Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

L Rear Sag-- Stumped

Problem is driver side rear almost 2" lower than pass. side. Measured at a couple of
places.

So, every thing's new or re furbed.
Bilstein's & new springs.
No rust (in body or swing arms or strut towers in trunk that I can tell).
Front ride height same on both sides (I know this can effect rear ride height on opposite corner).

But not sure how to get things even in the back.

O.k. to go down one on pass side or up one on driver side on the spring perch?
Currently they're both same---4th up from the bottom. Would that really raise
the ride height any way? Or just compress or un compress the spring a bit.

It's got new Weltmeister Anti Sway Bar on front, and I'm checking all this with the
drop links un hooked. No bar on the rear. Played around with adjusting opposite side front torsion bar/ride height but didn't effect rear much.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

p2
Old 08-13-2014, 09:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
First, make sure that you're checking from hard points like the suspension pickup points, not from the fender lip which can be somewhat inconsistent. (Due to assembly tolerances, accident damage, etc.)

Second, changing the height of the lower spring perch will indeed change the ride height. It's easy, and at least worth a shot.

It is possible that your chassis is tweaked. To check that, you would ideally want to find someone with a Celette bench, and have them rent the 914 fixtures. If it is tweaked, a good chassis shop can put it right. I don't believe this is a cheap option, though.

A more DIY method would involve removing the suspension and setting the chassis up on a known flat and level surface, then measuring from the surface to all of the suspension pickup points and other chassis hard points.

Alternately, you could make the measurements shown here: Pelican Parts: Porsche 914 Body Dimensions . More than one thing can affect each measurement (e.g., the windshield frame and the longitudinals both affect the measurement across the top opening) but if you get several measurements across different parts that show something is out of whack, you have a pretty good idea that something is tweaked.

It's just a possibility, though. Try changing the spring perch height first and see if you can get things closer to what you like.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-14-2014, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks Dave

For the directional pointer.

p2
Old 08-14-2014, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
before getting too deep id swap the struts side to side. if thats possible i dont know. Then youll know its them or something else
Old 08-14-2014, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: