Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to Forrest39
Trans overhaul in Bay Area?

Can anybody recommend a good shop to overhaul a 901 tranny in the Bay Area that won't put me in the poor house?
Thanks!

-Kevin
Old 11-10-2002, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

What do you consider poor house ??

Here are some prices on typical parts that fail in a 901:

1st gear slider: 317$ (does it grind going into first ?)

Main shaft bearing: 65$
Pinion bearing : 52$
Dog teeth: 104$ apiece (the tranny uses 5 of them)
Gasket kit: 35$
Synchro rings: 32$ apiece (5 of them)

2-5th slider: 191$ apiece (4 of them)

If the tranny is out of the car it will take a good shop 5 hours to go through and rebuild a box. Figure this area is about 90-100$ an hour. Its not the labor that is going to kill you. A properly rebuilt box will run you 2500$ Replacing worn parts as needed is a different story. The shop wont know what it needs until they pull it apart.

B
Old 11-10-2002, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I know Red-Beard has some redone trannys for sale that would prolly be less than what it would cost you for a rebuild in you area. Check him out, I believe he is charging $750 with your core tranny, and has some ready to ship. I will be up there around X-mas if yuo need cheap transpo (Free). You just come to San Jose and get it.
Mike
-74 BMW R90
Old 11-10-2002, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

What Brad is trying to say is..."most" 914 (and early 911) guys will not pay to correctly rebuild a trans. They will either do a half-a$$ed repair and just replace a couple of parts, hoping it will last another year, OR just go buy another used side-shifter or two for a couple hundred bucks and hope for the best. There were enough of these cars made that usable transmissions do not seem hard to find at all. Unless you are building a hardcore race car or a CW car you hope to keep the rest of your life, the used trans approach is probably the best route.
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle
Old 11-10-2002, 09:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
I agree with Brad except I want to know where he's getting bearings!!!!!

And I found a place where I can get the synch bands for $20 apiece.

This is something I don't understand. People will pay big bucks to build up an engine, etc or do a 6 conversion, but when it comes to the tranny, they go cheap.

My next personal project is rebuilding my spare 6 tranny into a sideshifter and doing a complete overhaul in the process...yup, brand new parts!

If it isn't leaking, check out my tranny article.

James
Old 11-11-2002, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Hopefully, if Redbeard will tell us where to get $20 synco rings, Brad will tell us where to get the bearings.

Ken
Old 11-11-2002, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

>>2-5th slider: 191$ apiece (4 of them)<<

Last time I had mine apart, I only found 2 of those! Must not have been paying attention.
Old 11-11-2002, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks Chris.

I'm not very articulate.

Chris nailed my point. Basically dont call it a rebuild unless you want it completely rebuilt. Call a shop and ask them to rebuild your 914 tranny and your going to get that 2500-3000$ answer. Ask them to replace your worn parts (dont expect a warranty) and you oculd get out as low as 1000$

I know several tranny builders who wont even touch a box unless you pay for a complete rebuild. They cover their backside this way.

Oh.. prices on bearings where what we paid for them 2-3 years ago. We have a stock pile. I know they have gone up (double).

B
Old 11-11-2002, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Using 4 sliders makes it shift better.. ha ha

I was on crack:

1 slider for 2-3 and 1 slider for 4-5

3 total including RV/1st

B
Old 11-11-2002, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: