Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

front suspension conversions

Just doing some dreaming here. For those who have converted to 911 front suspensions, what are the differences between the 914 and 911?

My biggest concern is weight. Is there a huge weight penalty for going to the 911 suspension?

I also envision doing a 5 lug conversion and brakes from 911, or 944.

Would tuning the 914 suspension put it on par with a stock 911 setup?

Just something to ponder on your free time, thanks fellas
Old 10-05-2002, 04:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Bigger is better

But as you suspect heavier. Unless you you get 911 S calipers (same dimensions as BWM 320i). Vented rotors also have more mass thats why they work better. 911 suspension cross bar is aluminum I would think you save a few pounds. The rest is breaking even. Just think how light your car is now

Just don't put everything back on it
Old 10-05-2002, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Almost everything you can do to a 911 suspension, you can do to a 914 suspension--in terms of tuning. The torsion bar housings are the same size, just different splines. You can buy just about any torsion bar with the 914-4 splines, but of course there are a wider variety of 911 ones available used.

The biggest two differences are in the brakes--911 ones are indeed a good bit heavier but are more effective--and the five-bolt lug pattern.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-05-2002, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Would tuning the 914 suspension put it on par with a stock 911 setup
Uhh... if you tune it badly! The 914 handles better than the 911. The 911 brakes are bigger, and it has larger torsion bars to compensate for a heavier car. What is it you like about the 911 handling that you don't like about the 914?
Old 10-07-2002, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Re: front suspension conversions

Quote:
Originally posted by sweater914

Would tuning the 914 suspension put it on par with a stock 911 setup?

What is it you like about the 911 handling that you don't like about the 914?

Exactly, Dave. The main reason to consider a 911 front susp is for the struts w/ the 3 1/2" spacing for the S or A brakes and the ability to use a vented rotor if desired. The rest, as you say is the same stuff, why change it? I learned the hard way. Next time, just the struts will get changed.

Edit: To clarify my statement, sweater914, you don't have to have 3 1/2" spacing for vented rotors. The early 911 M brakes used vented rotors. Either one will get you five lug hubs.

IMO, the 914 could accomadate a few pounds up front down that low. Same as moving the gas to the spare tire well.

If you're gonna carry weight, carry it low. Works for cars, not the human body.
Old 10-07-2002, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

It's not that I don't like the 914 suspension. Reading some Excellence articles and it seemed the guys who did suspension/brake improvements used alot of 911 components. I was curious to know if there were any real advantages to changing, except for the aformentioned brake conversions.

The car is being torn down at the moment, Joe Ricard has seen it. I'm trying to get an idea of the possible improvements to the suspension that will keep the weight down or lower it. Making sure to keep the car in balance. Unsprung weight = bad
Old 10-07-2002, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

if you want to lower it the right way in front I would get the modified 911 SC struts from rich johnson that have the raised spindle. I've got a set, but haven't put them on yet. I believe it will lower your car 20mm in front.
Old 10-07-2002, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The 911 stuff is used because there are tons of 911s out there to scavenge from. Even if you're not raiding their corpses, you can still use the aftermarket support they have.

The suspension bits are just about all the same in function. You can't quite mix-and-match (some you can, some you can't) but they all serve the same purposes in just about the same way.

The other main reasons are to get the big ventilated brakes (you can still do that with four-bolt setups, but it's a lot more $$$ because you're pretty much in custom-fab country) and the five-lug wheels.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-07-2002, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to madd_dogg_914
I believe that the most important element has been skipped over here people! WHEELS!!! The 914 looks awesome with the wheels that Porsche SHOULD have put on it. Upgraded suspension and brakes is just a bonus!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5 lug.jpg (43.7 KB, 254 views)
Old 10-07-2002, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
What about just doing a hub and rotor conversion? im Thinking of doing that, although i will probably finish polishing my riviaras today then i will put the michlen tires on and i will be able to finally drive the car . nice thing about having a manual tire changer, 27 gal air compressor, buffer/grinder, and a wheel balancer. My time is free for me so oh well.
Old 10-07-2002, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

My last car had rebuilt brakes, 19 mm master cylinder, and stainless brake lines, and PBR metal master brake pads. I noticed a nice improvement in braking.

I also installed larger torsion bars, heavier rear springs, and Red Konis all around and the car handled very nice. I didn't have any sway bars. It handled nice.

My "new" 914 has a Carrera front supension with sway bar and aluminun crossmember, coil overs, and stock brakes in the back with a T-valve.

WOW! What an amazing difference in braking. Brakes like my Boxster. Handling is also very nice. The current suspension is a bit stiff, so I get jolted going over a bump too fast.

I would definitely purse the five-bolt conversion. Forget the 320 conversion. Get some nice fuchs or aftermarket 5-bolt wheels.

Next step for me... flares and wheels.

Regards,

Karl Ellzey
Old 10-07-2002, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

don't know how much the struts are, I bought mine a while ago and forgot. email rich at a914guy@aol.com. he does an amazing job with everything, the struts look brand new.
Old 10-07-2002, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Stay away from my Member

FWIW, if you already have 911 struts, there are various shops that can modify them for you. If you're in Calif, it is perhaps most cost-effective just to ship them to Bilstein in San Diego. They can do stuff like custom re-valving as well.
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle
Old 10-07-2002, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: