you are cutting up what looks to be a nice car. They tell you the car is not that bad and you are doing the 914 community a dis-service by doing such. How many names I've been called I do not know or care?

When I decided I was better off time and money wise to dispose of my chassis instead of "restoring" it like many would have me do, I knew I would be judged for reducing the number of an already dwindling supply of 914's.

Do I care, yes, but what I am to do?

Why should I pay to store something for someone else to use and profit from years down the road?

I've cut up two of my own chassis, both '75 model years which could be one reason for no one in California to want them. But these have been solid chassis, with the rust so insignificant that it is silly to even claim the car has rust.

Sure both needed paint and a little bodywork, both items that I did not want to do myself or pay for, so it's easier and cheaper for me to strip these cars and find another car.

Will this cycle end? Sooner or later, but until then, don't cry about us cutting up cars when you could have done something about it.

end of rant, flame suit on
Old 09-30-2002, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

No flame from me.... storage costs a lot in terms of $$, aggravation, etc. It's just too bad that the people who are interested in getting into 914s (like me two years ago) aren't better adept at getting in touch with the folks who have these cars. I shipped a car back from LA to Flint (MI) two years ago this month. It's a 1974 1.8, it runs pretty well, is mostly rust free, but I still had to weld in a rear panel to the trunk, and it had a little bit of acid damage under the battery plus the whole battery tray (most of the original Olympic blue was intact down on the frame, and no firewall damage); also there is some bubbling under those damned rubber welting strips between the cowl and the front fenders. At only $1,500 landed in my driveway here I'm not complaining, but with a more patient search I could probably have found one like you had in the pics that needed NO rust repair for a similar price.

BTW, to those on the board who are thinking about bringing one across the country, I'd encourage it: seem like there are many people on the board who are generously willing to help, (even some who get sh&t about cutting up a chassis). It's likely a well spent $800 or so to put the thing on a truck.
Old 09-30-2002, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Mike Ginter

You know, a U-Haul car dolly can be rented for 5 days for as little as $140 I would think that a guy could drive from the east coast to the west coast, rent the dolly, and drive a roller back for as little as $500 in costs. If an right coast guy really wanted a rust free or nearly rust free 914, a week's vacation and $5-700 could bring home a nice roller. And a nice cross country drive.

I think it cost me maybe $250 to haul my brown car home (rust free roller with 2.0 and 901, see sig) to Denver. Not quite halfway to the east coast, but not that much further either.

Ginter's 914 stuff
Old 09-30-2002, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Mike Ginter

I almost forgot. You could even schedule it around a D&G swap, Pamona, AutoFest etc... so you could pick up some of those plentiful SoCal teener parts.

Ginter's 914 stuff
Old 09-30-2002, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

You Jerk! Just kidding!
I understand the situation that some people are presented with. I hate to see a car get chopped as much as the next guy, but at least you are taking the time to piece it out and offer others a chance to fufill their dreams by getting their car road worthy. At least the 914's aren't being sent to the dump, or set up to rust away in somebody's driveway. Next time somebody starts trippin' tell them to understand the whole situation before they start the beef.
Old 09-30-2002, 08:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
The trip isn't that bad guy's. My friend Dave and I went to Brads shop with a couple of other stops. We went to Renagades shop in Vegas first. Picked up a 928 motor. Stayed over night at the Flamingo Hilton. Drove to Diamond bar CA. to pick up a 1954 Healey I bought. Then North to Palo Alto area Stayed over night. Went to pick up a used glas 914 race car body at Brad's shop. then drove straight
through to MN. Four days eight hours round trip. We drove Dave's 2000 Ford F150 4WD Crew Cab towing my 12' trailer. (914 size) Total cost, gas, food, and hotels was $ 680.00. Dave and I split the cost and had a great adventure. I move the above from another thread.
WCC 04 done by the kids
Who says Aliens only abduct people.
Old 09-30-2002, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

You won't hear me (and a couple of others) complaining
Parts from the car will be put to good use on other less rust-free examples...

Cheers,

Jeroen
Old 10-01-2002, 02:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Jeroen,

Contact me.

Not sure if your getting my emails or not.

Dont forget..I have the chat room. Cheaper than a phone call and faster than email.

B
Old 10-01-2002, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Hey Brad,

I just e-mailed you...

Cheers,

Jeroen

ps the chatbox is usually empty when I'm awake 8^)
pps Mueller already has my part requests. I promised him so real beer, so I don't think he'll forget 8^)

Last edited by Jeroen; 10-01-2002 at 02:31 PM..
Old 10-01-2002, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Thanks Jeroen,

Now I'll have to share the beer with Brad

Mueller
Old 10-01-2002, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Ok, ok, I'll send an extra beer...
(darn, these parts are getting expensive)

Cheers,

Jeroen
Old 10-01-2002, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: