Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Koni Sport Leaking - Some Questions?

Hi,
I have a Koni Sport adjustable shock (yellow) that is somehow leaking.
There is a trace of shock oil running down the side that beads up on the bottom but doesn't drip.
Took off the shock, cleaned everything really well and actuated on the bench by hand. There is no sign of oil keaking from anywhere. Up and down action is smooth and provides uniform resistance. The gas charge is still there just like before, so when I push all the way down, the plunger extends itself pretty nicely.

Having said all of the above:
Where did the leak come from?
Why isn't it leaking on the bench?
If a seal is bad to allow oil to leak out, why is the gas still in there?
Or, are the gas and the oil contained in separate chambers (unlikely)?

TIA
Old 09-18-2014, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If you have a lot of miles on the shocks then leakage will start eventually. I did not see a location under your name but in the San Diego area there is a Koni race shop in El Cajon and they will overhaul the shocks and setup the valves to suit the driving type you do. In other parts of the country a race shop can do this or send the shocks off for work and it is cheaper than new ones.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by john rogers View Post
If you have a lot of miles on the shocks then leakage will start eventually. I did not see a location under your name but in the San Diego area there is a Koni race shop in El Cajon and they will overhaul the shocks and setup the valves to suit the driving type you do. In other parts of the country a race shop can do this or send the shocks off for work and it is cheaper than new ones.
Thanks John. I'm in Orange County, CA. What is this shop in El Cajon called?
Old 09-18-2014, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Sorry, I have no idea any longer. The shocks I had them do was in 2002 which is a long time ago it seems now. You might try Bilstein Shocks | Bilstein PSS10 | Bilstein PSS9 | Eibach Springs | Koni Shocks | Tokico Shocks as their address is the same as the place I used on Hill street.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: