Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

----

----

Last edited by kdfoust; 06-20-2004 at 09:04 PM..
Old 10-01-2002, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
leak at intake manifold

n/t
Old 10-01-2002, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Hmmmmmmm......, Bernie may not find it unless he has a way to pass air over and under the car at speeds of 40 to 70 mph while standing there listening for the source of the whistle.

I'm gonna take a WAG and ask if you have noticed any damage to any of the undercar components from curb scrapes, running over objects or anything bent by improper lifting. It just takes one piece of metal or such hanging in just the right manor in a air stream to produce some weird sounds. This errant piece might be loose as well allowing it to make the intermitant noise. Like I said, a WAG. (Heater duct?)
Old 10-01-2002, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Do you have animal alerts (small sonic thingys that attach to the car) and very sensitive hearing?
Old 10-01-2002, 08:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Moons ago, I had a '71 and wanted to find out how fast it would go. On a long straight highway, put foot thru floor and let 'er rip.

After the run, car developed a "bird" ( as in tweet, tweet, tweet). Eventually traced it to the rear main seal. The blow by on the engine was exiting the rear main seal and the rubber lips flapping? made the bird sound.

Now, purse your lips like this and blow!

"Yellow Rusty Cars Are Faster"
Old 10-02-2002, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I know carbs can whistle under certain conditions, don't know if your car is injected or not, but beetle engines suffer particularly from this annoying sound.
Old 10-02-2002, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Intake air leak... maybe at the throttle body.

- Dave
Old 10-02-2002, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Quote:
Everything functions normally while the whistle is occuring. The whistle cycle is steady, that is, it doesn't change speed relative to the speed of the car or the engine rpms. At 40 it goes whistle - whistle - whistle, at 70 it goes whistle - whistle - whistle
I'm sticking with a non-engine related source.
Old 10-03-2002, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Wink

I got the same noise on my '74. I've tried driving with engine at idle (push in the clutch, take it out of gear...) and it still occurs so likely a non-engine noise. It quits below around 15 mph, seems to emanate from left rear.

I'm guessing tranny/CV/wheel related.

Old 10-16-2002, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Since I opened up the nose for the front oil cooler I now get a slight whistle. I love it....
Old 10-16-2002, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: