Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via ICQ to paulhagedorn
80 PSI!?!?!?!

No, I am not driving my car with that kind of pressure.

But, with an in-line fuel pressure guage that is the kind of pressure that I am getting before the pressure regulator and also when I hook it up to the fuel rail on the passenger side of the car.

My engine is a '73 2.0l with the original fuel injection. My question is,

Is it the fuel pump or the pressure regulator or both?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks in advance, Paul
Old 07-15-1999, 10:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
Either the pressure reg is bad, or something is blocking the line. Try bypassing the FPR with a piece of tubing. The press should read really low (0-2 psi maybe. If it is still high then try flushing all the lines, and take the return nipple out of the tank and clean it. Try adjusting the FPR maybe it will knock something lose. Maybe it is full of varnish if the car sat for a long time.

Don't forget that gauges sometimes fail, was the gauge you're using compatable with gas? Also if it is one of the electric type I don't trust them. The ones I've tried (two from Cyberdyne) read about 10 psi high all the time. Which means I was leaning out my motor.
Old 07-16-1999, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The engine that I put in my car did sit for about six years before anything was done to it. The pressure guage is mechanical and is specifically for fuel injection. I bought it two days ago, and it reads up to 100 psi.

I ordered a new FPR from a local parts place for $27. I don't have to buy it, though. I will bypass the FPR today to see if that is the problem.

By the way, the car itself sat for about 2 years before I put the engine in it. I did take out the fuel tank and clean it out a little bit. I should probably give it a thorough cleaning, though.

Thanks for the response,
Paul
Old 07-16-1999, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Well,

I just bypassed the FPR and it still jumps up to about 75 PSI.
Well, I just took off the return nipple and there was so much crap in it, I can see why I had that pressure. I couldn't blow it out with my mouth!!! I am about to reinstall the nipples and the tank.

Let's hope that that was my problem. I am keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanks,
Paul

[This message has been edited by paulhagedorn (edited 07-16-1999).]
Old 07-16-1999, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: