Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to eric_ciampa
Wiring harnes and rear caliper questions

Ok... here are my two newest problems in my 74 1.8L 914 saga...
1st. As many are already aware i bought the car late this last may as "good and reliable" so much for that. Before i bought it the guy who sold it told me that he "liked to do electrical work" and by looking at the wiring he is right but what he forgot to tell me was that he wasn't any good at it. The wiring harnes has been altered and cut open. I know at least that my fuel pump wiring has been altertered. anyways i remembered someone on this site saying something about a guy who refurbished wiring harneses for 914's. Does anyone know about this? I would be interested in talking with him.
2nd. I just found out that my passager rear caliper is leaking brake fluid. I know that these are big $$ and my mechanic is looking for some used ones for me but so far no luck. I am a college student with limited resorses. The car has been in the shop for almost a month now and has racked up a large bill already. What are my options... I know i can get rebuilt ones in the range of 280-400. As far as i know there are no conversions avalible as of now. if anyone knows of 9xauto i know they used to have them but i have never worked with them or know the quality of there work. My mechanic also said that newer VW's calipers are almost compatabe. I asked him what needed to be done and for how much and he said about 400$ and some modifications to the car. Any one else have any experience with rear caliper upgrades or replacement that might be helpful..
Thanks guys some times i feel like we are all one big happy family

you can write me directly at CHAMP914@hotmail.com [just no signing me up for any junk mail ]
Old 10-02-2002, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I have a brand new main body wiring harness for a 1974 914. These are really, really hard to come by.

It is the main harness from front to rear. E-mail me if you are interested.

kellzey@iepg.com

Regards,
Old 10-02-2002, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche Crest 2 options for the brakes

Eric;

You can either rebuild the brakes yourself for about $20 a caliper plus brake fluid (see my rebuild article under tech articles here on the PP site.) Rebuild kits are availble at GPR for $20 ea 800 321-5432.

Or GPR will sell you rebuilt ones. When I talked to Greg Landry over a year ago, he said they charged around $175 per.

My $.02 Be cautious of anyone who says they think a particular VW part will work. Firstly, you don't want to dick around with your brakes. You need those things to be working correctly. Secondly, there are many VW parts that do work on our cars, but your mechanic should know for a fact that a part is applicable to your car. Don't guess (or let him guess) at it. I am very fortunate to have a talented and knowledgeable parts supplier who has saved me some very good money by knowing the difference.

Good luck!
Old 10-02-2002, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

just find someone parting out a car and get a working rear caliper, not hard to find. I sold all 4 of my working and non leaking calipers for $100.
Old 10-02-2002, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Eric, I am the one who rebuilds and repairs 914 harnesses. I rebuild the D-Jet (1.7, 2.0) FI harnesses, ignition harnesses and alternator harnesses. They are completely new except for a few hard plastic bits that are not available any longer.

While I am not able to rebuild the L-Jet FI harnesses as yet, I can often repair them to serviceable condition.

Contact me directly for more information.

Jeff Bowlsby
bowlsby@aol.com
Old 10-02-2002, 08:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Do you know if GPR's rebuild kit comes with the entire set of gaskets so that the caliper can be split? Do they have a website?
Old 10-03-2002, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche Crest yes they do

The kit comes with all the required gaskets. GPR adds the needed fluid galley seals and the two screw adjuster seals themselves.

They do have a website German Parts and Restoration Homepage but the last time I checked the site was pretty light on content.

Wow. I just checked and they have updated it quite a bit. The Rear brake rebuild kit is not listed (the front is) but I know they have it. Call them

Last edited by HMeeder; 10-03-2002 at 06:31 PM..
Old 10-03-2002, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Try a914luvr (user name) right here on the BBS. I gave him some rears and fronts off my '73 'cause no one would give me any money for them. He has a swap meet comming up on the 27th of this month. Better get them before.
Old 10-03-2002, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to eric_ciampa
thanks guys for you help ... I have e-mailed a few of you guys. Anyways i think the 914 will be out of the shop on monday. (fingers crossed). thanks guys...

you can write me directly at CHAMP914@hotmail.com [just no signing me up for any junk mail ]
Old 10-04-2002, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: