Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

What's a good wax?

Getting ready for the long sleep, i.e. winter in this part of the world. Put a coat of wax on the adriatic blue (deep/dark blue) finish & still see imperfections . I don't know when it was last painted , but before I have it done this winter, does anyone have a suggestion or recomendation as to a good wax/ finish? I've searched this site but haven't seen an answer.
Any suggestions will be appreciated. // Econo.
Old 10-26-2002, 03:29 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Mike Ginter

If you're having it painted this winter, I wouldn't put any wax at all on it. It will just have to come off anyway.

If you're not having it painted this winter, than you could probably find an answer to your question on the 911 BBS.

Ginter's 914 stuff
Old 10-26-2002, 03:35 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Bleyseng
Have you tried to buff it out with a buffer? If you don't have a electric buffer you could always do the by hand karate kid thing....wax on-wax off, wax on- wax off....circular motions with hands.....
couldn't resist.......
Geoff

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 10-26-2002, 05:13 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
If your looking for a good wax, anything with carnuba in it works well; mothers, liquid luster, zymol, come to mind. It takes more effort to apply and rub in but is worth it in terms of a quality finish.

A good cheap wax I was introduced to while detailing boats was Rally, comes in a can go on easy and rubs off well. I try to aviod turtle products, just a personal opinion dealing with effort and quality.
Old 10-26-2002, 06:07 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
3M makes a good paste wax. I have been using Meguires crystal system wax, and I like that too. I don't like Meguires yellow "high tech" wax. I've also heard that Blitx 1 grand is good as well as the various Zymol products. I don't like the liquid waxes, as they never seem to last long. Same thing with the cleaner waxes, although the added cleaner can be nice. One more thing; make sure you're waxing your car in a warm, dry garage. As silly as it might sound, it makes a huge difference. Good luck!
Old 10-26-2002, 06:28 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Anybody used this stuff. It looks tempting.

http://www.5starshine.com/

Phil
Old 10-27-2002, 06:02 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

wax

Never use a buffer on the paint - it will leave swirl marks - always use a soft 100% cotton towel or diaper. And wax in the direction/flow of the surface.
do a small area at a time and remove the cleaner/wax just after u apply it. dont let it dry. Use one cloth to apply and rub on. And another clean cloth to remove. You'll get a nicer end result this way.
PS21 makes and excellent cleaner and carnuba wax. Mothers is good 2. I used their 3 stage in the past but have switched to PS21.
Ive been to a few concours workshops and this it what they suggested. The only flaw is seen with the PS21 wax over the mothers is, it doesnt hide imperfections as well. However, it does seem to apply much easier and leave a nicer/deeper finish.
Old 10-27-2002, 06:52 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I like da stuff inda Orange bottle... 'cuse it matches ma car
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 10-27-2002, 07:04 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

If you have enamle or lacquer, the carnuba waxes are probably fine. If clearcoat (and they also have excellent regular paint polishes, I used it on my '90 BMW) then go to www.zainobros.com the stuff has to be applied a coat per day (unless you buy the activator; expensive but a real time saver), but once you get it done it really shines and outlasts anything else I've tried. they don't do credit cards, which is a pain, but some distributor down in Texas does, and that's who I got my polishes from.
Old 10-27-2002, 08:54 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I like zymol, but I would use K-mart brand or turtle wax before I would use another Maguire's product. Maguire's canuba cleaner wax lasts for less than a month on my car. It also looks a littel clowdy (black paint). The zymol lasts at least three months or longer. I still have some Maguire's sitting on a shelf in my garage just because I haven't gotten around to throwing it out yet.
Old 10-27-2002, 08:51 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Old 10-27-2002, 08:51 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: