Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Question fourth and fifth gear

in the past couple days fourth and fifth gear have disappaered at times from my shift pattern, only ocationally can i find them. I checked the motor and trans mounts, they appear fine but one of the bushings that i replaced last year seems worn out, the one at the transmission ( 73 sideshift), would this cause the loss of these gears.

also there seems to be a lot of play in gear selector as it enters the trans while in gear, what is a normal amout of movement? do i need to rebuild the trans.
Old 10-01-2002, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Play in the lever is almost always due to something in the linkage. Best guess at the moment is that your linkage slop is what is causing your 4th/5th gear problems.

Go through the "shifter improvements" tech article elsewhere on this site. Then adjust the shift linkage. If you still have troubles, then it may be time to start looking inside the transmission... (Read: "Bring money.")

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-01-2002, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I reckon Dave is spot on with his diagnosis.....whenever I put the motor back in and the linkage is wrongly adjusted I loose 4th & 5th or 1st & reverse.
Old 10-01-2002, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

[some more suggestions]

This used to happen to me occasionally. Check the two setscrews in the linkage: One at the firewall and one at the end of the rear shift rod inside the plastic cover.

If they are loose, put some threadlocker on them and tighten them down. The firewall joint is aluminum, so don't over tighten.
1975 914 2.0
Old 10-01-2002, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: