Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Need some guidance on an external oil pressure sender

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to my 914, and really in-depth car maintenance in general. With the help of friends, I've learned how to drop the motor, get the heads off for repair, fixed some electrical problems, and psuedo adjust the carbs and linkage. This list and Pelican deserve a LOT of the credit!

Well now I'd like to get what I believe is the dual oil pressure sender unit working. Its mounted on a hose sticking out the top of the oil filler assembly. It's a small cylinder with 2 screw posts out the end.

How can I check to see if it works? Am I looking for resistance; how much, etc?? How does it connect to a VDO gauge?

I guess I need to know if the sender or the installed qauge is bad before I go and buy any replacements.

Thanks everyone!

Brian
2k2 VW New Beetle Turbo S
Old 11-02-2002, 06:01 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Brian,
You say it is attached to a hose that comes fro the oil filler neck? It shoudl come from a screw in boss located right next to the distributor. Near where the sheet metal meets the engine case.

If the sender is indeed an oil sender it sounds like it has one lead for the "idiot light" and one for the guage itself. As for how to test it .....? Might be easier to buy a new sending unit and matching guage... if they don;t match you could get wrong readings, think " sure does seem to run cool" as the engine melts..
Old 11-02-2002, 06:57 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Oops you are right...sorry. I should have known that, I had to replace the fittings after we got the motor back in...

Getting new components was my original thought, but I am trying hard not to just throw money at it (theres plenty of other stuff to do that with!)
2k2 VW New Beetle Turbo S
Old 11-02-2002, 07:11 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I installed the VDO oil pressure sending unit and the stock swich using a 1/8 npt T on the end of the hose. I found that the gauge read zero but the light didn't come on if the engine were running. I installed a basic 60psi gauge along with the two sending units for a sanity check. Now I know that my gauge reads 10 psi low in the lower range. When it says zero, it could be 10 psi. Above 20 psi, it is reasonably accurate.

Also, make sure that your senders are grounded. Originally, they were grounded through the threads, but you have put a rubber hose in there.
Old 11-04-2002, 05:09 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Old 11-04-2002, 05:09 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: