Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

bead blasting and plating ?s

Thinking of building a blasting box to clean up small to medium-sized parts.

What's the blasting material of choice for small parts to remove rust and oxidation. sand, glass... ?

i.e., I'd like to clean up my calipers before refinishing. or clean up small metal parts (door lathes, etc. before replating).

Speaking of... has anyone had any experience with any of the home zinc/cad plating kits (i.e., Copy Cad)?

Any advice would be helpful.

Regards,
Old 09-30-2002, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Mike Ginter

I use glass bead. In fact my cabinet has the same glass bead that's been in it for 2 years. It's pretty much powder now. Still works pretty well though, but too dusty. Time to renew.

http://members.rennlist.com/gman/compressor_sm.jpg

Ginter's 914 stuff
Old 09-30-2002, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Harbor Freight sells aluminum oxide and glass bead. The AO is pretty agressive, but not as nasty as sand. Sand is cheap and leaves the surface rough. I use sand in my portable going after rust in the body and I use AO in the blast cabinet. Glass is real nice for alumimun parts, leaves them like satin.
Old 09-30-2002, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Glass bead or Alunimum Oxide is something like 50 cents to a $1 a pound from Harbor Freight.

Sand from Home Depot, 9 cents a pound for 99% silica free kiddie sandbox sand...

Don't use silica sand to blast with unless you have special breathing equipment or a desire to develop lung disease.

- Dave
Old 10-01-2002, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Mike Ginter

As Zeke mentioned though, sand leaves a very rough surface. It depends on what you're blasting really. For the type of parts that kellzey was asking about, glass bead is ideal. And it will actually last quite a long time in the home shop.

Ginter's 914 stuff
Old 10-01-2002, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

my impression is that plastic media beads are best. harder than paint, bondo, works great scaling off rust, softer than steel. does not distort or remove good metal. io and silica will. less mess too. if you use silica and you do not get it all cleaned off (hard to do) it will get suspended in grease, oil and turn it into a grinding compound. i had some mags done with the plastic and they turned out fantastic. to work at home effectively you will need a large capacity compressor, 220 volt. the 5 hp 25 gal type can not keep up. you will need a water seperator also. i had contemplated a small (very)home business doing media blasting. no frames, smaller items that would require a delicate touch. that was until i found out the environmental hoops i would have to deal with. epa, HASSARDOUS waste disposal, zoning, business licence, quarterly taxes, etc. forget it. setup would have been about $2000, plus all the fines if i got caught.

kevin
Old 10-02-2002, 04:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

plating

I yave the same qyestion regarding plating. Does anyone know anything about it, can it be done at home. Where do you get the
tools necessary?

lews930@aol
Old 10-17-2002, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I have had a blast cabinet and it worked great, I now use a guy Enviro Tech who is close to my warehouse. He uses media blast material. Very inexpensive and it always looks great. Some things look good enough to leave as is or maybe a clear coat. This saves me a lot time and mess.Check your yellow pages.
Craig C. Laughlin CAMP914
Old 10-17-2002, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Re: plating

Quote:
Originally posted by lews930
I yave the same qyestion regarding plating. Does anyone know anything about it, can it be done at home. Where do you get the
tools necessary?

lews930@aol
*Plating* in most cases refers to electroplating. You need tanks, acids and electricity. Leave it to the pros. Yellow zinc is dirt cheap. You couldn't do chrome if you tried. At least I couldn't.
Old 10-17-2002, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

yellow zinc plating?

Is that what they call the color on the Porsche hardware? I've heard of people doing it themselves but can't get a straight answer from anyone. Maybe I'll just buy all new bolts

lews930@aol.com
Old 10-17-2002, 09:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

This was just dicussed over on the 911 BBS. Yellow zinc is the cheap way like the nuts, bolts and screws found at Home Depot and such. I think the Porsche hardware is, according to the pundits on the 911 board, is gold cadium plated. Still not a DIY procedure. They said that one of the rattle can companies made a spray that was a good fake, though. Search *cadium.*
Old 10-17-2002, 10:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: