Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Help dropping engine in C. Florida

I'd like to drop my engine and tranny this weekend. Anyone in the Central Florida area (preferably someone who's done this, wanna come and help?). Free beer and lunch to any helpers. Not too much beer. I don't want the engine ending up on my foot!

Also, the engine and exhaust will be for sale. 1.8L rebuilt about 10K. Original fuel injection. Powder coated sheet metal, jethot coated exhaust. Runs great. No oil leaks. I prefer not to ship. Discount to purchaser if he/she comes and helps me drop the engine.

Thanks,
Old 11-04-2002, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
On Sunday I'm going to be dropping one with Lew930 at his house in New Port Richey. Where are you in Orlando? North/South? I may be able to come over Sat.
Paul

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 11-05-2002, 03:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Karl,
If you don't find a local to help, I will come down and help you. I have dropped and installed at least a dozen by myself. Email me with your phone number and I will call you.
Phil
philinjax
Old 11-05-2002, 04:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Karl,
I am willing but I don't think the wife would like it too much. She doesn;t even like me working on my own stuff.

If URY914 makes it on sat. Maybe I could get away for a few hours and drive over.

Josh
Old 11-05-2002, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for all the offers guys! I live in East Orlando, near the University of Central Florida. Off of 417 (Orlando Greenway) and 408 (East West Expressway).

Saturday or Sunday would be fine. Whoever thinks they can help, you can call me 407-382-2169. Up until 9:00 PM please, as I have a 2-year old at home.

Thanks,

Karl Ellzey
Old 11-05-2002, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Karl, I'd come by but the wife has a friend from out of state this weekend. Let me know if you delay. Rob
Old 11-05-2002, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

karl, i'll help!! i may be forced to work sat. but only half a day. sunday would be no problem.

let me know what day and time.

need a floor jack?? i've only got a little one but it may help. what are you going to put it on when you get it out?? i can get you a pallet. i had mine on a pallet with casters on the bottom. made it really easy to move around by myself.

doug
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dougwatersfotos/
Old 11-05-2002, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I just did this a few times on my car in relation to a tranny rebuild. I'd recommend the furniture dolly that Home Depot sells (per the Pelican article ($19)) However, the one change I'd recommend is putting a couple blocks of 2x4 on the crossmember of the dolly that supports the tranny. This way the tranny doesn't drop very much and you don't have to do a bunch of gyrations to get it pushed back up to the transmission mounts when you go to reinstall. After you go through it, you'll see it's a fairly simple procedure, but somewhat time consuming the first time. Have fun.
Old 11-06-2002, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Karl,

Looks like you're making good progress on the GT. Good luck with the engine pull. Its not really that tough. Just take your time and think things through.

Couple of tips:
1) Remove the exhaust prior to engine drop. Makes things more managable. Especially since you're selling the engine.

2) You may want to consider spending $70 at the local Checker Auto Parts to buy a lift (sometime referred to as ATV lifts). They support over 1200lbs, and work great to get the engine-tranny down.

Conventional method requires you to lower the rear of the car just inches from a dolly. Even done correctly this is risky to me, since you can't use jack stands as a backup. I've done it twice this way and didn't feel any more comfortable the second time.

With the lift, you jack the rear up and support it on stands (under the jack pads). With the lift raised into positioned under the engine/tranny, you can then lower the engine onto the lift. You then just lower the lift and slide the engine/tranny out from under the car.

The lift will likely have to be positioned at an angle because of the way its made, but I've done this twice with this method by myself and its much easier, simpler, and safer.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Have fun either way!
Old 11-06-2002, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Looks like Phil (Philinjax) is coming up on Sunday. I'll take some pics and post them to the site.

Thanks for everyone's support and feedback.

Regards,

Karl Ellzey
Old 11-08-2002, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: