Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Porsche 936 Go Kart

Don't know if this is the right place to post this but does anyone know of or have any information on this 936 Go Kart that I picked up down in Oceanside.

Its not a "Porsche 936JR" but seems to have been made earlier since it looks like a 936/77 Martini Replica.

I am just starting the restoration of this and any data would be helpful

Thanks

Old 08-12-2014, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
looks cool. im intrested in seeing more pics of the drivetrain. is that a peerless 350/400 gearbox? hard to see in the pic
Old 08-12-2014, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I've got some other photos that I will post tomorrow. I believe that it is from what I've researched.
Just getting into this thing.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage

Old 08-13-2014, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Stripping the body

Brought the body home this weekend and began to strip the rhino liner coating off of the body by hand. Do not ever paint anything with rhino liner! Heat gun and putty knife is the only method that yields any decent results. Been on it for about 8 hours now and estimate another 8 before I can get it to a marine paint shop.
The time with it has been goof though as I get a chance to really understand how it was constructed and where some of the weak areas are. I will need to do some repairs and reinforcement before it goes for paint.
It is the coolest body! I can't believe I found it.

Old 09-21-2014, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
The chassis is going in for weld repair this week also. Picked out an electric start 5 HP briggs & stratton for it which is what it should have originally had in it.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf914 View Post
The chassis is going in for weld repair this week also. Picked out an electric start 5 HP briggs & stratton for it which is what it should have originally had in it.
936's were turbo charged. You need to look for one that will fit a 5hp B&S.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 09-22-2014, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Man, that would be one tiny little snail!!

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-22-2014, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave at Pelican Parts View Post
Man, that would be one tiny little snail!!

--DD
Yeah with the 936 Jr's it didn't seem to be about the speed. There is a video out there with a guy driving it around on the street. Not a land speed record car that's for sure. Just a cool toy to have I think.

I really don't think that the 3 spd peerless transmission (rare) can take the torque from the 13.5 hp B&S that they modified into it. Better to be safe.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
yeah that tranny isnt going to hold up especially with that high gearing. are you sure it isnt a 5 speed? maybe they just took out 2 gears because they exploded lol. iv done that before. a 5hp briggs with a torque converter will move it along just fine. youre going to have to regear it for sure. thats a crazy setup. youll have to flip that diff around to get the sprocket on the right side. but looks like thats the least of youre problems right now
Old 09-24-2014, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche930dude View Post
yeah that tranny isnt going to hold up especially with that high gearing. are you sure it isnt a 5 speed? maybe they just took out 2 gears because they exploded lol. iv done that before. a 5hp briggs with a torque converter will move it along just fine. youre going to have to regear it for sure. thats a crazy setup. youll have to flip that diff around to get the sprocket on the right side. but looks like thats the least of youre problems right now
The Peerless has two forward speeds and one reverse. Not really going to change much. The engine surprisingly needs to be a vertical shaft setup so it runs down underneath with a sprocket that drives a sprocket on the underside of the Peerless. The outputs in a vertical plane down to the diff the drive shaft has two sprockets on each end which drive down to the rear wheels down on the end of the trailing arms. Weird set up but I want to keep it as original as possible. Problem is I don't know what that is so I have had to go with the way it came to me.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
yup i know how it works. that setup is common on rear engine riding lawn mowers. really not a great setup for a gocart. especially a porsche gokart but thats up to you. But If you get a vertical shaft engine make sure it runs good before you buy it. Alot of vertical engines from lawn mowers dont run good without the blade because they use the blade for flywheel weight
Old 09-25-2014, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche930dude View Post
yup i know how it works. that setup is common on rear engine riding lawn mowers. really not a great setup for a gocart. especially a porsche gokart but thats up to you. But If you get a vertical shaft engine make sure it runs good before you buy it. Alot of vertical engines from lawn mowers dont run good without the blade because they use the blade for flywheel weight
Will do. Thanks for the advice. I really don't intend to motor around in it at all. I just wanted to bring it back to life and hopefully sell it or auction it off to some serious Porsche collector. I want to use the funds to finish my 72 914 conversion into a GT with a 2.7 or 3.0 in in it.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf914 View Post
I just wanted to bring it back to life and hopefully sell it or auction it off to some serious Porsche collector.

I collect these! I have a 936 Junior, the 911 Junior, and a Porsche 962 go kart too! I would love to add this to the collection! Drop me a line at wayne@pelicanparts.com if you want to sell it and complete it on consignment?

thx,

Wayne
101 Projects for Your BMW 3-Series 101 Projects for Your Porsche 911 How to Rebuild & Modify Porsche 911 Engines 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster & Cayman 101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997 SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)

Check out our new site: Dempsey Motorsports
Old 09-25-2014, 11:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Wayne,
I'd like to come up and see the 936JR. We can talk at that time about my project.
Some more pics of the frame tear down. Needs the front end re-welded on with minor improvements and then it will be ready for powdercoating.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
i'm going to prepare this in the Martini Racing livery as the 936/77's.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
That's a cool livery color also. Hmmmmmmmm.........
Old 09-27-2014, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by URY914 View Post
936's were turbo charged. You need to look for one that will fit a 5hp B&S.
They make them...

20+ year PCA member

Many Cool Porsches, Projects& Parts, Vintage BMX bikes too

http://www.bvdmotorsports.com
Active Rennlist Member.
http://members.rennlist.com/racerbvd/
See blog for my For Sale & Wanted List.
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=337&
Old 10-13-2014, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: