Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Health watch of motor

I need onother advise from you.
Every time when I get oil changed. Little amount of metal has come out with old oil. The shop I trust warned me I have to do OH in near future but I have no budget for a while. I just wonder if I install Vaccum Gauge to monitor health of motor, will I know when I MUST to do OH?
Does anyone install this part on your car for daily driver to monitor for this kind purpose?
Old 10-26-2002, 09:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
engine health

Seams to me your engine is giving you a very good sign that all is not well!!! I would park it untill its repared, or it will undoutedly self distruct. Then you will need to replace the entire motor instead of a rebuild. Just my 2 cents. Dave
Old 10-27-2002, 01:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Not sure about that

Engines are made of metal, Duh you know that.
All metal parts rub together and wear no matter what oil or filter you use. I have changed my own ol since I was a young lad and have never NOT found metal particles in my oil. Just fine speckly stuff some ferous some not.
3000 mile intervals 2 Porsches 928, 914, Two VW bugs, Three Fords A few GM products, and a Toyota. NEVER blew up a motor NEVER had less than than 100,000 miles on them. Bodies usually quit. My 928 has never had a wrench to the valve covers 125,000 miles.
Now big chunky stuff is different!
Old 10-27-2002, 03:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
engine health

Joe; I took his post to mean there is an excess amount of metal in his oil. Not just what you would expect from normal wear and tear. Or why ask the Ques? Dave
Old 10-27-2002, 03:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Bleyseng
You could have the oil analized to see what kind of metal it is in the oil. That way you could see if it's the cam going, the bearings (lead) that kind of thing.
I bet Sammy G knows alot about this kind of stuff.....
Geoff

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 10-27-2002, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I'm curious how he's finding the metal. Magnetic drain plug?
Old 10-27-2002, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
look at the used hot oil in the sunlight, it shouldn't have too many sparkly things in it. No you don't want your motor oil to look like it has pretty gold flakes in it.
Geoff

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 10-27-2002, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I'd run a magnet thru the oil to see if you pick up the specs, then that can tell you what material it is. If the magnet picks it up, you've got camshaft problems (with a T4? ), if it just sifts thru it, it's bearing material.

A valve adjustment would be in order as well, that can help out telling if you've got a set of lifters going south.

Later,
Tom
Old 10-27-2002, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
The amount of metal is not too much but it sizes about 0.2 cm long, 0.2 cm wide and very thin.
I have not tried magnet test yet but assume it is from bearing.
Old 10-27-2002, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
by the way, how much does it cost to do OH of 2.0 FI motor in general figure?
Old 10-27-2002, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

General figure= $2500.00
Old 10-27-2002, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Yea but

I read it twice to make sure I didn't make any assumptions. We can rad here inthe south. However I am a transplant. (ain't from around here)
Old 10-28-2002, 02:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
A vacuum gauge will give you some idea of the health of the intake. It won't say squat about the bottom end. An oil pressure gauge would probably tell you more about the bottom end (esp. main bearings and oil pump).

10 PSI per 1000 RPM is what you want. If it's lower than that, start saving $2500+. Probably more, frankly, because the cylinder heads almost always need a fair amount of help....

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-28-2002, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

For the record, I don't know squat about used oil analysis except for what Dion and Sons tells me. Thats the company that handles the oil samples we send out, they fax me a real pretty analysis paper for every sample and we just follow thier recommendations.
It's a no brainer, which is perfect for me :-)

I would recommend getting a sample of your used motor oil and sending it to a similar lab, they are all over the place.
They will be able to tell you what kind of metal it is, and maybe the likely source. That way we could make a more educated guess on how long it will stay together before you have to rebuild.

If it's aluminum slivers, it might have something to do with the cam gear?
babbit could be bearings, etc. cast iron could be from cylinders/rings,cam.
Old 10-28-2002, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Thank you for your advise.
I may check oil pressure first.
It seems like I better start saving +$2500 to day!
Thank you again.
Old 10-30-2002, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Or locate a good low miles 2.0L motor for $1000 that a guy doing a six conversion is selling. See the classified ads for listings
Geoff

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 10-30-2002, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: