Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

914/6 oil tank question

I had a question about the installation of an oil tank on a conversion car. This is going into a race car, and my question is:

how much of the original grommets, rubber, boots and spacers do I really need to use.

Brad, I figured that you or someone out there has had involvement with a race -6, and might know if I could ditch some of the parts in the interest of weight...

p.s. If anyone has updated their 6 racecar to a front tank, I'd be very interested in buying a stock tank used..

TIA
brant
Old 11-01-2002, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I mount them with rubber grommets unless its a street car.

Forget the sponge (in between the filter console and the wall)

B
Old 11-01-2002, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Brad,

Grommets??? where, why etc???

Thanks
Old 11-01-2002, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The factory tank had plastic "washers" on the tank side and on the nut side for the studs that held it on. If you mount them solid with nothing in between...they will crack the stud mounting with vibration (crack the tank) over time.

So.. I install something to reduce this chance.

B
Old 11-01-2002, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

!!!!!

Is this true of aftermarket (vellios) tanks as well?

Last edited by scg; 11-01-2002 at 05:42 PM..
Old 11-01-2002, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I havent had a Vellios tank in my possession long enough to check this (I use the factory tanks unless somebody brings me a Vellios)

The 2-3 Vellios tanks I have used, I mounted the exact same way as I would a factory tank. I have seen 9146 conversion cars with cracked walls where the tank mounts from solid mounting.

The 6 tank puts off some serious heat right behind the drivers door. Guess what this heat cycling does to a tank mounted solid against the body ???

B
Old 11-01-2002, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Wow,

I think all of my begging paid off...
I want to thank everyone for tips and help..
I just lucked out and got a used tank and accesories from Otto in Venice....

Really helpful, tons of advice, and filled my head with great ideas and tips.

I want to thank everyone again for helping me get back on schedule with this project... and thanks to Otto too... thanks for an hour of your time giving me advice.

Once again the 914 people have helped me turn around a stumbling in my project and the community has gotten me back on track...

brant
Old 11-02-2002, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: