Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Just recieved a FREE 914

Hello group. This is my first time posting here. I am a regular Rennlist groupie though.

I just wanted to share a story. During Parade here in Boise this summer, a friend of ours was visiting that I knew had a 914. He is in his late 70's and with his wife is pretty much living in his motorhome now. I told him that my wife and I were looking for a 914. He said to just come and get his. He had a 1974 914 1.8 that he had not started in about 4 years and and it was taking up room in his garage. I knew he had owned it for the last 20 or so years and had bought it from the original owner, so I jumped at it. I got it home this weekend and all I can say is "Wow".

Let me just say that these type of situations are only dreamed
about. This little guards red 914 is IMMACULATE. I am talking about absolutely CORRECT in every manner. It is bone stock. It has ZERO RUST. The battery tray is still painted nicely from the factory. The car had not been started in 4 years. I installed a new battery, checked the oil (still clear and yellow) hit the key and it fired right up. No smoke or anything. It just sat there and idled nicely.

The interior is spotless except for one split in the drivers door sill
about 1/4" long. The dash has no cracks, the seats have been freshly re covered, even the factory AM radio works flawlessly. Ok, that will have to go in place of an CD player. The heater works (as well as they can), the fans kick on, even the light for the defrost lever works. The front and rear trunks have no signs of any leakage and the paint is glaeming. All the factory tools are there as well as the jack and carpet are in great shape. The spare tire was replaced at the same time as the rest of
the tires 4 years ago with 190/60/15 M+S tires. They still had the
nipples on them.

I did not drive it untill I got it home to Idaho. I ran it down to put a
fresh tank of Chevron in it and took it for a spin around town. The power is excellent. The acceleration is smooth and the steering tight. I think it is due for new shocks, the original Boge's have 98,000 miles on them. There are a few squeeks and rattles, but all in all the car is near showroom condition.

The best part is that the car was given to my wife and I. Free of charge. I feel I owe this man a major debt so I will keep in close touch and as soon as I see a need, I will be there.

I will post some photos as soon as I take some later this week.

I only hope that my 944 does not feel neglected.........

Jay
Silver Sage Region
Membership Chair
1987 944
1974 914
Old 11-04-2002, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Paul_Heery Send a message via Yahoo to Paul_Heery
Jay -

Congratulations. It sounds like a big time score for you there.

To pick a nit, the 914 was never available in Guards Red. Being a 74, your car is most likely Bahia Red.

Check out all of the safety items, change the oil, and go have some fun. Maybe you can talk your wife into exercising the 944 once and a while.
Old 11-04-2002, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Here is a link to a 914 paint color site. It also has a link on it to Chuxters similar site which shows the paint codes found on your drivers forward door jamb.

http://homepage.mac.com/markd/914/colors.html

The best things in life are FREE! Show us PIX!

Welcome to 914 ownership. If its really that stocka nd clean, my vote would be to leave it that way. Even a 1.8L, don't mess with it.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Don't let your excitement stop you from being prudent.

Change the oil and filter. Four years of sitting has had an affect. And, take the car to a tire shop you trust. The rubber may be a lot more brittle and stiff than it is supposed to be.

A new fuel filter would be smart too. Replace the brake fluid and bleed the system, and check the rotors and pads.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for all the suggestions

Please do not stop all of your wonderfull suggestions. I am a mechanic and have a full shop set up in my garage though. I have some atf in the engine thoroughly cleaning things out. (an oldtimers trick that I have found to really work) After driving it to work today, the car will go up on blocks for the winter. I really prefer my 944's superior heating and defrosting, as well as the stereo. But I will go through the car with a fine toothed comb and perform all the tune/lube/maintainence items she needs to be a reliable and safe car. Of course, I will also install a new stereo and headers, because the stock system is just too quiet for my "fun" car .

Jay
Old 11-04-2002, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The stock heat has always worked quite well for me. If you are having heat problems there is a problem somewhere. Does the auxialryt fan in the engien bay turn on when the floor lever is pulled? Are the all the heat tubes in place at the heat exchangers or are they blocked somehow? Your totties should get nice and toasted with the stock heat system.
Old 11-04-2002, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

That's what I was thinking. I've never had an issue with the heat in my 914s.
Old 11-04-2002, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Heat

It gets plenty hot, and the fans all work. It is more a matter of distrobution for the defogger coupled with the 15 degrees F on the drive to work this morning. The front windshield stayed fairly free of mist except for the extreme edges, but the side windows were fogged up.

Through the winter I may improve the system a bit with auxilary/additional blowers. Then again, I may not. This is an occasional use car and I usually drive the 944 in winter, or the 4x4 when the snow is over 6" deep.

I will see about getting a couple of photos tonight for posting tomorrow.

Jay
Old 11-04-2002, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

coming from MI and driving beetles there, let me say it makes a huge difference in the effectiveness of the heater when it is cold outside (-20F to 20F). my 914 heater worked fine for the cold nights in SF (maybe 45F) but I don't think it would work too great in states with real winters.
Old 11-04-2002, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Mike Ginter

Welcome to the nut house Jay. Congrats on the car. Free? You can't beat that. The first drive you got your money's worth out of the car. The rest is gravy. Sounds like you picked up a nice survivor ride. I'd probably maintain it that way. But it's your car...

I notice all of you guys talking about how well the heat works live in fairly warm climates. 914 heaters work better than bug heaters, but when it's 20 degree (or less), with ice on the windshield, 914 heat ain't great.

Ginter's 914 stuff
Old 11-04-2002, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

wow nice score there sounds like you have a great 914 there! Im sure the owner would be quite happy to hear how enthused you are and what your doing with it. best of luck
Old 11-04-2002, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

My experience with the 914 heat was in a "medium level" winter. That was back in Virginia - 30s were common 20s not so common.

I have not lived in a really cold area, so I can't say how well it works in teens and less.
Old 11-05-2002, 04:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Heat in 914,s

God; some of you guys kill me, N.W. OHIO & S.E. Mich. a week ago last Sun. driving to the S.E.M.O.G. Haunted Run. Heater worked great when stopped for a traffic light, the trobble is of the two hour drive 1 1/2 hrs. was all Xway had to drive with the window down a little to keep it from fogging up. And wore my leather coat. So not much simpathy here. But the scenery and the other 914'ers made it worth it. Dave
Old 11-05-2002, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Bleyseng
Congrats! (some people have all the da*m luck).
I got good heat when I switched to the SSI exchangers as they seem bigger=more hot air.I have driven my 914 in the 20's and it heats up the the cabin fast! The defrost takes a few minutes but who is in that big a hurry... Check all your hoses and connections to make sure they are tight.
Geoff

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 11-05-2002, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

What's this "heat" stuff people keep talking about? (Headers. Sorry, had to say it.)

"Free is a very good price!"
-- Tom Peterson
Old 11-05-2002, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
I bought my 914 in July. The PO showed me the aftermarket exhaust, and I thought, cool...

Now I'm thinking...cold!
2k2 VW New Beetle Turbo S
Old 11-06-2002, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: