Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

tires with "flat spots"?

I finally got my 1975 1.8 L-jet smogged and registered today after four years of non-operation. While sitting in my garage over the years, it was in various states of being jacked up, i.e., front, back, front and back, not at all. I am getting a noticable shake in the front end and steering wheel at about 50 to 65 mph that wasn't there before the car went into hibernation four years ago. The tires were brand new then and there was no shake at all. I have been told that "flat spots" will develop on tires if they are left bearing weight for a long time without any movement.

Does anybody know if this happens and whether getting the wheels balanced will help?
Old 07-15-1999, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Like you, I have heard that it can happen when the wheels sit with the weight on one spot. Balancing would not help, as the problem is the tire being out of round. Some places offer a service to make the tires round again, that might work.

--DD
Old 07-15-1999, 09:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

This brings back memories.. forty years ago to be exact. Of course things change and today's tires are rounder, I'm sure. Back then I knew a fellow who drove a truck to tire stores, auto stores, etc. The truck was a mobile shop containing a machine upon which a new tire would be mounted and which then spun the tire much like a balancing machine. A knife blade would be lowered across the tread and the high spots would then be shaved away, producing a truly round tire. At least until it was driven awhile..
Old 07-16-1999, 03:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: