Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Couple Puzzlers RE: OIL

Not sure how or if these issues are related and/or connected:

-after 1.7 engine freshen up (top end, 1,911 bigger bore) with oil & filter change, (4qts.)
still reads approx. an inch or so too full on dip stick. Just the second oil change since
re-build and it's not done this before.

-torqued the 13mm on the drain/screen nut to 9 ft.lbs per spec, w/new gasket, but still
getting persistent seepage & drip from there.

Oil temp & pressure seem to be where they should be. Getting a little leaking on top around
the filler/breather, dist. area (dual carb set up w/crank case venting to catch tank ) I've not tracked down yet, but it's minor.

The over-full indication makes me wonder possibly stuck OP Relief valve? How would I check? Hate to waste 4 qts. of fresh oil, but feels like I should dig into why the leak at the strainer/screen, even w/fresh gasket.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

p2
Old 06-26-2015, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Ok,how many miles has the engine done since rebuild,have you run it in properly to "bed' the rings,what oil are you running?,if you have just changed the oil just put it in a fresh container and reuse it..but really it isn't expensive after a fresh build.
I have run 20/50 Castrol dino oil in aircooled motors for so long it makes me feel old,it has never failed me,even when I lived in Australia on 40C + days in freeway jam ups.
Your relief valves have little or no effect on your current issues and I'am not sure about 'your overfull-full indication',if the dipstick shows @ the top thats enough.

Report back please.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I believe that 3.7 quarts is the actual capacity of the engine oil. So it's not much of a surprise if you're reading a bit over full with 4 quarts. Other possible suspects might include assembly lube; not sure how much of that gets used but it will eventually wind up as part of the oil supply.

For autoX, we advise people to run their oil about 1/4" over the full mark on their dipstick. It doesn't hurt the engine, and can help keep oil from sloshing away from the pickup tube for just a little bit longer.

Yours sounds a lot higher than that, though!

Hmm. Did you pre-fill the oil filter all the way to the top, and then pour four full quarts into the filler? Could you have mis-counted the number of bottles you put in? (I've mistakenly only put three in before. Oops.)

Does it smell like fuel? If so, you're either running stupid rich, or just plain dumping fuel into the cylinders and it's getting past the rings. If it doesn't reek of fuel, then something else is going on... External oil cooler?

Having one of the valves in the oil system stick open or closed will not affect the level on the dipstick. That's the good news. So you shouldn't need to open things up.

If your engine oil temps and pressures are OK, I say just drive it--but keep an eye on the level, and if it goes up further you really need to investigate!!

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 07-01-2015, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: