Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

East Coast Group Buy (chassis')

Show of hands on who would pay 800$ per car/chassis to have them delivered to a central location on the east coast where everyone who purchased "said chassis" would gather to receive the "goods".

This BBS has probably gathered by now that I have a clue and I know what I'm looking at when its in front of me.

These would be the best California 914 chassis' that I could gather for the least amount of money.

With enough people, I'll secure a 18wheeler car hauler like the dealerships use and make the trek from Ca. to some place semi convenient on the east coast.

I can see this will be a logistic nightmare and will probably suck up a lot of my time (going and looking at cars) so... factor this in on your decision. I cant personally swing buying all these cars prior to shipping, so.. some trust is going to be involved while money is laid out and car gets purchased and prepared for shipping.

Comments ?

B
Old 10-01-2002, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Mike Ginter

Brad, you know if I needed another chassis you'd be on of the 3 guys I called (or scared up in the chat client, or emailed, or...).

For everyone else, I know I could completely rely on Brad's judgement. And I've been through 4 914's (for whatever that's worth).

Ginter's 914 stuff
Old 10-01-2002, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Brad,

What great timing! I have decided not to restore my Signal Orange 74, as I'm continuing to struggle getting the Ravenna 74 working reliably.

Soooo, I'd be willing to donate a shell for your trip to east coast. It's a straight shell, but has some rust in the following locations:

Light surface rust inside rear trunk lid lip.
Left, right & front engine bay trays have areas rusted through. The longitudinal extensions though are not rusted through and only have light surface rust.
Light rusting on hood trim sill in front trunk.
Some rust through on drivers floor board below seat.

If you think its worth the trouble, I'd be glad to split 50/50 what you can get for it. Otherwise, I'll likely be one of those "bastards" that puts it into the hands of an auto recycler.

It does have some decent parts on it still that could be included if necessary - tranny, fair interior, gauges, front & rear sway bars, AC blower, very nice rotors/calipers all around, and decent paint (better than my Ravenna). You're call.

You can see picks of it before I started dismantling at the link below.

Regards,
Old 10-01-2002, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Brad, if there is anyone I have ever met who knows anything and everything about 914s you are that person, and trustworthy too. A group buy is a great idea and would economically serve the rust belt states. Supply to meet the demand. I know you well enogh to know that your motive in suggesting this is not primarily financial. You like to help people when they are in need, its your greatest characteristic.

Our cars here are among the best, if not the best anywhere. I am privileged to have a 914 tree in my backyard and I can go to the well anytime I want.

If you had multiple drop sites, you could set up a loose 'dealership' network of imported 914 'lots' across the US. But then that would suck the great cars from here which would send them to their obvious slow death. Then our remaining cars would become expensive and hard to find. Yes they do rust here too, which is all we would be left with. Parts sources would evaporate and then we would not have as much fun. Then we would start fighting amongst ourselves to get to the remaining good cars first. Headlines would read 'rash of 914 thefts and carjackings in Bay Area, dazed owners left tied up in field. Cars no where to be found'.

But the Bradster would be flying 1st class around the country servicing the 'fleet'. Used fog lamps would fetch $5000. and a 2.0L GA code...don't even ask.

If I lived anywhere but here in 914 paradise This would be a great idea.

But I do live here, so this is a really bad idea.
Old 10-01-2002, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks Jeff,

I would only do this once. I dont plan to make it habit. I could have made money off of this years and years ago.

I'm getting swamped with emails asking for chassis'

B
Old 10-01-2002, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Hell of an idea Brad. Taking some of the risk out of the process of buying a shell should be worth $omething to people who have the "orange monster". Rust repairs are costly if it's gone too far and sometimes not safe either.

For anyone who has a sagmobile doors-don't line-up, holes in the floor, no battery tray, can't get the top on, my butt's wet 'cause the long is swiss cheese 914, respond NOW!!!! This guys knows what to look for, and he could save you big $$$$ on repairs by supplying a relatively decent chassis.

I wish I had this opportunity a while back. I'll spread the word!
Old 10-01-2002, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Ok,

I have secured 2 drop off points. One is Nashville Tenn. and the other is Philadelphia Penn.

Is this conveniant for those who want cars ?? The shipping will be 800$ per car no matter which drop off point.

We can do a delivery around the first week of Dec.

Now all I need is cars.

These can be complete cars or just rollers.

B
Old 10-01-2002, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Brad dont forget to put my name on the list.

The farther north you can go, the better it is for me of course.

Any special for rollers with roll cages ?

1973 914 2.0 mostly track car
1984 Golf ( Wife car )
1996 Volvo 850 station ( Good family-men car )
Old 10-01-2002, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I can do cages in some of the cars prior to shipping.

I will still have to get at least 1500$ for the cages depending on what options you want with the cage and install.

Cutting in the dash to make it look nice is a 5 hour procedure no matter how I do it. Bare min. on a SCCA legal cage with petty bar will be 1500$ dash cut in nicely 1750$

Philly is as close as I can get. Can you get down there to pick it up ??

This will all depend on whether we can get 10-14 buyers for tubs.

B
Old 10-01-2002, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

First car on selling block:

1976 2.0 complete running driving car (currently) 4500$ plus 800 shipping. I'll have pics this evening around 8pm Ca. time.

Or I can strip it and sell the roller for 1000k

Dont forget: this car HAS to run good or they dont pass smog.

B
Old 10-01-2002, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Ok. It was too dark to get pics and I was welding in a new engine lid hinge for another customer when the current owner brought the car 76 2.0 in.

Pics tomorrow.

Ok:

next chassis is a 74 LE roller for 1k

next one is a 73 1.7 chassis roller for 1k

Let me know if I should post pics here or not.

B
Old 10-01-2002, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I am interested in the pics of the rollers.

Make sure you dont come after the beginning of December, unless you like to drive in the snow.

1973 914 2.0 mostly track car
1984 Golf ( Wife car )
1996 Volvo 850 station ( Good family-men car )
Old 10-02-2002, 04:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Pics would be great Brad. Much interest yet? I guess I've done enough piddling on mine, maybe its time to start from scratch.
Old 10-02-2002, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Plenty of interest.

Now it comes down to who is blowing smoke up my ass and who is not.

It appears that I can get 10 people to commit.

It also appears that I can locate 10 cars that are decent examples for decent money.

B
Old 10-02-2002, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

well if I can't get the title for my son's 72 (been waiting since May) you might put me on the list too. What route would you be taking East Brad? Meet you down on I29?
Old 10-02-2002, 09:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Actually.... LOL

Your nuts if you think I'm involved with the transport of these cars. ha ha I hired it out. I dont need to drive across the US unless we are racing over "there".

There would be 2 drops. One in Tennessee (Nashville) and one in Philly. This is the only way to gurantee shipping the cars for 800$ apiece.

The driver could stop anywhere along Hwy 80 to drop off cars.

B
Old 10-02-2002, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Cars starting to roll in

Here is what I have in my posession right now:

1973 2.0 complete/runs drives..needs brake work, all electrical works.. tranny shifts fine, might need a clutch. Roller for 1500$ with 5 Fuchs. I would remove the engine and tranny.. or complete car for 3000$ plus 800$ for shipping. Paint is faded, but original ORANGE with tan interior (cool combo) Center gauge console (clock doesnt work)

1974 White Orange LE car that has had the Orange painted over. Great car, perfect dash,all electricals work including the dash fan. 5 Mahles with almost new 205/60 Yokahoma AVS's. Shifts perfect.
4500$ complete or 2500$ for the rolling chassis. Original white paint, perfect interior (seats have been covered all this time)center gauge console with working clock.

1976 Dark red ?? 2.0 90 point car that was garaged since day one. Runs perfect shifts perfect.. just a great car with great paint and interior. No Fuchs. Not a color change..cant tell if it has been repainted or not (this means they kicked butt on the repaint..or it has never been repainted) 5000$

1974 white 2.0 (Ex AC car with hole in the trunk floor) ruins great, 5Fuchs.. blah blah.. paint is OK at best. Solid car that is complete. 3000$ 1500$ without engine. Trans would go with chassis.

B

Last edited by Brad Roberts; 10-14-2002 at 10:38 PM..
Old 10-14-2002, 10:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Brad,

I know your email has been down, but did you get the private message from me about the pics for the 74 Signal Orange shell?

You can go to the link in my signiture, and choose the Boilermaker menu on the left. Pics are at the bottom of the page.

Let me know what you think.

Regards,
Old 10-15-2002, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: