Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

What is this ?? (see pics)

Here are some pics of a sensor mounted to a factory hole in a VW bus block. I would like to know what they used it for. It appears to be some kind of diagnostic port or something, but what info can they get from the flywheel other than a timing reference (which is what I'm looking for)

See pics below.

B

Last edited by Brad Roberts; 10-02-2002 at 08:36 PM..
Old 10-02-2002, 08:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Well,
B it definetly looks like a magnetic pick up for the fly wheel, but with out knowing what it attached to Im hard pressed to know for sure what its for. Maybe it was for RPM, I dont know if their tach is off of the coil like ours.
Mike
-74 BMW R90
Old 10-02-2002, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thats for the factory diagnostic system.....yep it a mag pick up for crankshaft position...rip it out..
www.massivetype4.com
Old 10-02-2002, 09:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Just the person I was hoping would answer the Question.

Thanks Jake.

So.. I cant use it to trigger a MSD or GM coil pak ?

B
Old 10-02-2002, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I have thought of that before, but never tried it....A BMW gets pick up from triggers on the flywheel, but accuracy is a concern on the TIV......
www.massivetype4.com
Old 10-02-2002, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Do you have a pic of what the flywheel looks like ??

I would imagine it has something to trigger this setup.

I need some head gaskets for one of the 2.3 engines (can you help ??) The cylinders have a step in the lip that seats against the head gasket (or does it seat against the head without a gasket)

B
Old 10-02-2002, 09:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
There is a blind hole on the back side of the flywheel in the postion of #1 TDC. This is also the reason for the small locating dowl on the crank flange, so that hole is lined up in the right location.

The general consensus is no head gaskets, which was also stated in a tech release from VW. The step in the head sealing surface, if not a carboned over stuck gasket, promotes a better seal of head to cylinder through the build up of carbon.
Old 10-02-2002, 10:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Chris,

Thanks for the "heads up" no pun intended.... but... these cylinders are for a 100mm piston and look nothing like a stock 2.0,1.7 or 1.8 that I wouldnt normally use a gasket on anyway.

In the picture above you can plainly see the "lip" that is machined into the cylinder. I'm guessing they used 911 head gaskets, but that is why I was asking Jake.

In our 1.8 race engines we machine 3 tiny grooves in the top of the cylinder "lip" and then machine 3 tiny grooves into the head so they actually lock into each other. This is how you keep all the compression in the engine.

B
Old 10-03-2002, 12:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I have heard of an "o-ring" seal for the six cylinder engines. In the case I am refering to it was a high boost turbo and the explanation for the "o-rings" was that they would still seal in the event the head lifted off the cylinder. But alast I have yet to get my grubby paws on any porsche six. Thanks for the picture, I now have a better idea of what the "o-ring" seal I heard about is.
Old 10-03-2002, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: