Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Porsche Crest Oil Temp Sender Q

Ok here's the deal...

Red Beard gave me a VDO Oil Temp Gauge (the aftermarket Cockpit Style.)

I go down to my local Performance VW shop and purchase the 323055 sender unit which on a type 1 motor would go into the drain plug hole. Simple, no-brainer installation right? Not.

Turns out the Drain Plug is different on the type 4 (assumption on my part.) The packaging on the sender says that it is 14mm with a 1.5 pitch and the part number says clearly 323055 D. But the drain plug hole is definitely a touch smaller Purely by guessing I would say 13mm at a 1.25 pitch. It seems like I have the wrong sender (like I need a 323055 C or 323055 B maybe?) but the 3 guys I have spoken to at Pelican know nothing about any other senders. Tom @ Pelican is looking into it.

I then do a search on these here PP archives and e-mail Dave for some info. He sends me a long laundry list of parts I would need for the stock gauge conversion or I could simply buy the 323055 sender. Well, hell. Isn't that what I have? Where to install the damn thing? I read through the archives and it seems that a few of them say that the sender goes up 'above' (meaning under) the taco plate.

Now I have managed to confuse myself. I want to make sure that I am clear on this. I need to remove the "Taco Plate" and install the sender inside the area where the plate covers? Well, then what? Drill a hole through the plate for the sender lead? I really want to get this straight because I guarantee that I have a very good chance to 'Eff' it up and end up with a huge problem.

I also have an external oil cooler and it seems that there should be a plug in solution Would anyone know of an in-line 'tap' for the sender? That seems easier to install it somewhere in the oil lines than to drill holes in the taco plate (potential for leakage very high) or like one clown advised, tap out the drain hole to the 14mm 1.5 pitch size (Hmmm, metal shavings in the oil? And I can't figure out why it won't stop leaking.)

Any thoughts? Advice? Pity?
Old 10-02-2002, 10:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Isnt it great dealing with sales people that dont know their ass from a hole in the ground ?? Build a car some time guy's... learn what your selling. (Referring to the VW store guys') had to edit this and make myself clear before all hell broke loose.

This is what you need: It is NLA and only found on 2.0 engines. Your current sending unit screws directly into this thing no matter what gauge you have.

B

Last edited by Brad Roberts; 10-03-2002 at 01:22 AM..
Old 10-03-2002, 01:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to jamcleod
i bought a sending unit for a temperature gauge for a type IV (that's what we have ) that screws in instead of the oil drain plug. it has a spade connector that is bent at right angle so the wire won't stick down in harms way. could this be the sending unit you bought? then no taco plate needed.
Old 10-03-2002, 03:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche Crest Well, yeah

J

Exactly. Do you know where you got that drain plug sender? Like I said, the one that PP sent is the wrong size for that particular application. I'm hoping to find the right one instead of jumping through all these hoops or half-assing a taco-plate conversion.

Maybe I should try ordering through a VW Parts supplier (like out of HOTVWs) and specify a type IV application? I'll look into it.
Old 10-03-2002, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
If you have a part number, we could correct this problem in our system.

Sorry, Herb--I may have gotten stuck in my thought pattern and not realized what the real question was that you were asking.

My "laundry list" was for the stock-type sender--B posted a pic of the stock sender and "upper plate". I don't know the part number for the sender that fits the T4 drain plug.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-03-2002, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

IMHO,

Your half assing it by not using the factory plate and a typical sendor. You could have already been done with this.

Just what I want.. a wire in my when changing the oil (blah)

B
Old 10-03-2002, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
i think it was from bus depot (probably busdepot.com, sorry pelican parts, i do buy alot from PP too) who is a parts vendor geared to buses (type IV, that's what we've got ). it's not in the way when changing the oil since you slide off the wire and unscrew the oil drain plug (now oil temp transducer) just like before. drain plug socket fits just like before.
Old 10-03-2002, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche Crest

Brad,

Didn't you say that the parts are NLA? Which means that I have to scavenge the parts from a 2.0 case which I don't happen to have. Which means that I have to track down the parts through yards and contacts and make sure I have all the parts (ie Dave's list) If I am lucky and get everything the first try it may be a several days until I get them all. How is that "already done?"

Maybe I need to phrase the question/problem differently. I have a '71 1.7. The car has never had an oil temp gauge and I would like to add one. Because it doesn't have the stock sender set-up (upper plate, lower plate etc.) I would need to retrofit a sender to work with the aftermarket gauge. The gauge blurb here on the PP site basically says that to add the aftermaket VDO gauge to a car that doesn't have a stock gauge, I need only get 2 parts; the gauge and the sender. This doesn't seem to be the entire story. I know that it is possible to get an oil drain plug sender and I also know that the one I was sent is used for precisely that function on a type 1 motor. That leads me to assume (and jamcleod's post confirms) that a drain plug sender for a type 4 exists. Would I like to have a sender in the stock location? Absolutely! Do I have several motors and parts cars laying around to scavenge stuff from? No. I'm just some poor shmoe laying on his back in the driveway, trying to do what he can with what he's got. I'm not crazy about a wire in the way either, but it would work until I get the other parts I need.

Dave. here's a shot of the sender PP sent me. There are a half dozen numbers on it, so I'm not sure which one it is you would need. The one that caught my attention is the 323055D right above the diameter and pitch. This made me wonder if the exact same sender is available with different diameters and thread pitches (ie 323055A could be 12mm with a 1.25 pitch, 323055B could be 13mm with 1.25 pitch, and so on.) Just a thought.

Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 10-03-2002, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jackmech
Here's what I found, there might be something of use here. This all refers to Type 2 & Vanagon in general, so some it Type I engine stuff. So while it's not obvious, there might be something useful here.
-----

Temperature Gauge - Oil

An Oil Temperature Gauge is the most important gauge you will ever need on your Bus or Vanagon. It should have been a factory-installed item and it wouldn't have cost that much to do it. But they didn't. We strongly recommend the installation of an Oil Temp Gauge, especially for those who put in a lot of miles on their Type 2. Acceptable Oil Temp reading should be between 190 to 210 degrees, depending the ambient temperature. 72-83 Buses and Vanagons tend to run a little on the warmer side, so an external oil cooler may be needed to bring the temp in-line. Dipstick Senders are not recommended for the Type 4 style engines (72-83) as they are not long enough to reach into the case to accurately inform you of both the oil temperature and correct oil level. In addition, our experience has been when using a Dipstick Sender that it can be very inaccurate (reading temp too high). Oil Plate mounted Temp Senders are usually more reliable for an accurate reading. On upright engines, the Oil Plate Sender IS NOT to be mounted in place of the drain plug - the sender probe will hit and dimple the strainer, restricting the oil flow. You must follow the instructions provided with the sender to drill the plate offset from the drain hole to prevent this. Temp Senders are sold separately. All gauges are 2 1/16" Diameter. Note: If you're a sharp looker, you'll see that a 250F Water Temp Gauge is pictured above - This is because VDO never shot a photo of the 300F Oil Temp Gauge and it doesn't appear in any of their catalogs!

VDO-310012 Oil Temp Gauge, 300F, 12 Volt $29.50

VDO-323888 Oil Temp Sender, Sump Plate $15.45

VDO-240827B Sump Plate, Special Drilled for VDO-323888 for Bus/Vanagon Air Cooled 72-83 applications $21.94

VDO-323081 Oil Temp Dipstick Sender For Bus/Pickup (Upright Engines) thru 1971 $40.80
Old 10-03-2002, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche Crest Looks like I'm wrong...

It's happened before.

I've done some calling and searching and most everything I have found basically calls for some surgery to the motor. I even called busdepot and they said that the only solution was to drill a hole in the sump plate to install the sender. (not sure how jamcleod got his) I read on one type4 site where it said a few very early motors had a type1 size drain plug. Looks like I will have to find a donor somewhere to get the right plate.

Thanks again for the info everyone.
Old 10-03-2002, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
My temp sender is actually the dipstick. I found a VDO dip stick that doubles as a sender. It has two wire connections on top and wires to the gauge. I don't know how accurate it is but it works. I'll post a picture if anyone wants to see it bad enough.

Now I know someone will pipe up and tell me it is piece of crap.
Come on I can take it...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 10-03-2002, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jackmech
URY914,
Actually see my post above about the dipstick version.
Old 10-03-2002, 11:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
or maybe it was california imports vw parts
Old 10-04-2002, 03:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: