Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Never left, but not right

I'm gonna pour sand in the motor...

...and get it over with!. I can't believe all the little things I've missed seeing trying to put this motor together. First, someone dropped the crank gear on the ground or something hard whlie the crank was out for balancing. I left the gear on because I was checking cam lash on pre-assembly. Figured they could take it off and I woudl put it back on. It was good when it left here, but tore up the cam gear when I turned the motor over by hand.

Then I get this Weltmeister tuna can for the oil pick up and it won't go on smoothly like it says in the desctructions. By the time I get it on, I can see that the O ring is toast and there are aluminum shavings down in the pick up tube. (The motor is upside down on the stand). Take it off and clean everything up and install it again. THE SUCKER IS A QUARTER INCH TOO LONG!!! No way is the tuna can gonna fit in the recess of the case. The package says for "914-4, 912E," so I guess that means any TypeIV. I give up. Hundreds of dollars in new parts and machining and the thing is now full of bits of aluminum.

I think I'll just send it to an early grave by firing it up shavings and all. Nothing is easy, that's for sure. I just thought I'd vent and let you guys know that everyone has their troubles.
Old 10-03-2002, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Take the oil pump cover off (if factory style, remove entire pump) remove the gears and spay some cleaner into the pump feed with the engine right side up. The pick up tube leads staight to the pump and this should remove the aluminum shavings from the direction from which they entered. For now its just time to step back. From my experience the more frustrated you get, the more expensive the project becomes.
Old 10-03-2002, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Milt,

I FEEL YOUR PAIN . . .

I rebuilt the top-end of my 2.0 liter exactly one year ago, and guess where its sitting? In pieces at the local Porsche garage. We mis-diagnosed the condition of the cam, then I had to go and install all my new pistons pointing to the front of the engine (can you read between the lines?). So just after spending all summer getting the AC together and working - the engine goes to crap.

Fortunately I have a temporary one from my other beater, but its not in the best shape either. At least I can drive it. Now I just have to scrape up the $$$ to get the other rebuilt. Fortunately, the case, crank and heads are salvagable.

Anyhow, once I was finished being totally PO'd at myself, the car, and the shop, I realized this was just another one of those "wonderful learning experiences" life sends our way. Of course owning a 914 one might think we're asking for it!

I did however have the car out for drive this evening. The sky was clear, the temps were around 75, it was cruising nice. Wow! I needed that!

Keep your eye on the big picture and enjoy!
Old 10-03-2002, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Try doing it everday, 16-18 hours a day.......now you know why work is not cheap....Those little things will absolutely kill the pocketbook and tinme table.....being able to inspect parts and find flaws is where experience pays! The ONLY way to learn is by destroying things, the price of a mechanical eductaion is not cheap, tuition to Yale is probably cheaper.

Make sure you have the correct oil pick up tube in the engine, there are 2 different lengths. This can cause the tuna can problem. You'll learn that aftermarket parts are truly junk.
www.massivetype4.com

Last edited by Jake Raby; 10-03-2002 at 10:06 PM..
Old 10-03-2002, 10:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

If it helps....
I was really careful doing mine. Took my time, checked and rechecked, walked away if I wasn't in the mental 'zone' etc...
I made some stand offs for use with washers so that I could bolt the cyls on without the heads to check the deck height. Overtightened one - CLINK - broken cooling fin. S**T!
Then, finally, torquing the heads on - CLINK - S**T! I'd left a washer on the stud, sandwiching it between the head and cylinder. Dented the head and snapped another fin. Hope I didn't warp the head... Kept working and reversed the heads - CHT on the wrong side - and assembled the lot. Aargh! I realized it late and am going to leave it be - I'm running carbs.
Oh yeah - found out the shorty DCNF manifolds block access to the plugs, I'd installed the distributor sub optimally WRT spark plug wire dress, and my engine tin repairs make spark plug removal very difficult (gotta enlarge the holes a bit) and that my clever carb linkage fouled against the tin. All easy fixes, but yet another stop, disassemble and modify....
Jake's video was a big help with general assembly.

Tackle it tomorrow.....
pics at
http://www.syer.net
Old 10-04-2002, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the encouragement guys. It's a new day today, right?

Jake< I hope your dad is feeling better for today at least. I sing about my insignificant problems when there are people all ove that suffer.

Anyway, what is this about 2 diff lengths on tuna pick up? The package says it's for my car (get that, my car, not my engine, like people don't know what engine they are working on, so they buy it by the model of car). I calcualted that the pick up should be about an inch and 3/4 when it bottoms out, but the tube supplied is 2 inches long. Whasssup?
Old 10-04-2002, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

The oil pick up in the engine may be the wrong length, I have seen it happen several times, it causes misalignment like crazy, but the factory plate will still go on..tuna can will not.

I don't use the tuna can, never have needed them, something else to break or leak oil.
www.massivetype4.com
Old 10-04-2002, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Jake (and others), I have 3 factory oil pick ups to examine. To be sure, none are exactly the same. And they have a curvature to them just about where they enter the *hood* that makes installation of the Weltmiester pick up a challange. I.E., you're trying to install a straight piece onto a curved one. This is where the end of the factory pick up wants to gouge the inside of the aluminum and drop the shavings down into the original tube. The concept of the Weltmiester unit is solid, but the design leaves a lot to be desired. A better coupling is needed.

BTW all, I have been using Jake's video as a guide. I have watched the thing all the way thru and now and following it step by step. I have Tom Wilson's book as well. I think you need both for all the infomation required to assemble a motor. For instance, jake does not address piston ring end gaps, he assumes you are using a p/c set. All in all though, it is an excellent piece and a must have. Thanks to Tom and Jake. Weltmiester, take a hike.
Old 10-04-2002, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Also, if you are using a HD aftermarket oil pump, a modification must be made.
If my memory is correct, it must be spaced out a with an extra gasket...too many beers ago, some one please chime in...
Old 10-04-2002, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I used both wilson's book and Jakes video as well.
Come to think of it, neither Jake nor Tom Wilson address rocker geometry. Jake doesn't talk about setting deck height.
pics at
http://www.syer.net
Old 10-04-2002, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Jake, if you don't use tuna cans then do you have a solution to the oil running away fom the pickup that happens to 914s in long cornering situations?
Old 10-04-2002, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Jake, anymore videos left? I'd like to abscound with one. Let me know the price.
Zeke, hang in there. I just bought a motor to play with so I'll be comiserating wit'cha before long.... maybe!
bruce
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 10-04-2002, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Stay away from my Member

Quote:
Originally posted by James Adams
Jake, if you don't use tuna cans then do you have a solution to the oil running away fom the pickup that happens to 914s in long cornering situations?
In order of increasing cost, hassle and probably effectiveness, you've got (a) tuna can, (b) deep sump, (c) gizmos like accusump, HD oil pumps, bypass mods etc and (d) a full blown dry sump setup like John Rogers has.

The tuna can worked fine for my previous car under heavy cornering loads. Unfortunately the new car seems to have an early version of the eurorace header that leaves very little clearance for a tuna can or deep sump. I'm not sure if it would fit or not. The car does have an HD oil pump according to the papers.

Of course the real solution is to switch to a -6
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle
Old 10-04-2002, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: