Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

wavey bumper

Does anyone know how to get the waves out of the rubber bumper top other than buying a new one.
Old 10-03-2002, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Good question. I have the same problem. I've asked one guy and the responce was that it's rust on the bolts holding the rubber down. I thought, crap! ... that's all I need. He also said that once it's there the only way to repair is a new top rubber. I don't know if it's true, that's just one persons answer. It'd be nice to hear from others to get a forsure answer.
bruce
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 10-03-2002, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

good luck

sorry, but the chances of restoring the top rubber piece so that it is not wavy is about slim to none.........
Old 10-03-2002, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I had same problem. When you remove it from the bumper, you will see that there is nothing you can do to repair it. Leave it alone unless you want to replace it. because once you take it off, it looks even worse when you put it back on.
Old 10-03-2002, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche Crest Ditto

My experience is the same.

I removed the top rubber once and 2 of the bolts that hold it to the rubber pulled out. Once I had the thing off I discovered that the strip was very flexible and 'crunchy' meaning that the long strip if steel sealed inside the rubber to give it rigidity had by now completely converted to flakes of Iron Oxide.

Instead of buying new rubber ($$$), I 'gooped' new bolts into the old holes and bolted the thing back to the bumper. I have found that even brand new rubber has a waviness to it. I even saw an aftermarket fiberglass replacement that had a bit of the waviness molded right into it. I think it has always been and always will be a bit like that. I've learned to accept it.
Old 10-03-2002, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I inquired with one of the fiberglass body replacement vendors about fabricating these parts as mine and most all that I have seen are bad.

His reply was that I should buy the rubber ones. So much for listening to the customer. I think he needed to be a 911 snob more than he needed to sell ten thousand much needed parts.

Do you know who made the fiberglass ones that you saw Herb?

Fin
Old 10-08-2002, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche Crest Saw it at the AX

Guy I know that I autocross with has the fiberglass bumper. I'll ask him at the next event (won't be until November though)
Old 10-08-2002, 11:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I had this problem when I first got a 914. I found out that the only way to remove the waviness on the top rubber was to remove the top rubber and replace it.
On my 74 six, I got luck and the car has fiberglass. I saw a 914-6 from Washington state at the Porsche Parade that the owner had fiberglass bumpers, and had painted the lower section a silver and left the top black to look like rubber. My fiberglass bumpers are from Mike Nugent, custom made, look like stock 914 bumpes, they look great and if you want lightweight, this is the way to go.
Craig C. Laughlin CAMP914
Old 10-10-2002, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

We sell front and rear Fiberglass 914 bumpers in 2 different configs. One config has mounting tabs in the stock location (it bolts on) and the other is more race oriented and has No mounting provision (DZUS them on)

We own the moulds and can have them done in white gel coat or black. We stock black mostly.

The bottom one is the most popular for racers.

B
Old 10-10-2002, 10:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Yes, I used to have wavey bumpers too. Now I have custom made fiberglass bumpers. I made them myself. The lower section of the bumpers is painted gloss black and the top is satin black. It is not easy to notice they are fiberglass. I think they look good and they are a lot lighter than original.

timo
ī71 914-6 3.0L
Old 10-10-2002, 10:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
parts 914 timo

I am just curious is there a parts availability problem in Finland, do you have sources locally. Or do you have to go to Germany or the U.S. and what about used. Thanks Dave
Old 10-11-2002, 03:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Spare parts

Oh, what could I say.... I donīt think we have availability problems here, but yes, most of my spare parts I have bought from Germany or from Belgium. I have ordered some parts from U.S. too. Even used ones.

There are some small one men companys importing new and used Porsche parts, but the markets are very narrow. I think we have here in Finland about 1100 Porsches and only about 20 of them are 914s. So, you can imagine that it is not very easy to find some special 914 parts or service here.....

But, I have to say that I have been very lucky. With very good friends here in Finland and there in Germany, Belgium and U.S. too I have managed to find all I have needed. So, thank you all who have helped me. Thank you very much.

Now I am looking for 911 starting motor and bigger four pot front calipers. A pair from 944 turbo would be nice. I donīt believe I will find them here, but I will find them sooner or later somewhere. Looking for parts is part of the hobby for me here.

timo
Finland
ī71 914-6 3.0L
Old 10-11-2002, 03:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: