Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Atlanta,GA Vendor WARNING!!

PLEASE POST THIS MESSAGE!
I have had it with Dr. 914 and his organization! I would like to help my fellow 914 owners by warning them of probable mental anguish, high blood pressure, lost time and money. It is unbelivable that a firm claiming to be the 'best' is so pathetic! Typically when placing an order the saleperson has to call you back with the current price and availibility. (Do they use computers or what?) Let me tell you, it is a very uneasy feeling when the person on the other end of the phone doesn't even know what's going on. Although the personnel I have spoken to all seem very friendly and sympathic, I feel the company's motto is: "Hey if you don't like it, take your business elsewhere."
I have been a party to three orders with this firm and EVERY order was a NIGHTMARE!!!
My last order (9/2/98) consisted of a clutch clevis pin & fork, ignition switch and a oil temp sender kit. All of these parts will EASILY fit in the palm of your hand with a total weight of less than one pound. I was told that to get the parts next day I would have to pay $60 for shipping! After negotiations the order was sent priority mail for $18. I did receive the order on time but: 1) Even after my salesperson says "I have everything right here in front of me," my order was incomplete. 2) I was charged for parts that were not shipped. 3) The oil sender was the wrong part and the kit(plate & gasket) was omitted.
When I called back to see what was going on i spoke to George and was informed the part number in their catalog was incorrect and that they would ship the parts out Monday(9/7/98). Today(9/11/98) I call to find out where my parts are. A very nice woman informed me that my parts were on back order and had not even been shipped! She thought that one part would be in (9/14/98) and the other possibly (9/18/98). According to this I might have all of my next day shipment within one month!
The bottom line is this:
DO NOT USE 'INFAMOUS ATLANTA'!
If you have tried EVERYWHERE else and can not find what you are looking for, use them only as a last resort.

NOTE TO WAYNE:

I hope you kick their butt!! I am sick and tired of dealing with firms that have forgotten that the customer IS the reason for doing business.
Old 09-11-1998, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Hmm, I wonder what the best way is to respond to this one. As an owner of a Porsche Parts business, we have the motto "The Customer is Always Right." If something goes wrong, we try to fix it. We stock many items, but some are not popular enough to stock in-house. Our distributors usually can get us stuff same-day, but occasionally, the stuff becomes backordered. Plus sending out many orders during the week, there is plenty of room for confusion.

However, when anything goes wrong, we try our best to fix it, whether it's sending you the parts next day air on us, or sending you a free CD, the customer is king, and we depend upon you guys to pay the rent here (literally!) Nobody is perfect, but when we mess up, we try hard to fix it.

Thanks everyone for your support. It is appreciated wholeheartedly.

Thanks again,

Wayne
Old 09-11-1998, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

AMEN Vic! With the exception of the part numbers, your story sounds almost exactly like mine. I personally sent three faxes and two emails to the infamous Dr. 914 registering my displeasure with the service I was receiving, guess what, NO RESPONSE. I agree with Vic, don't even think about ordering from Atlanta, GA unless there is absolutely NOBODY that has the parts. And if you do, prepare for BOUCOUP headaches. By the way Wayne, any word on those 3" belts I posted an inquiry about?
Old 09-11-1998, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who felt ripped off by those guys. Save yourself a heartache and headache and order from Pelican Parts.
Old 09-15-1998, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Hi there. I've been so busy with the 911 catalog that I haven't really had time to visit too often here...

For a limited time, and for only those who see it here (please don't post this on the internet), we can get you the 5-point Dietz harnesses in Red for $250/pair. I don't think that there is another place on the planet with that price...

Give Tom a call at 1-888-280-7799 if you're interested, but this price will only be good for a relatively short time.

We don't have any used ones at this time...

Thanks everyone for your support!

Wayne
Old 09-15-1998, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanx Wayne for the deal but that is still more than I want to spend at this time. If they were camlocks, I might go ahead and spend the money anyway.

By the way Vic, how's your order with our friends in Atlanta coming along?
Old 09-17-1998, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I'll second the notion! about automobile atlanta. I have had several orders come back with the wrong parts late and ordered from rude sales clerks. Luckily I needed all the extra parts anyway. There are many other companies out there that are just as cheap in the back of european car with the small adds, try em.
Old 11-26-1998, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Here is another one. Upon call, if it is not an obvious sale, you are put on hold (on your nickle, forever) while you listen to the self praise of AA. If you have heard it before (when you called to complain) it soon becomes irritating. Then the toll call continues to mount along with your frustration. The 700 tips book is excellent but I hope will soon become public domain. I am sure AA would love to work on your car and save you the effort. However, if you are a hobbiest or enthusiast who likes to do things hands on, get ready for the rudeness, boorish behavior, and the now famous "back-order dance". Mine was about a stiffening kit my body repairer needed. I ordered on time to no avail. No amount of begging could get me past "please hold". I got the kit from another supplier (didn't know of PELICAN) and wound up with two. Anybody need a rusted stiffening kit? I can not imagine placing another order there. Then, how about the phantom '98 914 reunion?
Old 12-01-1998, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Dr. 914, haven't you gotten the message, YET? Just exactly what does it take before you decide that the customer is a valuable commodity? Your competition like like Wayne at Pelican must absolutely love you. After dealing with your company, people are willing to pay anything as long as they don't have to deal with AA. It's a whole new ballgame, you're not the only place to go anymore. You are in control of your own destiny. What's it going to be?
Old 12-10-1998, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I'm certainly happy that Pelican is here, and I look forward to doing business with them. However, the criticism of AA on this thread is so inflamed that I have to respond. Although AA certainly does not have a touchy-feely personal touch, George has given me outstanding assistance, often at very odd hours or on weekends. Their shipping to me has always been fine -- prompt and accurate.

Having said thast, good wishes to Pelican -- competition is good for everyone.
Old 01-04-1999, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

PeterB

Since I am one of the individuals that has blasted Dr. 914, please allow me to retort. I bent over backwards to give AA every opportunity to right their wrongs. I tried to cut as much slack as I could for the brand new employee on the phone taking my order. I truly believe he was trying but was not equiped to handle orders at that point in time. However, after receiving wrong parts, not all the parts, broken parts, shipments up to two weeks late after paying for 1st or 2nd day delivery, being lied to numerous times, mulitiple unreturned calls, multiple unreturned emails, and I believe three unresponded to faxs to the famous doctor himself, I am little disgruntled. Am I out of line, I don't think so.
Old 01-04-1999, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Everyone makes mistakes, myself included. We shipped out a record number of packages during the Month of December. If you have an error rate of even just 1%, then you are bound to make mistakes.

As I always say, it's not the mistakes that you make, but it's how you handle the customers to whom you mess up with that really proves that you care. We try very hard to keep everyone happy - especially when we make mistakes. If we ship you the wrong part, we will get the right one to you as quick as possible (sometimes overnight on us) if need be.

Thanks everyone for your support. I appreciate it sincerely...

-Wayne
Old 01-09-1999, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Hey has anyone heard anything about those 'virtual flares' that Atlanta is advertising in Excellence? It's been well over a year now that they have been 'producing' them.

Any body have any info?

-Wayne
Old 07-05-1999, 02:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to oredith Send a message via Yahoo to oredith
well.. maybe i can help find out what's going on.. i'm actually IN atlanta right now on a school trip.. i'm not exactly sure where aa is in relation to georgia tech.. but i'll find out and make my way out there.. I'll confront the "doc" in person and ask about those flares..

class is starting..

pleasant city though.. after being here for 2 days.. i've already seen 3 914's..

-Jeff
Old 07-05-1999, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

This reminds me of my youth when we played "Dogpile" ..everyone jump on! Okey, it's my turn. When I bought my very used 914 in December I had no idea where to turn for parts. I searched the web and discovered the most touted parts source, so my first parts order was from Georgia. Later I discovered Pelican and try to obtain my parts from here. I recently tried to locate shift coupler bushings (the joint connecting front and rear shift rods). Tom told me they are not presently stocked by Pelican due to Porsche's high price and low customer demand. I turned to Atlanta and ordered a set of GENUINE bushings and the coupling pin. Now anyone with any modicum of intelligence should know you can't use one without the other. I received the REPLACEMENT bushings which should work just as well but I was not consulted. The $3 pin was back-ordered. My credit card was billed $10 for the first Fed-Ex shipment which could have been mailed in a reinforced kraft envelope at a far lower rate but should have been held until the entire order could be shipped. When they do get around to shipping the $3 item I am sure it will have another $10 shipping charge tacked on. I've also noted in past orders that my shipping preference has no bearing.. My requested U.P.S. Ground was disregarded and the higher shipping cost added to my invoice. Pelican has quickly become my retailer of choice. Oh.. while seeking the afore noted bushings I called with my nickle the Atlanta number.. the sales person put me on hold to check availability before obtaining my name, address etc. After nine inutes on my nickle I hung up and mailed my order instead. That was I figured they could look all they wanted but not at my long-distance nickle.
Old 07-05-1999, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to paulhagedorn
Brister,

Have you heard of a parts supplier known as Automotion? I just ordered the complete set of shift bushings and two pins from them. It was made by Weltmeister and is a complete kit. Not sure of how much it cost me, but they do fit well.

Old 07-05-1999, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Paulhagedorn:
Yes, I have looked up Automotion on the web but haven't found the complete set listed by anyone. What AA advertises as a complete set does not include the two bushings I noted. I have previously replaced the "complete set" sans the bushings connecting the two shift rods.. they cost far more than the incomplete "complete set". Two pins? Why? Only one pin is used in the coupling.. unless you are referring to the shift lever houseing. - Bill
Old 07-06-1999, 04:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

The kit that you ordered is the wrong kit. Automotion doesn't sell this kit. If you look at their catalog, you will see the small print "not for 914." I think that if you install the bushings that you bought from Automotion, then you will probably have problems.

By the way, we beat Automotion's price on every single item in our catalog!

-Wayne

------------------
Pelican Parts has the best in both Parts and Tech Support. Support Pelican with your Parts Purchases and help support the site!
Old 07-06-1999, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to paulhagedorn
The kit that I refer to is the correct kit from Automotion. It is specifically for 914's. The number in their catalog that it is is #1.424.824.

The two pins that I was referring to, which I thought was being discussed were the two screws for the shift bar.

I have installed the bushing kit and it the car shifts wonderfully.

I also got a 15% discount on the parts.

Wayne, I guess I will have to get myself a catalog or something from you so any parts that I need come from you. It sounds like I would be saving myself a lot of money!!!
Old 07-10-1999, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Catalog? Here, try this:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/914_catalog.htm

--DD
Old 07-10-1999, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: